Virtuemart 1.X - 2.X Migration Inherent Data Loss & Future Stability Of Project?

Started by FidelGonzales, January 17, 2012, 07:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FidelGonzales

I've long loved Virtuemart (PHPshop) for its seamless integration with a CMS that is so extensible, which makes for an SEO magnet, particularly when integrated with the right content, the right content architecture and a community to cultivate residual traffic and continual content. I have managed several successful sites with Virtuemart in the past and have been looking to get back in on content-driven/ecommerce. In doing so, I have reconsidered Wordpress / Magento as well as Joomla / Magento and Joomla / Virtuemart. Magento has its advantages. But due to its inherent disadvantages, time to deployment, its potentially maintenance-intensive integration and product/category population, I am about to begin work on development once again on the Virtuemart platform.

My concern, though, after looking at its current 1.X to 2.X migration process is that in a year or so there will once again be another migration that will not only require a complicated and downtime-prone process but - MOST IMPORTANTLY - suffer data loss to portions of the product and category content. I mention this because of the reference (http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95236.0) in the latest upgrade notes, which says, "It does not migrate product types, product attributes and similar."

On some of the most popular Virtuemart sites I have managed, there were 3,000 to 5,000 parts. While I did not use product types, I did use a considerable amount of attributes. And considering the above-referenced data loss of attributes, one could reason that the loss of attributes for thousands of product attributes could cost a considerable amount of time and money, particularly if the vision for the site I am about to embark upon reaches upwards of 10,000 products. I realize this data may well be able to be imported back into the product database after a potential migration using CSV, but this could be a costly gamble based upon an inferred forecast. Furthermore, this is not even considering product types and similar (whatever that might mean).

Having been involved with Virtuemart since the days of Mambo/PHPshop and admired its growth and direction, my hope is that Virtuemart continues onward toward acclaim as an internationally-recognized ecommerce brand that boasts world class feature set and stability. With that said, what are the future plans for Virtuemart and will these plans work toward the type of stability that will preserve product data during upgrades and migration?

Thank you.

PRO

2.0 is a totally different platform, and can be extended very easily now WITHOUT hacking the core.

:RE Custom fields, and attributes.
2.0 is far better in this regard. There are an array of options, AND can be extended easily with a plugin, WITHOUT hacking the core.

The custom fields are stored differently in the core now, thats why they cant migrate.
A simple plugin can be made that can store the attributes like 1.1, for example  (Red;Blue;Green [+10];Yellow   etc)
and then they can be migrated.

You will not have to migrate in a year like you think. 2.0 core has extended the lifetime of the project far more than 1.1 ever could have.

Milbo

You can be sure that there will be a lot extensions to import your stuff and plugins simulating all what you need.

For example CSVI is now in the last beta phase. Roland is quite eager he will release it next time.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

ereallstaff

Hi I have same problem too. I want to convert my attribute in vm 1.0 release in some sizes in 2.0

If someone can help me I can also share the code. Attribute infact should not be an hard operation to import.

Another issue is that picture with absolute link is not imported and used correctly. Very very bad.

There will be a chance of a webservice to upload products from external ?

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ì
Try out our new joomla background rotator ( for joomla 1.x or 2.x), for only 14,99 eur @ innovailweb.it

Milbo

Ahh the media with absolute URL. This task leads to endless problems. The problem behind is multivendor and security. We wanna reenable it for Administrators.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

PRO

ereallstaff

Hi just for pictures I don't know which problem does it can make having an absolute url. The problem is that I use them also for my ebay store, so I am obliged to this solution, that is not supported also by extensions.

About CSV improved what do you suggest?

Exporting all products from VM1 and putting them after on VM 2 ? :D

I don't think it's possible.

If I have to modify them handly, it's still better doing it directly on platform.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ì
Try out our new joomla background rotator ( for joomla 1.x or 2.x), for only 14,99 eur @ innovailweb.it