Author Topic: New Products & Categories Menu - J! Style, Suffix, Itemid, SSL, Cat Start, Hide  (Read 305988 times)

euro1

• Beginner
Hi, thank you for many important informations . Is it possible to display in ( ) number of products in each category?
Thank you.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Are you asking if you can display X product links in the category menu?

Or are you asking if you can limit the number of products displayed on the category browse page when a category is clicked?

I need more information.

euro1

• Beginner
Than you for quick response.

I like that is possibel to display selected category-ids. What I meant was to display number of products in each category, ie:
Shoes (12)
Dresses (5)

This way customer would know if and how many products are available in any category before he/she clicks on.
bliddyspam (12)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
[UPDATE] 03-07-2010 -> download v1.3
  • Fixed error in showing categories at level 3 or greater
  • Added support to show # of sub-categories and/or products in category, like: (11/23)
  • Files modified: all mod files modified

euro1

• Beginner
It works lie a charm, thank you for unbelievably quick support and feature addition :-)

euro1

• Beginner
If I may, I have a one more questions. How would I go about dropdown menu to choose from different categories and subcategories. (I think it is suckerfish). I would love to have a tabs at the top of the page. I am sure it can be done manually, but my question is if it could be done with category module. If this question does not belong here I apologize. I was searching through forum, but did not really find an answer. Thank you.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Yes, there are many dropdown category modules, and you ca search this forum, the JED, and VM extensions for category dropdown mods.

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
If I may, I have a one more questions. How would I go about dropdown menu to choose from different categories and subcategories. (I think it is suckerfish). I would love to have a tabs at the top of the page. I am sure it can be done manually, but my question is if it could be done with category module. If this question does not belong here I apologize. I was searching through forum, but did not really find an answer. Thank you.

SWMenuPro have a menu system which supports listing VM categories and products in different styles and directions (horizontal and vertical menus supported) as well as normal Joomla menus. You can download the free version which has some restrictions but still gives you good amount of control, or pay $50 for the Pro version and get lots of templates (and the author will be updating the Pro version soon to support multi-column drop down menus and more transition effects). Check it out here:

http://www.swmenupro.com/index.php

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
[UPDATE] 03-09-2010 -> download v1.4 (a big step up in menu options)
  • Added support to easily change Parent, Active, Current Class/ID Suffix
  • Added support to hide a specific, or multiple specific category items
  • Added support to use as a products menu
  • Added support to hide product menu items in a specific category
  • Added support to hide a specific products, or multiple products in menu

klutzon

• Knuckles the Echidna
    • Rage3D
[UPDATE] 03-09-2010 -> download v1.4 (a big step up in menu options)
  • Added support to easily change Parent, Active, Current Class/ID Suffix
  • Added support to hide a specific, or multiple specific category items
  • Added support to use as a products menu
  • Added support to hide product menu items in a specific category
  • Added support to hide a specific products, or multiple products in menu

I can't wait to give this module a try. If it works the way I'd like it to, it could quite possibly be the ultimate Product / Category menu module for VM. :D Thanks for all the awesome updates Forrest!

[edit]: I can confirm that it works amazingly well, especially the hiding of specific category and product by ID. Now I can build the category structure I always wanted to without fear of making the navigation messy and overwhelming for my customers. :)

There are now only two further requests which I would like to see to complete it for my purposes (and possibly others who see the potential in what I'm about to ask :P):

1) Would it be possible to assign two ItemIDs, one for categories and one for product pages? I ask for this so that I will have the ability to show certain modules on category pages alone and others on product pages alone. Currently forcing a single ItemID on all links generated by this menu module means I cannot control the modules that show on browse and flypages, and I have different modules for each.

2) At the moment, with products showing in the menu along with categories, the categories are listed first in the menu followed by products. While I understand the logic behind this, I would like the ability to sort the menu listings alphabetically, so I can expand the category that has subcats / products and still have the menu easily scannable in context to the other items in it. For example, this is what one menu on my site looks like (the items with > are categories with products, while the ones without are products):

Flower Pots >
Furniture >
Light Fittings >
Swimming Pool Furniture >
Ashtrays and Dustbins
Bird Baths
Moulded Animals
Moulded Columns
Picture Frame
Playground
Water Fountains

I would like to sort this particular menu like this:

Ashtrays and Dustbins
Bird Baths
Flower Pots >
Furniture >
Light Fittings >
Moulded Animals
Moulded Columns
Picture Frame
Playground
Swimming Pool Furniture >
Water Fountains

I don't want to do this for every menu, but I would like the ability when I do want to sort like this.

Other than that, Forrest is a STAR! :D

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Thanks or feedback klutzon. I'll consider it :)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
[UPDATE] 03-11-2010 -> download v1.5 (this should be the last update for a bit)
  • Fix: Products not showing when in category with no sub-categories
  • Added options to assign products to a different Itemid Override
  • Added option to choose whether categories or products are listed first
  • Added option to sort categories by "As Ordered" or by "Name"
  • Added option to pre or post pend categories identifier
  • Added option to sort products by "Name" or by "SKU"
  • Added option to pre or post pend products identifier

uglyfashion

• Beginner
Hey I installed it.  Now I'm trying to play.  How do I find the parameters?

uglyfashion

• Beginner
You can find how to use it in Module Manager > Add New Module.  For all those who like me were initially confused :)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Glad you figured it out. It installs like any module for Joomla, with parameters inside the module. Once installed, Joomla will automatically create 1 module in your module list, just unpublished, and typically in the "left" position. You can always create more duplicates of the mod.