News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Product image too big on product details page

Started by ipo, February 01, 2012, 23:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarkelton

Quote from: haidamaka on April 07, 2012, 14:53:27 PM
Hi! Nice Solution. But how to fix to show the product title but not the file name under image in lightbox?

I have the same question.

Also, is there a way to set the (scaled) preview image size?

Nice fix, Gruz!

Gruz

As soon as I finish my current urgent work I would give a look to the questions. Alas, I cannot pay attention to it right now. Please, wait several days.
Your installable language for VM2: http://gruz.org.ua/virtuemart-language-files.html

Snarkelton

Every time I read this, it makes me angry:
"Please be aware that we did that on purpose. We or better said I want to awake a recognition of the actual image size."

The net result here is a horribly dysfunctional content manager. Ok, I'm AWAKE. What is your solution? ----there is none. You provide no solution for scaling images. You provide no solution for adjusting viewable area. You provide no control of thumbnail size. You provide no solution for viewing the full-size image (as in lightbox). Either upload an image that "fits" or else have a page that looks terrible.

From someone that has struggled to get a reasonably descent shop online using VM for several months, I would like to propose a sensible solution for future revisions of VM:

>Images are uploaded in large format by the user, say 800 (or whatever) px wide
>VM creates scaled images as necessary for 1. small thumbnails, 2. preview images, and 3. full size images for detailed viewing via lightbox popup.
>The user can specify the max width and max height parameters for all three above
>The user can easily access and replace 1, 2, or 3 above if he/she finds the scaled images to be of poor quality.
>The small thumbnails are only shown when there is more than one image (why have the image and little thumbnail together with nothing else?? ---even more nonsensical is to have two small thumbnails of the same image as the preview image!!!?!?)
>The main image changes as per clicks to the small thumbnails, and lightbox enables when the user clicks the preview image. Lightbox should include navigation, exit, and auto-close when clicking outside

Please refer to the massively successful amazon.com for a truly elegant and proven implementation.

With each revision of VM, it seems to favor developers and not common users---starkly in opposition to the philosophy of CMS. The net result will be users, like me, searching for alternatives and abandoning VM as a useful, broadly applicable solution.

Gruz

I think nowadays that a very easy solution is to use the biggest available photo in the VM backend and the use some plugin like bk-multithumb or one of these ones http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/photos-a-images/images/articles-images to show resized photoes, popups and reall full size.
I have an idea to find the most applicable plugin and to propose an easy solution to the community.
This would be a joomla plugin - install and use.
Your installable language for VM2: http://gruz.org.ua/virtuemart-language-files.html

Snarkelton

I'm not opposed to using one of these. In fact, I like the control of being able to script my own html for the layout of the page.

The challenge is then how to remove the "no image" preview and thumbnail. I assumed is was in default.php, but I'm not certain what to remove. And will I then have the "add to cart" section floating out in space?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Adam

Gruz

I have not understantd what you need.
Maybe you need to alter templates/YOURTEMPLATE/html/com_virtuemart/productdetails/default_images.php instead of templates/YOURTEMPLATE/html/com_virtuemart/productdetails/default.php   which you mention.

To hide the no-image at all you may parse the HTML what is going to be echoed in the file and do not echo it if the image is 'no image'.  But I'm not sure what you need.

I cannot make experiments now, can only tell ideas. I'm busy now.

Snarkelton

Thank you, Gruz. I will experiment and try to figure it out.

I tried installing plugins several times on several versions on VM, but Joomla plugins do not propagate into VM articles (descriptions). It would be very nice if they did, but this is yet another flaw of VM.

Gruz

Some of them work anywhere as they just parse HTML looking for images just before the full HTML page is sent to browser. You need to check the settings.

Besides, there is a VM backend option either to run plugins in VM, but I'm not sure if this will work in this case.

Besides you my alter you VM template file to output images in a way to be parsed by a plugin. You need to read the documentation. Pay attention to bk-multithumbnail.

Tikkiro

I'm just jumping in on this to say that I tried installing the Multithumbnail plugin but Joomla 2.5 kept returning the typical error "JInstaller: > :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file" - sent a msg to the developer who gave the impression this plugin is no longer being maintained/supported, and he didn't think it would work with J2.5 :(

The Gabber

Hi!
I faced with this problem too. I use VM2.0.8c. I checked code of default.php and it's too different to implement earlier patch.
So I tried to use multithumb - I installed and enabled plugin. Put in class field "medium-image" class on both - article and blog tabs. And turned on Enable Joomla Plugin. But it didn't help!
What did I wrong? Or if there's another fresh solution for this problem?

Peter1967

Hallo,

i have the 8e version and the same problem, i test the BK multithumb  are no change full size by detail. By edit the default_images.php then i have very small image.

Have some one a better solution (we scale down, and by on click full size in popup or so)

This is very bad my old OSC (2003) make this better.

Best regards
Peter

ShowLiFE

Hello
the problem is. css templates.
Go to: components / com_virtuemart / assets / css / vmsite-ltr.css
and if you change what you have in line 156:
. main-image img.product-image and product-image change medium-image (because it is a medium-image in. php file from which it receives data (default_images.php))
then I got change max-width: 100% written in max-width: 200px (the size of the answer my suggestions), so that all images can not be larger than 200px

if not using default template VM then go to:
components / com_virtuemart / views / productdetails / tmpl / default_images.php
and in 26 line medium-image change with product-image.
Now this is a mess.
Best regards Chico

Peter1967

Hallo,

i found this, and place in my templat css. Are you can not look the full size, only if i use second image then came a popup or on the fly zoom.

Have someone a solution for singel image by klick zoom or popup?

Big Thank´s for the css code.

Best regards
Peter

/* VM 2.08 Product main-image resize */
div.main-image img {
max-width:250px;
max-height:250px;
width:auto;
height:auto;
}

ShowLiFE

Hello
Here are two examples:
1. Image size: 947 × 854px  http://termaltrade.si/trgovina/osvetlitev/led-tehnika/led-trak-30-rdec.html
2. Image size 466 x 427px  http://termaltrade.si/trgovina/osvetlitev/led-tehnika/led-trak-60-vodoodporen-hladna-bela.html
The difference is visible when you view a larger image, otherwise both look the same size.
Best regards Chico