Author Topic: How to add accessories to products  (Read 9148 times)

rfrazee

• Beginner
How to add accessories to products
« on: June 24, 2009, 16:58:06 pm »
I am looking to sell a product using Virtuemart, where the client can pick any combination of more than 30 accessories to include with the product.  The issue is they need at least one accessory (it just doesn´t matter which one).

I was wondering if there is a way to have a catalog of all of the basic products, and then once they have selected the basic product, be able to add to that product, the accessories that they are interested in having. 

Is there an extension, or is there another way to do this that I am not thinking about?  Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I have been looking in the extensions and I don´t see an extension.

Let me know what you come up with.  Thanks.

Best Wishes.

casweb

• Beginner
Re: How to add accessories to products
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 20:25:27 pm »
i'd been looking for something similar to this but have had no luck yet! you ever find anything?  only way i can think of it just now is by using the related products. other than that it'd be someone that knows what they're doing at writing code to do it for you!!

rfrazee

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 21:39:35 pm »
Unfortunately, no I still don't have a solution for this.  Related items won't work for me since the "accessories" require the base product.  For example, with an auto, you can't buy the A/C or the stereo from the dealer without the car/truck/suv.  So I am looking for something to manage accessories.

hotwebideas

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 04:07:16 am »
Hey rfrazee, this is a great idea. I write extensions and just finished my first for VirtueMart.

Can you give me an example of the exact accessories you are looking for, just so I can get an idea of what you have in mind? I see the analogy with the car and an AC or stereo, but please briefly describe your products for me and their acessories.

If necessary, feel free to give me a web address where I can look at your Virtue Mart web site.

Thanks,
Bruce

rfrazee

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 22:19:22 pm »
A very concrete example is an HTML site that we haven't moved over to Virtuemart yet because of this drawback.  Look at this example:  www.lanyardsource.com.  (sorry, this is one of the only examples I have in English, the rest of my sites are in Spanish).  You can see the accessories in 2 columns on the right side.  I am not sure if this is the best position for the accessories on the page, but accessories should be able to be assigned to individual products or entire categories of products. 

If you have other questions, let me know.  Thanks!

casweb

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 21:03:42 pm »
sounds like just what i'd be interested in! something that physically offers a product to a customer on selecting another as opposed to just recommending on the same page.

whst was your extension you just wrote bruce??

birdseye_nl

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 20:00:40 pm »
I would be interested in the solution aswell!!

gulfstream

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 21:19:24 pm »
I would be interested as well.

lamarck001

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 11:14:48 am »

rfrazee

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 16:02:18 pm »
Sorry, I can't read slovakian, but I am not seeing any accesory functions here.  Please advise.

lamarck001

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 08:47:51 am »
when u open product you'll see a table of accesssories on the bottom (not in all products). you can than add them to cart. well it's not exactly accessories - there are different versions of one product. for example product is flask and in the table there is 100ml flask, 250ml flask,300ml flask etc. I believe you could do same with accessories.

rfrazee

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 17:53:06 pm »
That looks more like related products.  That isn't really what I am looking for.  I really need it to be accessories.  Where only one product item is added to the cart (with xx accesories as part of the product.)  But thanks for the idea. 

caco

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:37 am »
Any solution to this? I'm also interested! :)