News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Download plugin - shipping charge

Started by hkymre, March 17, 2012, 13:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkymre

Got the download plugin installed and working Ok.

Only problem I've now got is that shipping fees are being added.

What's the best way to remove shipping for downloadables?

brentonking

This is something you could try. Haven't tried it myself, but might work
Depends whether your shipping is a set price or not, if it isn't think probably won't work.

Open up the product and go to custom fields where you add the plugin for the product. In the box next to the file you have chosen as a download put a negative number. ie; If you shipping is showing on that item as $10 enter -10

Hope it helps. I'm not sure if VM allows you to set specific shipping methods for specific products, but I think that should definitely be incorporated (if it isn't already).

hkymre

Cheers for that, It would probably work but might look strange on the checkout.

I'm think of having two shipment methods - one called Downloads & the other Post.
Downloads will be free & Post a fixed cost.

By using weight then Downloads should only be available for the virtual products & Post for physical products.

Tried a quick test last night & weight didn't appear to work but need to test it more thoroughly today.

bohemier

hello hkymre

Were you able to find a solution for this? I'm in the same situation. I thought by configuring my Download shipping to minimum and maximum weight 0, and Post shipping minimum weight to 0.001 (or 1 gram) it would work but VM allows me to choose Download as shipping for a product that is 500 grams...

Also, are you able to mix both downloaded and shipped products on the same order?

Thanks for your input!

bohemier

I was talking with lead developer Max about that and it seems there is a problem with the minimum weight calculation. I also tried version 2.0.3G. He confirmed that it should be setup as follows:

Downloadable product weight: 0
Shippable product weight: > 0

Download Shipping plugin: min weight: 0, max weight: 0
Post Shipping  plugin: min weight: 1

Unfortunately it doesn't work... I'm trying to play around with weights numbers to see what is wrong... more later

bohemier

So I found the problem and a work around...

if I setup my downloadable product with weight 0 (as expected), the cart will allow me any shipping regardless of the shipping plugin configuration (min, max weight)
if I setup my downloadable product with weight 1 (gram), the cart will act properly, presenting the right shipping options if I configure my downloadable shipping plugin to min and max weight 1 (gram).

So my working configuration is:

CD Album: weight 100 Grams
each MP3 Download: Weight 0.01 Gram (this will allow 100 downloads - 100 * 0.01 = 1 gram)

Post Shipping: Min Weight: 100 Grams
Download Shipping: Min Weight: 0.01 gram, Max Weight: 1 Gram

For reference, I'm using
Joomla 1.5.25
VM 2.0.3G
PHP 5.2.17

ps: Once you make changes to product info, you have to empty your cart and re-add the product to see the changes  ;)

alatak

Hi,

yes there was a bug for products when Weight = 0.
I have fixed it in revision 5709.
You then need 2 shipment methods:
- one with  Min Weight: 0 , Max Weight:0, when the cart only downlodable products, that shipment will be used.
- the other with for example - one with  Min Weight: 0.0.1 , Max Weight: '', will be selected when you have at least one product with Weight.

sixeyeco

This is good to know. But is there any chance of using VM for a third category? We sell a mix of real products and a service (not a download).