News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Remove password from registration email

Started by leahRae, March 15, 2013, 16:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leahRae

Hi,

I have searched and can't find a way to remove the password from the registration email. I have looked in my language files and can't figure out what to change or remove.

I am using Joomla 2.5 and Virtuemart 2.0.18

Thanks for any assistance.
Dipping my toes into Virtuemart.

jenkinhill

That is a Joomla setting. Go the the User manager options and set "Send Password" to no.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

leahRae

leahRae

Moved a bit fast on that "solved" button.

This actually was a Virtuemart issue. I needed to change components > com_virtuemart > views > user > tmpl > mail_html_reguser.php    I changed the password_clear to password_hidden, and then changed my language > en_gb > en_gb.com_virtuemart.ini line 623 from "your password: " to "your password: ******". Of course I could have just removed the password_clear line all together.

Hope this helps someone   ;)

jasonyon

This helped me! thanks leahRae!

Virtuemart devs, why would you even show a password in the registration email?

jenkinhill

It is Joomla default. Nothing at all to do with VM!
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Osearcaigh

This is actually a Virtuemart issue - the Joomla setting for sending user passwords does not influence the Virtuemart code:

echo JText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_YOUR_PASSWORD')  . $this->user->password_clear . $li. $li;

Remember flks, use a template overrise if you want to comment that line out of components > com_virtuemart > views > user > tmpl > mail_html_reguser.php 

Tested with VM 2.0.6 and J 2.5.22

AH

QuoteIt is Joomla default. Nothing at all to do with VM!

Agree with Frank  VM is disclosing the password via email in the registration mailing.

components/com_virtuemart/views/user/tmpl/mail_html_reguser.php
and
components/com_virtuemart/views/user/tmpl/mail_raw_reguser.php

echo JText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_YOUR_PASSWORD')  . $this->user->password_clear . $li. $li;

Many sites do this, it is up to you whether you assign an override.

It should be noted that :-

Joomla does disclose the password for registration that requires activation! (of course this is a langauge element so can be overriden - without a template change)

If no activiation is necessary, the password is not disclosed.

COM_USERS_EMAIL_REGISTERED_WITH_ACTIVATION_BODY="Hello %s,\n\nThank you for registering at %s. Your account is created and must be activated before you can use it.\nTo activate the account click on the following link or copy-paste it in your browser:\n%s \n\nAfter activation you may login to %s using the following username and password:\n\nUsername: %s\nPassword: %s"
COM_USERS_EMAIL_REGISTERED_WITH_ADMIN_ACTIVATION_BODY="Hello %s,\n\nThank you for registering at %s. Your account is created and must be verified before you can use it.\nTo verify the account click on the following link or copy-paste it in your browser:\n %s \n\nAfter verification an administrator will be notified to activate your account. You'll receive a confirmation when it's done.\nOnce that account has been activated you may login to %s using the following username and password:\n\nUsername: %s\nPassword: %s"
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0