VM 1.1x to VM 2.20x migration - any way to get the customer passwords over ???

Started by dirkb, March 25, 2013, 18:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirkb

So ... I´m ready to switch from old to new. A few month back I already researched a little, but when I saw that quiet a few people gave up on the migration part because there were to many problems ... I thought I wait.

Now I´m ready. I decided to use the cart2cart service after some research. Looks promising ...

... there is just one issue I see. Besides advertising to copy the customer data (some tricky marketing writing ...) ... I just figured out that they don´t transfer the users logins ... everything except.

Is it even possible to copy the user logins over from a VM 1.1x to VM 2.20x ? I know they are encrypted, but thought "maybe" they use a way to also copy the encryption key with all the data they promised.

I was so happy when I found that cart2cart service - my client would pay for it and it would save me a lot of time and headache, but the part where the users login´s won´t work anymore and you have to force them to use the "reset password" link ... that´s causing me headaches again.

My thinking was to prepare the new installation/template etc. on a new server. Use cart2cart to pull over the important data (products, customers, images, orders etc.) ... once tested and done, set the old offline and copy everything new over to the old server ...

well ... except the passwords ... anybody any tips/experience/solutions for the password part or for the whole process (in case my thinking is off here) !!!

appreciate it - d.

Joseph Kwan

When you upgrade Joomla 1.5 to 2.5, all the users will be migrated and the same password remains. I don't see there is a password problem unless cart2cart will overwrite your Joomla user data. Your question be better directed to cart2cart and see what they will suggest.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

dirkb

thanks for answering ... the issue is that i have one site with the old install and template and the new site with the new template - old site and new site reside on a different server - new site is a complete fresh install, not an update

Joseph Kwan

You can use jupgrade to migrate the user data and use that to match the password after cart2cart is done.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.