Author Topic: New Products & Categories Menu - J! Style, Suffix, Itemid, SSL, Cat Start, Hide  (Read 368801 times)

werkin

• Beginner
Well, that worked perfectly (Thank you!) except for one thing...

I can enable 3 of the modules, but when I enable the 4th module I get the timeout problem and the totally blank page again. Is there somewhere that I can increase the timeout length?

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
That would be in your php.ini or php5.ini file.

werkin

• Beginner
Thanks! I'll see if that works.

lt635

• Beginner
Hi,
I have just loaded over 600 products to my shop and I now have a problem with the menu when I browse sub categories and click next to view more products. I am using Joomla 1.5.23 and Virtuemart 1.1.9.

About the site:
  • I have 2 Virtuemart categories in Joomla main menu (Joomla menu id 3 & 4) with the parameter category id set to the two top level virtuemart id's 6 and 7
  • The virtuemart top levels have each got several sub, and sub-sub-categories.
  • I have 2 mod_vm_cat_menu_specific, one for joomla menu id 3 and one for joomla menu id 4 each set with a category start id (virtuemart id) and start level 1 and stop level 2.
  • For joomla menu id 4, in mod_vm_cat_menu_specific I have also set an store id override to 4 (being joomla menu id)
I thought I had it perfectly setup until I clicked 'next' in the sub-sub category browse page under virtuemart main category 2.  When I click on next the menu switches back to menu one and shows the submenus of menu one but the browse page still shows the items under menu 2.  I need the menu to stay in the chosen category under virtuemart main category 2.

Sample page: http://203.123.59.150/~sunsetbo/index.php/abc-a-sbs?page=shop.browse&category_id=5.  If you click next at the bottom of the page it will switch to 'Books' page and show submenus under this page and not ABS/SBS.

Turning 'debug' on shows that when you click next and also into a product (in the abc/sbs menu) the item id (Joomla menu id) goes back to 3, the item id should stay at 4.  I thought by setting 'store id override categories' to 4 would have fixed this, but it does not.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thank you
Regards
Lene

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
The problem is you have assigned one product to TWO categories.
And then you are using the store_id override to create a second VM id.

VM by default one store_id. So anytime you click a link within VM that is not from the menu where the store_id override is used... the VM code will revert back to the main store itemid.

the way to overcome this is to Grep your files for "Itemid", and add a custom code that "GETS" the current itemid if = to "X", where "X" is your second category's store id override. A bit of a pain, but it's the only way to get this work work correctly in your environment.

lt635

• Beginner
Hi Forrest

Thank you for your reply.

This is my first time using Virtuemart, I'm just getting to know some of the basics.

Is there any other (or better) way to achieve the two categories in the main menu? 

If not, I have MetaMod Pro installed, I might be able to use this to solve my problem.

Regards
Lene

lipi

• Beginner
Hello All!,

First let me say that Forrest made a very very very great work!. Thanks to people like you, the Open Software. community gets bigger and bigger.

Now, I would like to ask a question that is turning me crazy. I am new in Joomla and of course in VirtueMart. I am creating a very simple online shop that has Products and everyone is placed into a category of VirtueMart.

My structure uses Categories and Sub-categories, and a product can be into a Category that has no sub-categories, or into a sub-category. I have a max. of only 2 levels.

I want that, when I click over a Parent category on the menu, a page will be displayed with the subcategories of these Parent category. For example, if I click on "Art", then I want a page to display 3 boxes with an image
and the name of the subcategories Art -> "ArtOnDemand", "Nou Digital Gallery", "Independents" .

In fact I want what you have in your website, when you click for example on "Headsets".

I managed to do these when you click on the "Products" menĂº link on the "Main Menu".

I see that the problem is that when you click on a link on your menu, it tries to show the products of the category or subcategory, but because these has not products, it shows "Category is empty".

I don't understand, could someone help me please?

lipi

• Beginner
I have to say that I was getting mad with these problem.

