Author Topic: "Vendors" can enter/edit their own items  (Read 9615 times)

Thor Z

• Beginner
"Vendors" can enter/edit their own items
« on: December 31, 2006, 01:11:36 am »
I'm setting up a storefront for artists.
It would make my life easier if each artist (Vendor) could enter and edit their own items.
That way, I could focus on marketing the site, not entering data.
Thor

profotograf

• Beginner
Re: "Vendors" can enter/edit their own items
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 14:09:21 pm »
I run a store with merchants who sell products similar to what you are doing.  They cannot edit their stuff, so I am forced to do it all by hand.  Trust me with over 50 merchants with several new products a week, I am pulliing out my hair now as I have to upload the products myself to the server, I have to detail the products, setup the downloadable files, and put up all the additional images - up to 4 - in the file manager.  I'd love to put this in the hands of the merchant -- except using the Vendor system still screws up the entire store, and I cannot allow my merchants to have SuperAdministrator access -- oh my god no!!!!

This would be a great thing if someone would finally talk to those of us with the experience in this area.

Greetings,
Antonio
PoserAddicts.com

profotograf

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 17:39:51 pm »
Weird that I end up replying to my own message but here goes:

I finally gave up asking and asking and asking.

I am programming a standalone webpage in PHP and MySQL to handle all the data input/entry/management of downloadable products sold by external vendors (herein called "MERCHANTS").

This includes a completely duplicated editing front-end for the MERCHANTS who can enter themselves into a pending system list, which will allow them to submit products for sale, which in turn can be uploaded and put into a testing hold pattern, then be tested by online testers, and then approved for sale.

This in turn will add the MERCHANT as a Manufacturer to the system as well as a Banner Client, and add their first product to the system, and will set it with a NOT PUBLISHED flag, but will identify to the Admin that it is pending the final checkmark.

The MERCHANT can also submit a banner for every product they set into the store, limited to 1 banner per product.  This they can automatically upload with their product, either initially or later on.

A MERCHANT can also run reporting on current sales of their products only.  This functionality cannot be given to a user internally in the VM system as a "storeadmin" as they could edit everyone's products and that would be disastrous.

A MERCHANT can edit their own products, update their thumbnails, promo images, descriptions, prices, even put a product on sale for a period of time.

Additionally, there are other fields in the separate MERCHANT table which allow me to handle the agreements to which they became MERCHANTs in the first place: ie: to make money, and to get a Percentage of their product sales at the end of the month paid out via PAYPAL.

I require the MERCHANTs to input important agreement information into a MERCHANT table, which includes their PAYPAL address, so they can be paid.  They also can determine a minimum amount of payout before a PAYPAL transfer is made to them by the store.  Minimum set by me is $35.00 hard coded into the system.  The payout system will be integrated into this system so that only the SUPERADMINISTRATOR can use it to pay the MERCHANTs.

This will allow a review of the final sales figures before transferring money to PAYPAL.  The final payment via PAYPAL is currently a BY-HAND process, and may be automated in the future, but for now, a paper report can be printed out, and used to transfer the monies to the MERCHANTs, to be on the safe side.  Once this has been tested for a while, then it will be automated fully.

Another part of the system will be the assignment of MERCHANT created products to TESTERs.

TESTER accounts will be made and given to special people who are responsible to test and package the DOWNLOADABLEs with licenses, and READ-ME files and see that everything works as described by the MERCHANT.  This will include a reporting system which will identify stages of TESTING, and APPROVAL of a PRODUCT before it is released to the STORE.

If there is a problem or a lag in the TESTING time, the MERCHANT can find out why, with a simple click on their NEW PRODUCT TESTING STATUS option.

A comments section will be added to each PRODUCT so that the MERCHANT can comment on the product and let a TESTER know what something is supposed to do, information that is not available later to the public.

So far, alot of planning has gone into this and I have written the framework of the system.  I am currently researching every one of the related VM MySQL TABLES and the Joomla ones to make sure I get everything correct in the final versions.

=============================

As I run two 3D Graphics Online stores selling over 500 products each, hand-keying products is not an option anymore.  And I am tired of having to create copy text and detail the HTML when that is really the MERCHANT's work...

=============================

If anyone is remotely interested in this, and actually sells DOWNLOADABLE products via VM, and would like to be part of this project, please drop me a note.

Greetings from Braunschweig, Germany
Antonio Rodriguez
PoserAddicts.com

ecockrell

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 21:06:43 pm »
Antonio, this sounds like a great addition.  And a lot of work.

- Eric

profotograf

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 15:30:42 pm »
Well, sadly the Vendor system almost worked for me, but it bombed on the creation of Categories and saving anything.  So I was screwed.

Plus I asked and asked for certain things to be added and changed in the way downloadables were done with VM but no one responded or even cared.  The future of the web and websales is going to be selling downloadable products, software and files.  And this isn't properly addressed in VM, but with an add-on it might be handled.  I am still finalising what I need to do, but I am getting close to the final layout of what version 1.0 will be and look like.

I'll keep you all informed.

Antonio

VB Enterprises

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 00:39:02 am »
BUMP

We currently have a client looking to have vendors manage their own products as well. We're still figuring out if we should use VM or another shopping cart...Please keep us posted.

hero

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 01:57:04 am »
Great plans... but what's the status about this ?

looking forward to read this as I have a customer with the same needs

Eric Sherwood

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 21:06:23 pm »
This sounds like a great idea! If I could program, I'd help.

tudoroiuj

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 22:05:28 pm »
Hi,
I am interested also... tell me how can I help you?

TJ