News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Migrating Users from old site to new site Joomla 2 VM2 to Joomla 3 VM3

Started by samlf3rd, March 17, 2015, 17:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samlf3rd

Hello,
I have a site setup that is currently running great, but it is Joomla 2.5 and VM 2.
I also have a new server setup with a clean install on everything Joomla 3 with VM3 and I am trying to transfer my users and products, possibly even the orders as well. Can someone please help? I need to get all my data transferred over to my new site.

I did look through the forums but I found a lot of people who upgraded-we moved to a new server and needed a clean install.

Is there a component? Do I have to do something in the database? I don't see anything in the migration area in VM3

Thank you in advance!

GJC Web Design

Personally I would try upgrading the original (copy of course) VM2 to VM3
that takes care of all the VM side - shoppers, orders, products
then J2 to J3

new template

job done
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

jenkinhill

Yes, it is easier to let Joomla and VM take care of the updating itself, which also fixes the database tables for the new versions. Then all you have to do it to re-template.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

samlf3rd

Thanks guys, but we want to start with a nice fresh install, but have tons of clients and orders as it stands-so I hear you on the upgrade.
The big problem is that this site is currently on a Godaddy shared server, and when I just try to copy the files to a new server and database I get the white screen.
I see that the permissions are entirely different from one server to the other, so I am messing with permissions right now but I keep getting a white screen on both front end and admin.
The other problem is that by doing an upgrade in VM or Joomla causes the site to break. And since this site is a live store that does a lot of business it is hard to take it down fast enough to try certain things without breaking everything.

Any help on how to migrate users would be great. We can deal without having the orders and products transferred. We can always upload the products again no biggie.

So any help on the white screen or just transferring users would be great!

Could it be that there are specific user permissions that transferred over?
Thanks

jenkinhill

You should use Akeeba backup to move the site from the crapdaddy server and install on the new. Then there will be no permissions problems. 

For the hard way with many possibilities of problems :  You can copy the VM image files to the new host and then use phpMyAdmin to move all the VM tables and the Joomla user table to the new db to replace the tables already there (change the tables prefix as necessary). I have not checked to see if the J user table is different between the versions, but if so maybe Joomla's database repair tool can fix that. For the VM tables you can use the Install or if necessary update tables tool.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

GJC Web Design

Yes - your really going the wrong way about this...

1. Godaddy you will always struggle with

2. as Jenks says - use Akeeba (assuming you can get it to run on Godaddy to get the backup) .. then your free to experiment without killing your live site

Quotebut we want to start with a nice fresh install

once you have a test version of your current site - doing a manual upgrade - i.e copying the Joomla 3 files manually (I have posted here somewhere how to do this) after upgrading VM to 3.0.x  means you have a fresh site with all the currnt users, orders and products intact
GJC Web Design
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component

betterlead

Quote from: jenkinhill on March 17, 2015, 18:37:09 PM
Yes, it is easier to let Joomla and VM take care of the updating itself, which also fixes the database tables for the new versions. Then all you have to do it to re-template.
Hehe,,, guys, you make it sound so easy. Well, I have come so far, I have a working backend after upgrading from VM2 to VM3, but not the front end. That is of course, because I don't have any VM template working with J2.5 and VM3. So here is the problem, how do i get from here? I tried to upgrade to J3 with the site in this condition but all fails. (When I upgraded to J3, i got "500" at the frontend and JHtml: :jquery is not supported. The file doesn't exist.) The crash is total and I have to begin again, all from frame one with Akeeba and kickstart. ( http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=128886.new;topicseen#new )

So again, what is the next step for me to take? How do I "re-template"? (Yes I have the new template for J3 and VM3 - when do I install it?)

Thanks for reading this. :)
Live site runs on Joomla 3.9.24 & VM 3.8.6 10373

PHP: 7.3.26

samlf3rd

Yes, it turns out to be a nightmare everytime...
I tried installing a few different versions of Akeeba backup but each time I get a white screen (akeeba 3.6.12 & 3.6.9).
On the old server I am running PHP 5.2.17 so if you know a version that will work on there let me know.

Otherwise I am kinda screwed.
Can you guys tell me exactly which database tables I need to copy/move to get my users from my old site into to my fresh install?
I remember I did it in J1.5 and I had to move like three or four tables just to get the users.

GJC Web Design

I have done since Xmas at least 40 either J2.5/VM2.6 or J1.5/VM1.1. to J3.3.x or 3.4/VM3.0.x

I posted my approach and also  here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=128103.msg440004#msg440004

and some good advice here: http://joomla.stackexchange.com/questions/1158/upgrade-from-2-5-to-3-x-overview

QuoteThat is of course, because I don't have any VM template working with J2.5 and VM3.

why are you even using VM template over rides at this stage? - get rid of the html/com_virtuemart folder from your template
VM will work in fact use a basic Joomla beez template at this stage

Getting to J3 means a good step by step approach as outlined in the stackexchange post

FIRST: disable in extensions->manage ALL plugins, extensions and comps that may not be J3 compatible
make sure ALL extensions are the latest possible J2.6 versions esp. things like Akeeba
Go to a std Joomla template - beez

as soon as you get J3 installed go to the admin isus and FE protostar templates

QuoteJHtml: :jquery is not supported

that is J2.6 code - you have something - probably the template not using J3 code

replace JHtml::_('behavior.jquery');   with  JHtml::_('jquery.framework');

some tips for common upgrade errors

Use of undefined constant DS
add at top of offending file

if(!defined('DS')) define('DS', DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR);
500 - JHtmlBehavior::mootools not found - J3
Replace
JHtml::_('behavior.mootools');
with
JHtml::_('behavior.framework');
500 - Class 'JParameter' not found - J3
Replace
if(defined( '_JEXEC' )) return new JParameter($param, $path);
with
            if(defined( '_JEXEC' )) return new JRegistry($param, $path);

GJC Web Design