News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[SOLVED] Category and Product Image Thumbnail Resizing

Started by markholland8, November 09, 2011, 14:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rupesh

Quote from: BanquetTables.pro on January 07, 2012, 13:30:05 PM
the newest version has this
<div class="additional-images">
if not, to resize the images, you neeed to change the default image size in the vmart cnfiguration.
THEN, make sure dynamic thumbnails are turned on.
DELETE the images that are in the /resized/ folder, and the new size will automatically be created

hoe to change default image size in the vmart cnfiguration?

rupesh

Quote from: BanquetTables.pro on November 09, 2011, 15:38:20 PM
EMPTY the resized folder.

make sure dynamic thumbnails are turned on.

THEN, when each page is requested, it automatically recreates them
i have set 85 *145 and empty resized folder but now its looking very odd
see
http://www.elifeshopping.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=50

man-cave-signs

Worked for me! SORT OF  8)
Deleted thumbnails, but then sure enough the default VM Template still generated 90 x 90 thumbs, so??

The Default Virtuemart Template layout for displaying products and categories sets their container style to a width of 30%. I just simply changed this in the CSS File located in /joomlaroot/components/com_virtuemart/assets/css/vmsite-ltr.css    <---- This is CSS for VM Template, not the same as your site template ya digg?       download the file via ftp    ,   open with wordpad and do a quick search for .width30 and delete everything inside the {  } brackets  that follow it-- -- ---   boom, now the VM template isn't resizing my thumbnails to 30% and they are showing properly with 2 products per row and 250 px X 250 px, EASY DAY!!!       If you need an EASY WAY TO CHECK and MODIFY CSS on live sites try firebug , its an addon to firefox and lets you make live changes to CSS files without actually changing them so you can preview the changes, and see what css is affecting what parts of the site, GOOD LUCK ERY ONE!

chiappa

watch out for overrides

div.category-view div.floatleft { border: 2px solid #f6f6f6; border-radius: 0px 0px 10px 10px; -moz-border-radius: 0px 0px 10px 10px; -webkit-border-radius: 0px 0px 10px 10px; margin-top: 15px !important; margin-right: 7px !important; width: 170px !important; height: 170px !important; padding: 5px 0 !important; text-align: center; }

div.category-view div.floatleft img { max-height: 110px !important; min-height: 110px !important; padding: 5px; }

If you have a linux box.. for example you can try grep -r -H "div.category-view" . in Joomla root to see if you have overrides in your template folder as was my case.. First bunch of CSS sets the category box size, second the image size within.

anisimow

css isn't a good idea to solve this problem.  Your browser must load huge images and if there is a lot of images and slow internet.  You mast generate thumb with VM tools
instend
$image = $product->images[0]->displayMediaThumb ('class="featuredProductImage" border="0"', FALSE);
insert
if (!empty($product->images[0]) && is_a($product->images[0],'VmImage')) {
//$image = $product->images[0]->displayMediaThumb ('class="featuredProductImage" border="0"', FALSE);
$width=141;//your width
$height=195;//your height
$prod_img = &$product->images[0];
$file_name_thumb = $prod_img->createThumbName($width,$height);
$resizedImage_url = $prod_img->file_url_folder_thumb.$file_name_thumb.'.'.$prod_img->file_extension;
if (!file_exists($resizedImage_url)) {
$resizedImage_url = $prod_img->createThumb($width,$height);
}
$image = JHTML::image(JURI::root().$resizedImage_url, '', '');
} else {
$image = '';
}

good luck

lostmail

hm - emptied all images in folder resized => cleared cache in Joomla => go to Frontpage => call some pages => no images are resized.....

What can that be that the resize function is not working anymore ?

Dynamic image modification is enabled in VM

Joomla 3.x | VirtueMart 4.0.12 107771 | HORME3 PRO 1.9.6 / 2.0
VirtueMart 4.2.4 | Joomla 4.4.1 | PHP 8.1 | Vp_neoteric 1.3

ironlion37

I've found a potential solution for this. I use this plugin on my site:

http://www.magictoolbox.com/magiczoom/

It works well and is capable of generating and displaying thumbs on the flypage (does anyone know why it's called that?) as well as on category browse pages. It then loads the fulls size image for zoom after page load. Actually that's an assumption - I have an email into the developer to confirm...

You can see in action here: www.thecrystalcache.com

rayge

I am having the same issue.. 
Dynamic Thumbnail Resizing is on but no Product thumbnails are being rebuilt.
Category thumbnails are working though

**UPDATE**
OK for others with this issue use the following query:

UPDATE `PREFIX_virtuemart_medias`SET file_url_thumb = '' WHERE `file_type` = 'product';
I Use: Joomla 3.4.1 & VM 3.0.9

guybr

I'm assuming the solution to this problem still involves deleting the images in the "resize" folder - but a search in the forum doesn't yield its address for VM 2.

Where do I find that directory? Do I delete the directory itself or just the images it contains?

jenkinhill

The resized directories are located where yiou should expect to find them, eg for products - images/stories/virtuemart/product/resized/

Delete the files, not the directory.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

d0ublezer0

Hi!
how to force vm to rebuild all the images at once?
Dynamic mode slows down first page load
more than 3000 goods -
will be cool, if all images recreated at once

tehribo

All images in /resized/ folder - Deleted
Dynamic Thumbnail Resizing - Enabled
UPDATE  `klhd8_virtuemart_medias` SET file_url_thumb =  '' WHERE  `file_type` =  'product'   -SQL Query done

In a category view the thumbnail size is small and ugly again :(

PRO

Quote from: tehribo on April 25, 2016, 19:56:13 PM
All images in /resized/ folder - Deleted
Dynamic Thumbnail Resizing - Enabled
UPDATE  `klhd8_virtuemart_medias` SET file_url_thumb =  '' WHERE  `file_type` =  'product'   -SQL Query done

In a category view the thumbnail size is small and ugly again :(

is the css restraining the size?