Author Topic: [SOLVED] Changing SKU to ISBN and Manufacturer to Author  (Read 14169 times)

ps

• Beginner
[SOLVED] Changing SKU to ISBN and Manufacturer to Author
« on: December 13, 2006, 11:03:18 am »
Hello All !  ;D
I am trying to start an online bookshop, and I want to change the SKU to ISBN, and Manufacturer attribute to Author.
Additionally, it would be awesome if I could also introduce a new product attribute called 'Keywords' - which will be keywords related to the book, but this is not essential.

How could I do this?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks a ton !  8)

Rafael Hernandez

• Beginner
Re: Changing SKU to ISBN and Manufacturer to Author
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 20:34:45 pm »
Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation.  I run a music publishing company and want to change 'Manufacturers' to 'Composers' (etc.).  After a long time searching the virtuemart.net forums, I found the solution on Google (on a Ukrainian site for virtuemart documentation)!  Now I know where to change this information, the solution seems too obvious!

Try this:

Go to --> administrator/components/com virtuemart/languages/english.php
Open the file in an editor and do a case sensitive search for "MANUFACTURER".  For example, in changed 'Manufacturer' to 'Composer', in some parts of the site by taking:  var $_PHPSHOP_MANUFACTURER_MOD = 'Manufacturer';
and changing it to:  var $_PHPSHOP_MANUFACTURER_MOD = 'Composer';
You'll have to scour the file and make sure you change all instances properly (ie. 'Composers' [plural], 'Composer Information', etc.)

Do the same for 'SKU' to change to 'ISBN'

Here is an image from my changes:

Now, I'm suspecting that, like me, you'd like to have an option to enter in a Composer/Author with a separate First Name, Last Name option (right now changing 'Manufacturer' is only one field).  It seems like this would take much more customization and actual tweaking of the database (first_name, last_name columns in the manufacturers table?).  Then, it seems like a JOIN could be performed in order to put the name together properly.  I don't have a solution for this right now, unfortunately.

IMHO, This would make for a nice FAQ like so:
Q: How do I change the various labels found throughout Virtuemart such as 'Product', 'Price', 'Manufacturer', and so on?
A: To change product, price, manufacturer and other labels in Virtuemart, navigate to administrator/components/com virtuemart/languages/english.php in your installation, locate and change the variables which match the field(s) you wish to change.  For instance, var $_PHPSHOP_MANUFACTURER_FORM_INFO_LBL = 'Manufacturer Information' will change the way 'Manufacturer Information' is displayed throughout Virtuemart.

Repeat the above process for each language of Virtuemart you have installed.
---
Of course, it would be nice if when you navigated to the FAQs on the Virtuemart main page it actually took you to questions.  :-\

Hope this helps!  ;D

Rafael

[attachment cleanup by admin]

ps

• Beginner
Re: Changing SKU to ISBN and Manufacturer to Author
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:11:11 am »
Hey, thanks a ton ! That was really helpful !  :)

abcART.ca

• Beginner
Re: [SOLVED] Changing SKU to ISBN and Manufacturer to Author
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 00:34:08 am »
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I run a online art gallery and want to change 'Manufacturers information' to 'Artist information'. Probably in newer version of VirtueMart must be other way to solve my problem because the addressing dose not match:
administrator/components/com virtuemart/languages/english.php

I am using "VirtueMart 1.1.2 stable" and in this directory are lots of folders. I tried to make a change in: administrator/components/com virtuemart/languages/common/english.php
unfortunately no success.  :( 

I appreciated any suggestions to make this change.

Cheers
Toby 

Brienly09

• Beginner
    • of russian wifes
SOLVED Changing SKU to ISBN and Manufacturer to Author
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 13:44:23 pm »
I need a tutorial on changing the color of xp taskbar and start button. Can the word start be changed also?

Anne M

• Beginner
    • Anne's Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 17:58:07 pm »
Language file to change Manufacturer in Author in VM 1.1.9 version in
/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/languages/manufacturer/

groetjes,
Anne M

andyadams

• Beginner
  • Skype Name: andyadams
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 08:49:12 am »
Not sure if this would be the correct placement of this thread, but seen the question asked before in here.I want to change manufacturer to Author, SKU to ISBN for bookstore in VM2.I am building a book site using joomla 1.7.what file in back end shall I change so that the manufacturer would become Author, SKU becomes ISBN in the front end.