News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

VM 1.0.12 to 2.0.20b Migration Possible?

Started by olesek, July 09, 2013, 03:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olesek

Hello All,

I currently have a client with a 1.0.12 VM site running Joomla 1.0.13. They have about 11,000 customers, 800 active products, and 1,400 inactive products. I'd like to upgrade them to Joomla 2.5 using a clean install and then [b"]somehow"[/b] import their current customers and products (including product images) into VM? Is this even possible? Their older version of VM has no export capabilities (that I know of). I've looked around but can't find much on upgrading suck an outdated site.

Thoughts?

jenkinhill

VM1.1 did have a CSV product importer/exporter - called "CSV upload" under the products menu. An early form of CSVI you can maybe  use that to export proucts, manipulate the data in Excel (or I'd use Openoffice.org's Calc program) and try to import into a new VM2 install. http://www.csvimproved.com/  You would have to work out a way to manage images, though.

Users are more difficult. I doubt if you could transfer their address details, but maybe get their usernames as they are stored as Joomla users. Update a copy of the old site to J1.5 (if you can get hold of 1.5) and then to J2.5 & copy the user tables across? I think you would lose their passwords, though.

Quite a few hours work involved....
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

olesek

Jenkinhill,

Thank you for the feedback. I think I'll copy the old site to a dev server, create a dev server with a fresh install of VM on Joomla 2.5, and try migrating using your method. I gotta a lot of work cut out for this one.

-olesek