Finally I found the solution:

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=88020.0

It's due to "developers" decision to put a comparison without a "!" , that makes that if a category is empty, they didn't show it.

Its a "problem" at the version 1.1.9 of VirtueMart.

Take a look at: administrator/components/com_virtuemart/html/shop.browse.php differences between V1.1.8 and 1.1.9:

around line 85 in 1.1.8

elseif( $num_rows == 0 && empty($product_type_id) && !empty($child_list)) {

becomes

elseif( $num_rows == 0 && empty($product_type_id) && empty($child_list)) {

(notice the missing ! in 1.1.9)

Try to put the !, and it solves the problem.

Hello All!,

First let me say that Forrest made a very very very great work!. Thanks to people like you, the Open Software. community gets bigger and bigger.

Now, I would like to ask a question that is turning me crazy. I am new in Joomla and of course in VirtueMart. I am creating a very simple online shop that has Products and everyone is placed into a category of VirtueMart.

My structure uses Categories and Sub-categories, and a product can be into a Category that has no sub-categories, or into a sub-category. I have a max. of only 2 levels.

I want that, when I click over a Parent category on the menu, a page will be displayed with the subcategories of these Parent category. For example, if I click on "Art", then I want a page to display 3 boxes with an image
and the name of the subcategories Art -> "ArtOnDemand", "Nou Digital Gallery", "Independents" .

In fact I want what you have in your website, when you click for example on "Headsets".

I managed to do these when you click on the "Products" menĂº link on the "Main Menu".

I see that the problem is that when you click on a link on your menu, it tries to show the products of the category or subcategory, but because these has not products, it shows "Category is empty".

I don't understand, could someone help me please?

• Beginner
    • redlobsterdesign
Hi Forrest,

Thanks for the extension, I have just implemented it and it is working great in Safari and Firefox,
however it is flickering in IE8, when the user moves between sub menu items, it flickers.

Has anyone come up against this before ?

Thanks.
jp
- - -
redlobsterdesign co uk

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Dunno your settings. How about a link to view via PM?

• Beginner
    • redlobsterdesign
Thanks Forrest,

I have sent you a PM.

Many thanks.
jp
- - -
redlobsterdesign co uk

filete

• Beginner
than ks ;D

CreativeDesigns

• Creative Designs Studio
  • Skype Name: creative.designs.za
Hi Forrest, Before downloading this hack, I wanted to check with you if it will possibly fix the issue i'm having.

if I go to www.mydomain.com/products.html the page displays perfectly, but as soon as I click on one of the product categories, it changes the url to direct to something to the effect of www.mydomain.com/<b>registration.html</b>?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

The problem is that registration.html, should in fact be products.html

Do you think your hack will work for this problem i'm having?

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
@CreativeDesigns, the problem you have is with your master VM Itemid. I cannot stress enough this problem! In your case, registration.html is your Master VM Itemid. This is easily fixed by followiny my instructions. Beyond that, this modules is not a hack, but a complete Joomla module for VM. I will work likely for your needs once you fix your itemid problem. I suggest you turn off your SEF for testing. Please see my post here (specifically "I did create a Joomla menu link to VM component" section):
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=69544.0

CreativeDesigns

• Creative Designs Studio
  • Skype Name: creative.designs.za
Thanks Forrest. I have been following your troubleshooting
* turned SEF off on global config _ i didn't have any sef on virtuemart
* testing this on the front end shows it's definitely a problem with the itemid
* I know that in the beginning I DID create a Joomla menu link to VM component - it's called Products
* I additionally added a menu item called Register so that there is a place for users to register themselves so they can buy from the shop
* I added the vm_Categories list module to all of the "product" pages. This seems to be where the problem lies
* If I click on Products or Register from the top menu, it works fine. But as soon as I click any of the product links on the categories list on the page, thats where the problem occurs

Does this help at all?