Author Topic: Moving Child Products to Parent level  (Read 2972 times)

texinick

Moving Child Products to Parent level
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:14:13 am »
I have a client who set up her shopping cart system with a fair amount if Parent/Child products.  There is one Parent item, where she wants to move the 12 child items to the Parent level.

Is this possible at all?  Any plug-ins to do this?  If not, are there any data changes in the database I can do to manually move them?

Thanks

Nirm

• Contributing Developer
    • Me, My Work and I
Re: Moving Child Products to Parent level
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:08 am »
yes this is possible - you will need something like CSV Improved component (www.csvimproved.com) to export your database to an excel file. You will be able to identify parent/child products from their id's. You can then manually edit these.

I have done this in a pre 1.x.x version of VM and it was not difficult. You just need to be careful.

And please backup database first.
A lot of questions are answered in the VM 1.1 User Manual please read it before asking questions.
-------------------------------------
http://www.nirmoysomaia.com

texinick

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:45:13 am »
Thanks for that. 

I used CSVImproved to import the data originally, so I already have that installed. I seem to recall the parent sku field.. do I only need to clear that, and set the category?

Is it only the product table that needs to be edited?  No additional tables?

Thanks.. and sorry for all the questions!

Nirm

• Contributing Developer
    • Me, My Work and I
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 17:45:16 pm »
from memory you need to pay attention to the product id AND product parent id (or is it parent product id) and manipulate these. Sorry I cannot be more specific as it has been a couple of years since i did it last.
A lot of questions are answered in the VM 1.1 User Manual please read it before asking questions.
-------------------------------------
http://www.nirmoysomaia.com