News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

SMTP Error: The following recipients failed

Started by Edlam, March 04, 2016, 14:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edlam

Hey,

I wish VirtueMart to send emails to both seller and buyer when an order is placed. When I am in the Order tab and manually change orders from Pending to Confirmed, I get the following errors:

SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: customer@email.com
SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: seller@email.com
Could not send a message to CustomerName, customer@email.com

I am able to send out newsletters with AcyMailing, and JSN UniForm sucessfully emails form entries to my email. Based on this, is it safe to conclude that the error is with VirtueMart and not Joomla global configurations?

I realize it is hard to help with such limited information, but knowing whether to troubleshoot Joomla or VirtueMart can be very helpful. And if you have any additional suggestions, that would be a bonus.

Thank you for taking your time to read this post!

PS: When manually changing order status I also get the following error:
- vmError: Warning extension of the image is a png, tpcdf has problems with that in the header, choose a jpg or gif
I have (maybe incorrectly) assumed this is not related to the issue at hand.

Joomla 3.4.8
VirtueMart 3.0.12

Jörgen

Hello

Insert a correct image type not .PNG, choose .JPG of .GIF.

This could probably solve the mailing issue. TCPDF breaks the email.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Edlam

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am uncertain what image it is referring to so I am working on figuring out that now. I will let you know if it solved it.

Edlam

I changed the image to .jpg and the tcpdf error is gone. However, I am still getting the SMTP errors.

Do you have any other suggestions to how I can solve the problem?

Thank you for your time!

GJC Web Design

My suspicion would be that the sender email is not correct and the server has cross domain sender restrictions?
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Edlam

Thank you for your reply.

To me, it is not intuitive to find the sender email in virtuemart. However, I assume it is the one found in VirtueMart > Store > Store > Ekstra Information (Tab)?

This email is from the same domain as the webhotel. It is also the same email as the email that successfully sends out newsletters with AcryMailing.

fredrik442

Hi,

Did you manage to solve this problem Edlam? I think I have the same issue with my VirtueMart..

Edlam

So by changing the global joomla email configuration from SMTP to PHP mail, the automatic order emails are now working fine.

This forces me to read up on SMTP vs PHP mail vs Sendmail. I had for an unknown reason assumed that the global configuration had to be SMTP. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the AcyMailing worked fine with SMTP cofiguration, so I didn't think changing anything in global configuration would help, but it did.

I am unsure whether to mark this thread as solved or not, as I have no expertise regarding SMTP and PHP mail. To my knowledge, this is a workaround that can be both good or terrible, but not a solution regarding errors when using SMTP configuration.