Author Topic: How to use own bank for credit card processing  (Read 15600 times)

alvaradomfg

• Beginner
How to use own bank for credit card processing
« on: May 02, 2008, 22:16:55 pm »
Hello:

Just wanted to know if it's"

1. Possible to use our own local bank to process the online credit card payments.

2. if so, how do I go about doing this. I already have a merchant account.

Thanks

FavoriteU

Re: How to use own bank for credit card processing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 21:46:23 pm »
You need three things to process credit card payments online.

1. Merchant Account (this is how you set up to accept Credit Cards, etc)
2. Gateway (something like Authorize.Net which is a real time link to approve the credit cards, place holds, "capture" them (for payment) or void/cancel/refund).
3. A Bank Account.

Your Merchant Account is just a pass through really... they have the agreements w/ Visa, Discover, etc and are like a broker selling it to you for a commission.  They and your Gateway will both need your Bank Account information so they can electronically deposit the proceeds from your sales (less commissions) and deduct money from your Bank Account for monthly fees or refunds.

Some local banks can provide the Merchant Account part as well, and many of those will even link you to your Gateway, but even if they set all three up, chances are you are still using three different companies.

As an alternative, it is possible to process credit cards offline (i.e. get the credit card information from the store and manually process the credit cards through a terminal or some other connection).  This will remove the Gateway part although you will have to pay for the terminal or software.  There are security issues to be addressed here too as there are specific requirements in storing (or not storing) payment information and customer details (i.e. it is against all merchant agreements to ever store the CVV2 code at any time... it should be passed for payment verification and instantly forgotten/deleted).

Hope this information helps.

willowtree

• Willow Tree Crafts
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 14:12:39 pm »

As an alternative, it is possible to process credit cards offline (i.e. get the credit card information from the store and manually process the credit cards through a terminal or some other connection).  This will remove the Gateway part although you will have to pay for the terminal or software.  There are security issues to be addressed here too as there are specific requirements in storing (or not storing) payment information and customer details (i.e. it is against all merchant agreements to ever store the CVV2 code at any time... it should be passed for payment verification and instantly forgotten/deleted).
Hope this information helps.

Hi,

We don't currently process cards offline, we have a gateway etc for those, and it IS against our merchant agreement to take online sales and process through our terminal, but just out of curiosity, I cannot work out how you can process the card offline if you are not allowed to store the cvv code at any time? do you know how this works?
Please add your VM and Joomla Version to your signature to make it easier to help you:

Most of my code posted in the forum is for VirtueMart 1.0  -  not for 1.1

FavoriteU

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 14:41:54 pm »
Well, with online processing it should be passed encrypted through the gateway for verification online.  Never stored on your own end.  The CVV2 is kind of like a password that the credit card user enters at transaction.  Think about it that way and you know why it shouldn't be stored.  Would you want every ATM to store your pin?  No... they just transmit it (hopefully) blindly to their server to verify who you are.  Or another way to think about it is allowing your browser to save passwords and form data, if you allow this than anyone else using your computer can log-in to your accounts without your permission and the sites will think they had verified who you are.

I don't know how you don't store the CVV2 if processing offline either.  The safest way would be to choose not to ask for it, and then pay a slightly higher rate per transaction because you don't have that extra step of verification.  Most merchant accounts will allow you to process without it, they just charge more because they believe the likelihood of chargebacks or fraud is higher.

In fact, if set up properly with your merchant, telling them you are doing card not present transactions without a gateway, I would be willing to bet they don't want you to process with the CVV2 in the first place as it defeats the purpose.

willowtree

• Willow Tree Crafts
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 15:38:36 pm »
Thanks, I was just curious as it os not something we do anyway, all our online transactions go through a gateway so we do not store ANY cc details at all, which i like as i don't have toi worry about them being hacked!

I've just checked our manual for customer not present transactions and it says:

"You must also obtain the following information.....

The Card security code on the card, which is the last three or four numbers in the signature strip. NOTE this number must only be used for the transaction being undertaken and not stored/recorded for future use"

We are prevented from taking transactions via the internet with our merchant.
Please add your VM and Joomla Version to your signature to make it easier to help you:

wilded1

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 13:40:40 pm »
I want to use off-line payments using credit cards. However the The card details are not complete in the order details, the last four digits being starred out.
How can I get the full details of the card to be processed?

Also I would of thought that an email would have been sent out to Admin as well as the customer when an order is placed? I don't seem to receive anything to Admin, only the customer email goes out.

Dave

crazyprices

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:13:25 am »
I want to use off-line payments using credit cards. However the The card details are not complete in the order details, the last four digits being starred out.
How can I get the full details of the card to be processed?
Also I would of thought that an email would have been sent out to Admin as well as the customer when an order is placed? I don't seem to receive anything to Admin, only the customer email goes out.
Dave

Normally when we process offline the email the admin receives will have the last four digits of the Credit Card number and the rest starred out, we then log into the admin and retrieve the remainder of the credit card number from the order!

For Example an order is placed on the site under order details the credit card number appears as 000000000000****

The admin email we receive notifying us of the payment the card number appears as ************0000.  Of course if you are not receiving these emails then you will have a problem but that's how it worked in vm 1.0 and has worked in vm 1.1 for us.

kazmiah

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:31:55 am »
Hi - I am using the offline payment processing (without gateway). I understand how to connect the two records to get the credit card number - but in neither form do I see the credit card type ... visa etc.

Where do I find that information? I have come across one other post about this, but didn't find a solution. This is really urgent for me as the site has gone live.

willowtree

• Willow Tree Crafts
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 13:13:37 pm »
I'm not sure this info is held anywhere. Why do you need this?

kazmiah

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 13:58:30 pm »
Thanks for your reply - I am not familiar with manually processing a credit card...but I would have thought that you would need to know what type of credit card was being used ??? VM is used to process the order, get payment details such as name, number etc, then it is manually processed with existing bank credit card processor.

If it is that the card type isn't required to manually process do let me know (then I can breathe a huge sigh of relief), but why would you need to ask in the front end for the credit card type, if it wasn't required for processing? (I really am new to this ecommerce game)

willowtree

• Willow Tree Crafts
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 14:04:20 pm »
it might depend on where you are based, personally we don't need to know it. the card machine deals with it all. You can tell what type of card it is by the numbers at the beginning, try googling for it,

hth

taa145

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:36:59 am »
I am new to Virtuemart and trying to set up an onlien electornics store.  Here are few of the things I have already done and need some help.

1.  I installed Joomal instance (1.5)
2.  Installed VirtueMart componet (and related moduals).

The shop will be hosted on http://www.lypha.com/
What is the next step that I need to take to get the payment processing in place?  I know I need to get SSL certificate, Merchent account and the Payment Gateway.  Here are the things that I am not sure about.

1.  How do I get SSL certificate implemented in the website?
2.  The merchent account I want to get is through the BB&T bank because they transfer the funds to your checking the same date.  But they asked if Virtue mart is PCI compliant?  I am not sure how to answer that question.
3.  Also the bank said they can give the Payment Gatway (Authorize.net). But I though it already comes with Joomla component, and bank doesn't have to set this up?  Please help. thanks.

willowtree

• Willow Tree Crafts
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:44:36 am »
It all depends exaclty how the payment will be processed.

For example, I use the worldpay gateway, this transfers the customers to the worldpay site to process the transaction. This means I do not receive any card details, or process the transactions myself so I don't need the SSL certificate or need to be PCI compliant as all those functions are on the Worldpay site.

It sounds like you actually want to receive the card details through the VM site and process them 'manually' As far as I know VM is not actually PCI Compliant to be used in this way, but I may be wrong. PCI compliance is all to do with access to card numbers and security. You will also have to look at the security of your database and email as I beleive that VM separates the card details and some are in the email and some are in the database.

To look at your questions:
1. You will need to get SSL set up by your host, there will likely be a charge, or you might be able to purchase  a certificate from somewhere else, eg verisign, and they may be able to help you implement it.

2. I would say that VM out of the box is not PCI Compliant, but as I said, I may be wrong, and I hope I am :) This is a huge issue though and not one you can chance.

3. Authorize will not come though joomla, but it is likely installed with VM. You will need the bank to set it up fopr you though which will give you access to the service, the gateway in VM will not have access to the service by default, but you won't need to install the gatehway itself. I  hope that makes sense. Your bacnk will give you access to the servcie, and the payment gateway in VM will need that access to process the payments.

hth

php_programmer

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 17:09:33 pm »
Is Virtuemart PCI compliant yet?

PRO

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • VirtueMart Version: 3+
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 13:23:35 pm »
I have been in the credit card processing industry for years.,

NO shopping cart is PCI compliant for manual processing. If a data comprimise happens YOU are liable.

J3.9+ VM 3.4.2
Slowest Page Speed Score (88) (Category)
Fastest Page Speed Score (94-96) (productdetails)