News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Upgrading/patching Joomla using VM Bundle

Started by Basher_52, September 25, 2012, 21:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basher_52

Can find any info about this so I go to the source and ask  ;)

If I install VM using the bundle can I still upgrade the version of Joomla that VM budle uses with the latest patches of Joomla?
I ask this since I saw this on v1.1.9
Please note that the VirtueMart eCommerce Bundle is not an official
release of the Joomla! Project. Support Requests regarding
VirtueMart or modified parts of the Joomla! release should be
addressed to the VirtueMart Forum.
and the thing I'm thinking of is marked bold and red.
Also, if there code changes made to the original code for the particular Joomla! version, is there a place I can read up on that?

/B

jenkinhill

Yes you can still upgrade the Joomla version, as it is only the database that is used to generate the update to Joomla 2.5, either with Jupgrade or SP upgrade.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Basher_52

OK, thanks but one more question though.
But if the upgrade of Joomla! is to a newer version then 2.5x, let say 2.6x, then it won't work, right? since it's only compatible with 2.5x.
Just to be sure :P

jenkinhill

There will be no Joomla 2.6 - the next version, due this weekend, is Joomla 3

The updaters work to migrate to 2.5 - after that the auto-updater built into current Joomla does the updating quickly and easily. It will take about 30 seconds to update from J2.5 to J3 - but don't do it yet, as VM2 has not been tested with the final release of J3, and cannot until after this weekend.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jenkinhill

I should add that there is little point in most users migrating from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3. It is a short term release, only supported for 6 months, whereas J2.5 is a long term release and will be supported until 2014. Best to wait until the bugs have been worked out in 3 before maybe trying in a test environment.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK