News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

what about per product or per category shipping selection?

Started by F2it, May 15, 2005, 06:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F2it

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to have per product or per product category shipping selection?  If I sell services (subsctriptions), hard products and downloadable products, I don't see how to handle shipping.  I can configure php shop for eiher one of these types, but not all at the same time. 

Here is an example.  An ISP that sells webhosting (nothing to ship or download), and DSL modems (needs to ship to an address).

rtphokie

Quote from: F2it on May 15, 2005, 06:17:01 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to have per product or per product category shipping selection?  If I sell services (subsctriptions), hard products and downloadable products, I don't see how to handle shipping.  I can configure php shop for eiher one of these types, but not all at the same time. 

Here is an example.  An ISP that sells webhosting (nothing to ship or download), and DSL modems (needs to ship to an address).

I've had a similiar problem.  I'm running a website for a non profit which wants to allow people to pay for events online but dont send out tickets yet sell products which do require shipment.

The way around it was to create a shipping rate for a weight of zero and make sure all other shipping rates start at 0.01.  Then make sure all products that do not require shipping, have a shipping weight of 0.

gsbe

Hope for fixed shipping rate per product purchased:

http://mambo-phpshop.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=71&topic=11624.0
http://gigcalendar.net: the world's first free solution for maintaining a touring calendar for Joomla!

Ckovac

Well I think what is really needed is the ability to add a shipping override amount to any given item.

Say I have 3 products.  On product 3 I have a shipping override value of $5.  Normally I charge shipping at $1 per item.  If a customer orders items 1 and 2 they are charged $1 per item or $2 shipping.  Then if they add item 3 I want them charged the original $2 shipping + $5 for item 3 because item 3 is heavy or bulky or for some other reason just costs more.  Total shipping should be $7 then.

I can't figure out how to get this to do this without just offering FREE shipping and including the shipping costs in the product price.
Chad
http://airsoftguy.com (airsoft guns)
http://aviary.info (parrots - Xoops)

aust_seller

I am trying to work out how to do a 3 product free shipping...

example;

1 product - $5 shipping
2 Products - $10 shipping
3 Products - Free Shipping

any ideas

Anthony G

Quote from: aust_seller on September 29, 2005, 06:24:46 AM

example;

1 product - $5 shipping

any ideas

Hey Aust... try using weight...

set each item to 1 pound and then under shipping, 0-1 lbs = $5, 1.1-2 lbs = $10, 2.1-10000 lbs = $0

gsbe

Good thinking, Anthony. Hopefully your suggestion isn't too late seeing how this thread is almost 2 years old. ;)
http://gigcalendar.net: the world's first free solution for maintaining a touring calendar for Joomla!

gayelston

Quote from: Anthony G on July 24, 2007, 20:04:06 PM
Quote from: aust_seller on September 29, 2005, 06:24:46 AM

example;

1 product - $5 shipping

any ideas

Hey Aust... try using weight...

set each item to 1 pound and then under shipping, 0-1 lbs = $5, 1.1-2 lbs = $10, 2.1-10000 lbs = $0
Hello,
I'm new to Joomla & Virtue Cart, but I have a site in Zencart                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
I feel the shipping Anthony G quoted ssems very much like the Zencart Zones option & I want to do it for myself.
But how??
I have a catalogue of at least 600 craft supply items & separate faq's pages at the moment.
I am trying to shift them all over into one Joomla site with Virtue Cart included, but I'm not going to be able to if i can't make the cart add up all the weights, add a bit for packaging, then assign the correct shipping charge for the weight of the parcel.
Anyone got any ideas?
I need to be able to assign a weight to each item, a % for packging, then put in the different charges for each step up in weight & I also want to do 3 different geographical shipping rates.
I would be really grateful for any help because I don't see how I can go further with this project until I have the shiping sorted.
Many kind regards
Gay Elston, Artyfactsforcrafts.com

ledstyle

is there any shipping module that is based on category? Need that. I have too many SKU's in my shop that it is too big job.

Gateux

Hello all, I have found a solution to have shipping priced at per item and its free.

QuoteSummary:
This solution uses VM's Standard Shipping Module. You only need to add "one" additional line of code to standard_shipping.php then use the standard VM "Shipping / Create a Shipping Rate" to create multiple "flat rate + additional cost" or multiple flat rate shipping policies or multiple location based free shipping.

Edit the file:
/your_site_root/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/shipping/standard_shipping.php

Locate the following section:
$total_shipping_handling = $dbr->f( "shipping_rate_value" ) + $dbr->f( "shipping_rate_package_fee" ) ;
$total_shipping_handling = $GLOBALS['CURRENCY']->convert( $total_shipping_handling ) ;
$total_shipping_handling *= $taxrate ;
$show_shipping_handling = $CURRENCY_DISPLAY->getFullValue( $total_shipping_handling ) ;

Add/Insert the following line indicated in red:
$total_shipping_handling = $dbr->f( "shipping_rate_value" ) + $dbr->f( "shipping_rate_package_fee" ) ;
$total_shipping_handling = $GLOBALS['CURRENCY']->convert( $total_shipping_handling ) ;
$total_shipping_handling *= $taxrate ;
$total_shipping_handling = $d["zone_qty"] * $dbr->f( "shipping_rate_value" ) + $dbr->f( "shipping_rate_package_fee" ) ;
$show_shipping_handling = $CURRENCY_DISPLAY->getFullValue( $total_shipping_handling ) ;

QuoteHow you configure it in VM:
1) Enable Standard Shipping under "Admin / Configuration / Shipping" make sure that the Standard Shipping Module is checked.

2) Create a shipping rate under "Shipping / Create a Shipping Rate"

This work around solution changes the definition or purpose of the fields "Fee:" and "Your package fee:". "Fee:" is now the multiplier to "items in cart" and "Your package fee:" is now the added fixed base amount.

The above formula is now: ((items in cart * Fee:) + Your package fee:)

CREDITS TO: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=57350.0

If you want to set a fixed pricing for all items which means the first item and additional items to be the same price, see the example below.

First Item: $0.80
Additional Item: $0.80

Set Fee to $0.60 and Package Fee to $0.80

NOTE: If you leave your Fee & Package Fee at $0.80, when you check out, lets say you have 4 items, the total shipping price will be $4.00, hence you do this tweaking and your price will be back normal which is $0.80 x 4 items = $3.20

Alternatively if you're looking to set different rate of shipping per product, try out this free extension.

Go to http://www.compdat.com/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=32 and download the Product SKU based Shipping Module.

Installation: Extract the downloaded zip folder, and read the ReadME.txt inside.