News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Override of confirmation mails

Started by sscheidegger, February 29, 2012, 18:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sscheidegger

Hey,

since I updated to VM 2.0.2 I cannot use template overrides for the order confirmation emails anymore! I saw that the files have been moved to a new directory "invoice". However, when I create overrides for these emails in a new invoice folder in my template, nothing changes!

Any suggestions what could I be doing wrong?

PRO

it should work, are you using the right filenames?

butchtones

... okay I know this is a bit off topic but how do you do a Template Override?  I've been trying to figure it out.  I'm on 2.0.2.

Thanks!

Milbo

Quote from: butchtones on February 29, 2012, 22:05:36 PM
... okay I know this is a bit off topic but how do you do a Template Override?  I've been trying to figure it out.  I'm on 2.0.2.

Thanks!

http://bit.ly/x80NGM
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

sscheidegger

Milbo, I didn't know LMGTFY yet, nice one :D

But what about the email overrides, that don't work? (I just tested it also in a clean installation of VM202 an J251.) Could you also google this for me?

marcodelpercio

I have the same problem. I had VM 2.0.0 and I had coded email override in the "html" folder of my template and they were working perfectly, then updated to 2.0.2 and they don't work anymore. In particular I am referring to the reguser email.

Could you please verify or confirm us the correct path/filename?

marcodelpercio

I confirm I have the sam issue also on order confirmation emails:
I tried both  html/com_virtuemart/cart/mail_*   and   html/com_virtuemart/invoice/mail_* but always the same result. I just get default email without override.
Am I wrong? I don't think so since apart from emails the other overrides work properly.

Milbo

Yeh, I was reading this http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=98972.msg326715#msg326715 and then I understood the problem.

In fact there is no problem, the invoice and the confirmation mail are just now using always the FE view invoice. Updates do not delete old files, so you got tricked. :-)

I think very interesting is for a lot people, that you can style this stuff without sending an email all the time, just use
http://localhost/.../en/?option=com_virtuemart&view=invoice&layout=invoice&tmpl=component&order_number=XXX&order_pass=p_yyy for the mail and
http://localhost/.../en/?option=com_virtuemart&view=invoice&layout=invoice&tmpl=component&order_number=XXX&order_pass=p_yyy&format=pdf for the pdf

Of course you must set for xxx and yyy your order_number and order_pass
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

marcodelpercio

Thank you for replying

however I suppose I'm not understanding or we're not understanding each other... I already "guessed" that Virtuemart was using "invoice" view instead of "cart" view and I thank you so much for the dynamic url to provide on the fly the layout to use... however I am talking about template override and from what I see template override doesn't work anymore for those views whatever I try to override (user/cart/invoice).

The Virtuemart email is fine for content but I want to override it in my template and until a few days ago (before 2.0.2) I was able to do that with view override in my template. Now it doesn't work anymore. I hope that now the problem is more clear. Is that a bug? Am I overriding the wrong view? The wrong path? What?

Thanks in advance

sscheidegger

Hi Milbo

Thanks a lot for the hint with the link to show the email!

I'm also a little bit confused by your answer. Why do you think that there is no problem? I'll try to explain better:
1. The layout of the order confirmation emails is generated using the files in components/com_virtuemart/views/invoice/tmpl, namely the files mail_html.php, mail_html_footer.php, mail_html_header.php, mail_html_pricelist.php, mail_html_shopper.php and mail_html_shopperaddresses.php.
2. I can confirm that these files are being used. If I do changes in one of them, they show in the order confirmation emails.
3. Every Joomla user knows, that he shouldn't do changes in the components folder but use template overrides.
4. I copied the files named above to the folder templates/mytemplate/html/com_virtuemart/invoice/.
5. Whatever changes I do in these files, they don't show in order confirmation emails.
6. Changes I do to the original files in the folder components/com_virtuemart/views/invoice/tmpl still have an effect on the order confirmation emails.
7. Therefore I'm sure that Joomla/VM are using the view files in the components folder for order confirmation emails even tough override files in my template folder exist.
8. Therefore I conclude that either there is a problem or my override files are in the wrong folder (which I doublechecked many times)

Don't you agree on this?

Furthermore:
1. I'm working on Joomla/VM system that has lived many updates and developer versions.
2. When I face a new problem, I assume that it is caused by incorrect updates.
3. Therefore I use a second clean installation of the current version of Joomla and VM.
4. The problem described above is exactly the same on that second system of mine.
5. Therefore I conclude that it must be a problem of the new VM version.

Thanks for having a look at this again!

marcodelpercio

Exactly! Precisely sscheidegger! That's absolutely the same problem I am experiencing! And that's exactly the same thing I tried to explain.
I am quite sure that VM update 2.0.2 introduced such issue.

riverhawk

Any solution yet? Have the same problem. I can override views such as 'cart', 'category', and 'user'...but when I try 'invoice' it doesn't seem to work. JM2.5 and VM 2.0.2.

Milbo

So the mail is using the right layouts in FE, you can make changes in the Core and you see em. But when you want to use the standard overwrite method it is not working?

HMMM ! hmpf, shit. I dont have a clue atm.

PRO

some files moved from one folder to another.

MAKE sure the OLD files are not in the old folder.

YOU can unzip an install package, and then re-name your views foldr.

THEN, replace it with the new "views" folder.

ZX81

Quotesome files moved from one folder to another.

MAKE sure the OLD files are not in the old folder.

YOU can unzip an install package, and then re-name your views foldr.

THEN, replace it with the new "views" folder.

Joomla! 2.5.1/VM2.0.2

Hi Banquet, I did this but the override still doesn't work. The only way I can override is by modifying the files directly in the view/tmpl folder. Is there another way around this or is it fixed in 2.0.3?

ZX