News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Don't have a clue what to try next . . .

Started by omni++, May 08, 2012, 19:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omni++

:-\
Re-Post

[b]Don't have a clue what to try next.[/b]
omni++
Beginner

VM Update failures - Update

« on: Yesterday at 10:57:09 »

Update to Previous Post pasted below :

I Followed  ' Kerrianne42's '  suggestion and tried an intermediate step update from 2.0.2 to 2.0.4 rather than to 2.0.6.  This worked well on all systems, no issues ( Thank you Kerrianne ! ).  But, the next step up attempt, from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5,  failed on all systems mentioned below, and another attempt from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 on all systems also failed.  No identifiable cause on this end.  Symptoms remained the same.  I will make an attempt from 2.0.4 to 2.0.7 in the hope that some flaw in the update files has been detected and corrected.

===============================================================================================

Previous Post:

***   Dedicated platform is Pentium 4 - 1.3Ghz on an Intel motherboard, 768MB Ram, running a fresh install of Windows XP sp3 fully updated, 32 bit, and is not the only system on which the latest versions of WAMP, Joomla, and Virtuemart are installed.   I have two other systems with the above installed exactly the same, only they are both 64 bit Windows 7 (different brands / motherboards, both dual core CPU's with 2 - 4 GB of RAM).   None would do a fresh install of Virtuemart 2.0.6 .   After much examination and puzzeling over the problem I realized that the one system (64 bit Win 7) in which virtuemart properly and smoothly installed was not virtuemart 2.0.6, but rather 2.0.2.  I then proceeded to install 2.0.2 on both other systems and all went well.  All three subsequently reported that an update was available, to version 2.0.6.  All three updates were attempted and all three failed.  Failure is manifested by a lengthy period in which the browser (Firefox) indicates  'waiting for localhost',  followed by a blank white update window.  Upon refresh no update has occured.  The symptoms of the problem are identical in spite of the fact that the systems are so different.  All of them are fresh installs of  WAMP,  Joomla, and  Virtuemart, with no OS or other tinkering prior to this install.  (On the older, slower 32 bit system I increased the execution time from 30 seconds to 90 to address the speed issue).   In every case the 'extract first'  directive was complied with.  Also, update files were attempted both before and after conversion to '.zip' format from tar.gz.   All failed.

My take-away from this experience and the many and varied other posts on this forum is that there may be an issue with the update files being downloaded.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.  Thankyou.

Report to moderator   31.172.30.3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

princessbs
Beginner

Re: VM Update failures - Update

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:47:09 »

Is 2.0.7 available? just a typo?  I have upgrade problem 2.0.4 to 2.0.6, making version 2.0.7 very interesting.

Report to moderator   Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

omni++
Beginner

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:10:57 »

Yes, sort of.  'Test' versions of 2.0.7 are on this page :  http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files

Report to moderator   141.154.34.46

princessbs
Beginner

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 13:11:59 »

Thank you.  Did you have any luck with the 2.0.7 release?

Report to moderator   Logged

omni++
Beginner

Re: VM Update failures - Update - Reply

« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:22:18 »

No, no luck with 2.0.7.    I extracted first (the composite zip files) as the file name indicates and tried install; no joy.   Then I converted the tar.gz files to winzip files and still got this message on install :   ' There was an error uploading this file to the server'.   This  same occurs with versions / updates 2.0.5, 2.0.6, and 2.0.7.   2.0.2 installed fine, no issues whatsoever.   Update to 2.0.4 installed fine.    I tried both methods of install all ways with all of the above problem files and on three distinct machines running two versions of windows OS, all to no avail.   Considering all the postings indicating install issues with the same files it's hard to avoid the conclusion that there's something funky with those files.   Don't have a clue what to try next.

jenkinhill

First VM has switched from .zip to linux standard .tar.gz compression format for the installation files. Unless your localhost is compiled to untar the files the installation will fail. The usual way around that is to locally unpack the tarball and repack as .zip followed by uploading. In any case 2.0.4 was also in .zip format. But you will still need to ensure that the php.ini execution time & memory limit settings are high enough for installation to occur.  I did a test installation of 2.0.4 on a friends PC with Intel i7, 12MbRAM running 64bit Win7 using XAMPP 1.7.7 and increased up  max_execution_time to 480secs and it installed OK, but was very slow when compared to the Linux servers I use. It reminded me why I stopped using localhost.

So what else can you do, apart from check php.ini settings? You could unpack all the files, and use the installation method described in http://www.phoca.cz/documents/2-phoca-gallery-component/438-cannot-find-joomla-xml-setup-file

For interest these are the settings I have on my servers where I have no installation issues. http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=102045.msg339125#msg339125
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum