News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Upgrading Sucks

Started by archangel michael, June 22, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archangel michael

Trying to upgrade my site from 1.5.26 / VM 1.1.2 to 2.5.4 /VM 2.0.6 without success of any sort. JUpgrade seems to work, but there is no VM DATA. None. Zip. Zilch.

Okay, so I want my data, is there a way to get the data back once the upgrade is FUBAR? I mean via hand Massaging the Database tables and doing an import or any other means.

I've tried every which way to upgrade VM and nothing seems to work without borking somewhere along the lines. I've upgraded VM to 2.0.6  in  1.5.26 (borks), I've upgraded after upgrading to 2.5.4 (no data) I'm not sure what else to do, and I'm tired of trying. Any suggestions that I've not tried. I'm willing to try. I'll check in the morning. I'm hanging it up for the night.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

archangel michael

Will give that a try when I get back to the migration. Thanks for the hints. I think I missed the item in the tools menu to migrate. :-/

I know, I should have RTFM ;) but I was exhausted dealing with getting Joomla 2.5.6 migration working. Looks like a revert on that to 2.5.4 migrates just fine. :-/ This is why I hate upgrading.

jenkinhill

I found migrating Joomla much more of a pain than migratating VM, but once it is all done the hair starts to grow back....
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

smcka

I have a real beef. This may be the wrong forum but nelieve you me I will feel better after this.

I have V1.19 and it was all good. As good as you can expect for free.

I check for updates once in a while and lo and behold I see v 2.0 something is available. So I think, done that before download a file, hit enter, all is good.
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I now know that V2 is not compatible with earlier versions.

I have lost 4 days of my site having a working cart and am expecting a bill for 8+ hours of work from my web support folks.

WHY does VM allow an 'upgrade' via the upgrade tool that is crap?
WHY is there not a warning for V1 users not to upgrade to V2 before doing it?
WHY have I lost immeasurable amounts of income because of something I feel is not my fault.

I am sure the experts here will cry me down as an idiot wo shouldn't be near a database. And you are right so why not freaking make it impossible to do what I just did?

I sell car parts. Who ever did this change please contact me for your next parts order. I'll sell you all the latest parts that look good and will be much better but won't fit your car. Oh, and you won't figure this out until you have parts of your ride strewn all over the driveway. You should really have known that the gidgy-wassit can't talk to the thingymajig, becasue everyone who works on cars knows that.

jjk

Quote from: smcka on June 26, 2012, 10:44:00 AM
...why not freaking make it impossible to do what I just did?

...probably not an easy task.  :) I haven't seen yet a joomla extension that interrupts the Joomla extension manager in case an incompatible old version of any extension is installed on the site. BTW - your current Mynxx template wouldn't have worked with the new Virtuemart version either.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations