New pre subrelease VirtueMart 2.0.3. UPDATE I

Started by Milbo, March 14, 2012, 19:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpenGlobal

Quote from: openglobal on March 31, 2012, 15:09:05 PM
The stockable variants are still completely fubared.

Setup 1:
One parent product, price 4.99.
3 child products, X => +0, Y => +0, Z => +1

Result 1:
On the category page, the price is shown as 4.99, the base price, as expected. Click on the product, and the product flypage gives the price as 5.99, ie. the "Z" price, even though the dropdown defaults to "X".
Changing the dropdown automatically changes the displayed price back to 4.99 for EVERY variant. Even when changing the variant to "Z", the price goes grey and gets "changed" to 4.99 (ie. stays the same).
When adding any of these variants to the cart, the price in the cart is always 4.99, regardless of which variant is chosen.

Setup 2:
One parent product, price 4.99.
3 child products, X => +0.5, Y => +0.5, Z => +1

Result 2:
Similar to above except price always stays as 5.49. Basically, the prices always stays at the LOWEST variant price.
When added to cart however, the price for all variants was 5.99 (ie. the price of the highest priced variant).
One other thing that I noticed is the in the cart, the SKU displayed was the SKU for "X" for all variants, even though the description shown was correct for each variant.

This is not only incorrect behaviour, but completely unusable behaviour. Let's try to get this fixed for 2.0.3. This is basic behaviour, the more advanced custom field problems could wait until 2.0.4.

OpenGlobal

PS. There is also a javascript error given in the console when the page loads, it may be related but I haven't investigated:

"$.setproducttype is not a function"

Identical behaviour still present in 2.0.3i

OpenGlobal

Milbo

You can fix it :-) we do atm not work on it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

OpenGlobal

Quote from: Milbo on April 04, 2012, 21:14:48 PM

WTF? Seriously?

OMFG! I hadn't realised that you were seriously being as complacent about this version as everybody already thinks.

corymp

I'm surprised you're signature don't say "It should be recognized that the above is my opinion as a member of the Virtuemart Team, and has not been processed as a formal interpretation and should therefore not be considered, nor relied upon, as the official position of the the Virtuemart Team."

That is serious attitude. If that is indeed the position of the virtuemart team, why in the name of god are we even trying to figure this out? Why are we even wasting our time with virtuemart?
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

Bruce Morgan

Makes you wonder what this "hero member" IS working on????

TBoele

Like we thought already. They just ignore the whole stockable parent/child problem.

Milbo

Quote from: openglobal on April 04, 2012, 21:56:17 PM

WTF? Seriously?

OMFG! I hadn't realised that you were seriously being as complacent about this version as everybody already thinks.

When I would be complacent, I wouldnt answer you. There wouldnt be any forum pre versions and so on. What the hell you guys are talking about. The first thing you should learn before blaming other people is to look in the mirror. Learn what an opensource project is and how it works. We do not have the duty to write code for some people who think they need it. An opensoure project works so that people write what they need for their own purpose (own shop, client,...) and contribute it. Before you answer read this http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/fs-motives.html and http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html .

And yes we do atm not work on the "stockable price varants plugins". That does NOT mean that we do NOT work on the "stockable variants". Guys, you must be able to read precise and yes this statement is from the leader of the virtuemart team. This is a quite free world. The main rule for an opensource project ist: "Dont blame the other, do it better, do it yourself". What means this? When I say we do not work on it, what means that? That it is not allowed to work on it?

So who of you guys has ever contributed to virtuemart? Who paid us? Who of you contributed code? So why do you think you can propose anything? What gives you the right?

I tell you something maybe new for you: "As long you do not invest your engergy for the virtuemart project, you have NO right to propose anything!" I hope that is clear guys. Anything else is just barefaced. In earlier days the people were happy to get something free and to get something free they can use to earn their living with it. But why does a free software implement that you think you can demand something. I never understood that.

Quote from: Bruce Morgan on April 04, 2012, 23:33:32 PM
Makes you wonder what this "hero member" IS working on????

Yeh, quite easy, we do what the people pay for, because we must live from something, we have family, we want to eat. When no one is paying for fixing the problem of the stockable variant plugin, but paying for other fixes, why we should write somethign no one is paying for? It seems to be not worthy enough. It costs maybe 200 euro on the open market to repair it.

Quote from: TBoele on April 05, 2012, 08:39:50 AM
Like we thought already. They just ignore the whole stockable parent/child problem.

And this it typical again for people who demand, demand, demand. They are even not able to look for what they demand. IT IS ALREADY THERE ! You just ignore the provided solution, is that my problem, that you are not able to browse and understand the sample data? The main reason we do not work on the stockable variant plugins is that it is the wrong way todo it. So guys, before blaming around, stop being arrogant, learn first about what you want to complain. It is really ridicolous. People who never did something for the community demand from the community to fix something, which the community does not need anylonger. Could you even be more barefaced, I really wonder.

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

alatak

Hi
QuoteI have 2 serious problem: don't show total price in the cart and error in shipment, How I can solve this please?
I've upgraded to 2.0.3I to see if there was any better with 2.0.2 but now there are very important things do not work, as in the cart does not get the total price and shipping even if you set a I said that is empty ... So I want to go back to 2.0.2, as I can do? you've done? I hope your help as these two problems are very serious and I have to deliver and the web. THANKS   
My web: www.pelucashop.com

It is probably a template problem. Can you check by using a default template?

uschmi

I have to agree to, what Milbo said - we should stop all that complaining and try to contribute whatever we can.
As I´m not really  prof in programming, I donated now in hope, others will follow so we get this problem solved...

OpenGlobal

Milbo, please stop with the attitude. It's not helping VM and it's not helping the community.

We get it. We understand it's open source, we understand it's GNU. That's why we're trying to help. Yes, some people have shown a bad attitude, but as the leader, you need to be bigger than that. Don't sink to their level.

Some of us are finding the exact locations of bugs in the code and are publishing the code changes required on this forum in the hope that it will make it into the official code.

But VM2 is showing signs of being disorganised. There are so many duplicate threads on this forum that it's becoming almost impossible to keep track of what's happeing to bugs that we've found.

Please can we have an official list of known bugs and their status, and maybe a prediction of when they will be fixed. Or even better, can we have a bug tracker. We need somewhere that we can just link duplicate forum threads to to say "Yes, it's a known bug. End of discussion."

A bug tracker doesn't need public write-access, but public read-access would be hugely beneficial.

I think a lot of the community are getting annoyed because we can see so much potential with VM2, but it's so much hard work to get involved in the community. It's so much hard work to find out what is happening. Information is all over the place in lot's of different forum threads.

A troll fight in the forum is not the way to make VM2 the best e-commerce software. Let's get some structure back.

OpenGlobal

Milbo

LoL Openglobal. Sorry, but what you say is naiv. We have 10k visitors a day. People open new threads even there are already 3 threads about the same topic on the first page. How do you want prevent this? Delete the posts? Then the people go, when you organize it, it a lot time costs time. Same for the tracker. It costs also a lot time, I dont have the time for it. We use the forum as tracker and the swarm is itself pushing the important stuff to the surface. A tracker would be directed from above, no community thing, you would like that more? It is less democratic.
It is not hard to contribute. Just do it. Post your stuff in the forum, it wont get ignored. You are already known for writing a looot. The only result atm is that you found one bug in cancel payment. Thanks for this. But you cost more time, when we answering your great insights, then you give us.

The system is quite easy, when we feel you are a plus for the community, you get invited. But atm it is negative bilance. When you think it is hard to join the community, then you underestimate by far the whole size of this. You underestimate how much effort people put into. Also interesting is that people in the team almost never demand something which they would not do themself.

filtheetees

With the ParentChildDemo.PNG that Milbo posted, I am running 2.0.2 on 2.5.3 and it does not show an "Add a Child Product" button at all.

Is this in a post 2.0.2 version or did I need to do something first?

John2400

filtheetees,

Hi yes that is in an update or test version of VM - you can see here :   http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files

* The stable version you are using is the current version - and you are always welcome to test and trial these updates.
* make sure you back up your site and then - test.
* Joomla has also released some new versions - 2.5.4 so you can test and trial these too.

Milbo

Quote from: filtheetees on April 05, 2012, 12:19:53 PM
With the ParentChildDemo.PNG that Milbo posted, I am running 2.0.2 on 2.5.3 and it does not show an "Add a Child Product" button at all.

Is this in a post 2.0.2 version or did I need to do something first?
Take also a look here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=98648.0 , take a look on the demo in the sampledata. Thank you john for your explanation

OpenGlobal

Quote from: Milbo on April 05, 2012, 12:13:04 PM
We have 10k visitors a day. People open new threads even there are already 3 threads about the same topic on the first page. How do you want prevent this? Delete the posts?

I think you've missed my point. This is going to happen with every Open Source product. you cannot prevent it, just manage it. At the moment, we are having to follow those "3 threads" to keep up to date on a bug. It would be much better if we could just point to a bug tracker entry to follow. We don't need to be able to write to the bug tracker, but if we could read what's happening, that would be a huge help. Instead of trying to keep 3 forum threads in sync.

We use the forum as tracker and the swarm is itself pushing the important stuff to the surface.

That's good from a developer point of view, but I don't think the community gets it.

It is not hard to contribute. Just do it. Post your stuff in the forum, it wont get ignored.

One of the things that is causing a lot of the bad attitude on the forums is that so much is getting ignored. Or, at least appearing to be ignored because we can't see an official bug tracker.

But you cost more time, when we answering your great insights, then you give us.

If we could see an official bug tracker, we wouldn't need to waste your time because we could see the official status of bugs.

For example, the "cancel payment" bug. I received no feedback when I reported the bug, could not see any way of working out whether it was being worked on, or whether the developers had even acknowledged that it was a true bug. I got bored of waiting so spent several hours trawling through code I was not familiar with and identified two possible fixes. Only when I published my findings did I find out that it had already been fixed in the next development release.

The community doesn't like having it's time wasted either.

I'm worried that the community is becoming very much "them vs us".

When you think it is hard to join the community, then you underestimate by far the whole size of this. You underestimate how much effort people put into.

I completely disagree. I can see that a phenomenal amount of effort has been put in. I just think it should be better organised.

I'm NOT saying that I think I could do a better job. I'm saying that I really want this to work and I'm worried that the negative publicity might destroy the project.

OpenGlobal