News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

issues with payment/invoices/ask a question/price display etc etc.

Started by tommyslade, December 07, 2012, 13:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyslade

Hi,

I seem to be going round and round in circles. A couple of weeks ago a site I am working on was only sending invoices/confirmation emails to registered users. I thought that maybe by upgrading to 2.0.14 might help (was previously 2.0.8). I am using the latest Joomla 2.5 and the VirtuePlanet Shiny template

I carried out the update manually and performed the database update too. My problems have now worsened considerably

1. For some reason the site still says I am still version 2.0.8.
2. Ask a question does not work (email never arrives)
3. When I checkout (worldpay) I do not receive order confirmation email even when I update the order through admin to confirmed etc. which it should automatically be after the worldpay transaction(I get worldpay email)
4. On the product details page no matter what I change I cannot view the price

I have wasted so much time on this now I am beginning to lose the plot. Site is www.roofsuperstore.co.uk

Please can somebody offer me some sensible advice in order to fix my issues.

Many thanks,

Tom

tommyslade

Host settings (LCN.COM)
PHP Built On    Linux dynamic-web3.hostingweb.co.uk 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 21 03:36:44 UTC 2011 x86_64
Database Version    5.0.51a-24+lenny5-log
Database Collation    utf8_general_ci
PHP Version    5.2.6-1+lenny16
Web Server    Apache/2.2.9
WebServer to PHP Interface    cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version    Joomla! 2.5.8 Stable [ Ember ] 8-November-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version    Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT
User Agent    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8) AppleWebKit/534.50.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.6 Safari/533.22.3

jenkinhill

First there are various bug reports of PHP 5.2.6 affecting Joomla and some Joomla templates. I doubt if this is relevant to what you see, but maybe a reason to try to upgrade to a more current PHP version, 5.3+ as recommended for Joomla 2.5/VM2+.

I'd like to know why you had to do a manual update. Did you actually try to use Joomla's extension installer for the update? It does sound like the procedure was not completed. Are php resources set high enough? The values I have are here:  http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=102045.msg339125#msg339125

Failing to send emails is likely to be a Joomla mail config issue, or server related. Have you tried using SMTP?

Failure to show price following an "upgrade" suggests that you have not updated your template overrides. Check the live update information for the changes in output. http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_content&id=416
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

tommyslade

Hi Jenkinhill,

Thanks for getting back with possible solutions etc.. i will have a look into things.

I did the manual upgrade because it would not work... I am waiting to hear from my host to edit their php.ini settings (shared platform)

The mail was sending order confirmation before the upgrade but only to registered users. Now nothing. The ask a question never worked. Strange I know.

If my host can change the settings etc. I will try the auto update and then look into the template overrides.

Thanks again

Tom

tommyslade

update... was already using SMTP fine before - so its not that.

tommyslade

Update

Host will not increase php.ini settings.

Re. smtp. Site contact forms work fine so it is definitely not the mail settings. What else could this be?

Thanks,

Tom

tommyslade

OK. Now updated to the latest VM 2.0.14.

Still no confirmation/ask a question emails being received. Fixed the order coming in as confirmed instead of pending.

I am receiving Joomla registration messages etc. so I know smtp is working. I really need these to areas fixed. Can anyone help me with it?

jenkinhill

There may be an issue with failed upgrade. It is important that both the VM component and the aio component from the same release are properly installed.

In many if not most cases, though if Joomla config is OK then some setting on the server causes mail not to work properly. It should work when a payment is confirmed (if that is the "Default Order Status to send an invoice" setting is for confirmed).  On the servers I use I have never had a mail issue & PHP Mailer works out of the box.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

tommyslade

After reading one of your other posts I installed through the tar.gz files. Do I need to do anything else to complete the upgrade?

Could it be my servers antispam settings that are stopping the VM system emails? They are not godaddy but probably are comparable

jenkinhill

No if the tar.gz files install, give you update information and show the latest version then that should be OK.

Cheap servers regularly cause problems, GoDaddy is diabolical with restricted php resources but by no means the worst. All I know is that some people with mail issues have upgraded (changed) their host and everything works OK, plus they gain far more control over the settings. Some anti-spam server settings don't allow you to send mail to yourself on the same domain, which is counter productive for running a store.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

tommyslade

Hi,

Thanks again Jenkinhill.

Regarding the template overrides. Is there a particular update that is required to display the price on the product details page? Would like to make that change first, so that I can satisfy my own curiosity.

I am now waiting to hear if my messages are being being blocked bythe host. I may move the hosting elsewhere today if they cannot shed any light. Would any VPS host suffice or do you have one you can recommend (UK based)?

Many thanks.

Tom

jenkinhill

Changes in output that require matching changes in overrides are listed in the live update info, accessed by clicking on the update button on the bottom left of the admin panel,  or direct on http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_content&id=416

I use unitedhosting.co.uk for all my sites and have done for almost 10 years now - I have never had a problem. Their customer forum is on http://www.unitedforums.co.uk/vb/
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK