Can I copy VM 1.1.9 tables and folders to 2.0 site and perform migration?

Started by sol, February 16, 2013, 15:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sol

I tried to follow the upgrade instructions, but the jUpgradePro solution failed, I gave up after paying twice for support, posting questions and trying for days.

Now I have new J 2.5 site with all articles and users migrated and I have a fresh VM 2.0 install with language working fine. Only remaining issue is to get the data from VM 1.1.9 in the old J. 1.5 site inty my new 2.0 installation.

Can I do it like this:

• Manually copy the vm tables from the 1.5 site to the 2.5 site? I guess I must use the new table prefix.
  • Copy the VM media folders from the 1.5 site to the new 2.5

And then perform the built in VM migration. Will that work?

Thanks a lot.

sol

Update: Yes, you can!

• I created a new testsite with Akeeba Kickstart
  • Then I transferred all old vm tables and changed prefix to the new install's prefix. They do not overwrite any existin tables, because the vm prefix is different.
  • I copied all media files to the stories folder, as adviced in tutorial
  • Then I performed the migration lots of times, until I had it right. The shop config got messed up, had to install demodata first. Had to connect category images to categories adding entries to table through db, but essentially products, categories, and images were migrated

For the sake of this wonderful software, I hope the migration routines will improve in the future. Luckily VM does not encrypt the db entries, so it is possible to find workarounds. Hope this was helpful, good luck with your migration!

sol

AND - if jUpgradePro is cranky for you as well, use jXMLImporter to transfer articles and users. Worked like a charm, and totally free!

lindapowers

Did you migrate users with the address or just the login details?

sol

I am not sure I understand the question. The users were migrated with all info using the jXMLImporter.

lindapowers

spanish?

That is the way I migrated users also, but that won't migrate user addresses just the login details no?