News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Create Log File

Started by toad78, April 24, 2013, 20:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toad78

J2.5, VM2.0.14
I would like to be able to create a log file that would record VM errors. I have been experiencing issues with VM2, but cannot pinpoint whether it's VM, or the payment gateway, or another source.

How may I proceed with this creation?

John2400

Hi toad78,

Obviously you can turn these on or use the Log records on your server. I have had help from others in the past that use these. If you use CPanel it keeps a record of your files.

toad78

Unfortunately, no. Control Panel is not being used and the error log files that are generated only contain errors pertaining to users who have log in errors when accessing their account or if the admin enters their info. incorrectly.

I need something more precise in relation to errors generated by VM.

John2400

Look for "JP Logs"  - joomla extension maybe - spanish- developer maybe.

toad78

So then I should be using an extension. Too bad there's nothing by default.

John2400

mmmm,

I am not one of the delevlopers but I have seen many requests or posts on this forum and this is the only one I have seen like this.

As there is server logs and VM2 logs you can turn on if there is an issue I would say that the VM2 team have set up what they feel are the necessary log files.

VM issues are normally settings or template & 3rd party issues. Beyond that then it is server issues.

So if you would like to suggest an extension request then post something in the commercial area and see how you go. Or write to the developers in the VM and Joomla sites to see if a commercial Log file can be added. One never knows what might be the next thing. I would aim in the joomla area as here is the starting block of the site in regards to logins.

jenkinhill

A php error_log file is usually generated by a server and placed in either the site root or in the directory in which the error occurred. Where and if this is created depends on settings in the server php.ini, and in any case,  a log file will only be created if any errors are actually generated.

For example I have a site under development, and the error_log file currently consists of:

[17-Apr-2013 14:37:43 UTC] PHP Warning:  sprintf() [<a href='function.sprintf'>function.sprintf</a>]: Too few arguments in /home/viridian/public_html/new/libraries/joomla/methods.php on line 320
[17-Apr-2013 14:40:25 UTC] PHP Warning:  sprintf() [<a href='function.sprintf'>function.sprintf</a>]: Too few arguments in /home/viridian/public_html/new/libraries/joomla/methods.php on line 320
[17-Apr-2013 14:43:43 UTC] PHP Warning:  sprintf() [<a href='function.sprintf'>function.sprintf</a>]: Too few arguments in /home/viridian/public_html/new/libraries/joomla/methods.php on line 320

Note this is only a warning, nothing critical. There are no VM associated errors recorded, which is reassuring.....
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum