What Do "The Other Guys" Have that VirtueMart Doesn't ??

Started by TomC, May 17, 2007, 00:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomC

As both a general information topic, as well as a possible "what does VirtueMart need" discussion  . . .

What do the more "popular" and/or commercial shopping cart systems offer that Joomla/VirtueMart does not (yet) have/offer?   (I suppose by the "popular" shopping carts, I mean the likes of Yahoo, MIVA, MonsterCommerce, 1ShoppingCart, CubeCart, ZenCart, osCommerce/CRELoaded, etc.)

8)

Tristan L.

Dude, seriously. Don't ask this question. I've used two of the above meantioned webshops and neither one can offer the great functionality Joomla with VirtueMart can offer. Of course VirtueMart isn't the ultimate online shop, but it comes close to it when you look at the possible functionalities.

TomC

Not sure what's wrong with the question . . . pretty simple inquiry.

madeupmedia

Ask the question indeed.  It's a great one.  As a prospective VM user, this is exactly the kind of clear comparison that I would like to see so I can determine if VM meets, doesn't meet, or exceeds my needs. 

When first investigating a product, it can be difficult to determine what the real benefits and limitations are.  In our case, we're building our first site to feature ecommerce, and I would appreciate any focused, centralized clarity that the community can provide. 

Thanks!
madeupmedia

TomC

Well, I can tell you one thing that "the other guys" have that VirtueMart doesn't  . . .

Shop By Price Range (module)

I wish I was a skilled coder, I would try to create this myself. I would think, however, that something like this should be a "basic" withing VirtueMart's offerings.

korb

Hi all devs, testers, and other end-users!

I am a newbie here, but I am a fresh graduate in Marketing, licenced in E-Marketing.
Well I loved from the start VM more than oscommerce because of joomla, joomsef, comunity builder and may more, despite oscommerce has more atractive end-user options (module for radio buttons for browsing/filtering products by their atributes, single login module, more editing options for product's atributes... etc). This was a month ago.
My need is to develop a shop with:
-a stable shipping tax calculator, no complicated module needed, although there is UPS, DHL in my area...
-easy to use coupon system
-easy for my clients to search products by their caracteristics as consumers (a method adapted for weman, adapted for kids, adapted for gamers, adapted for proffesionals, etc)
-a dinamic pricing solution (NEVER HEARD of it IN FORUMS but STUDIED about it FOR LICENCE EXAM)
-a solution to browse products regarding to the needs of a variety of customer types....this is a big hint for VirtueMart developers and I wish this will start the fire in your loving VM hearts...a radio button type filter module with many options of sorting and back-end configuration, and overall, a button for every type of sorting/filtering buton.
I'll try to make a clear image atached to see what I mean.

Now I face with a terrible 2 way road. I choose another shopping cart or pay someone to build these items for VM. I already lost time to learn VM, to look for proper extensions...

[attachment cleanup by admin]