News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Backup products and categories

Started by alexsai, October 17, 2011, 15:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexsai

Hi developers,
is there a way to backup and restore products?
Is it possible just to export the products table or it is linked with others tables?
This would be very usefull when something go bad and you have to reinstall VM from zero ( i did it so many times in the last weeks ).
Thx

PRO

alexsai

It seems a damn well done component, it will be very usefull.

But i have another question, let's make an example.
If I use VM RC2i and I backup all the product tables will I be able to restore them in version VM RC2m ( assuming that the structure of those tables is unchanged ).
es..
#__virtuemart_product_categories
#__virtuemart_product_customfields
#__virtuemart_product_downloads
#__virtuemart_product_manufacturers
#__virtuemart_product_medias
#__virtuemart_product_prices
#__virtuemart_product_relations
#__virtuemart_products

PRO

alexsai

Sometimes it happen to me that the upgrade system broke VM and i had to install from zero. 
I want to preserv only products data in order to load it in the fresh version. Like from i to l version.

PRO

ok, well akeebah has a restore point that saves a small backup anytime an update/or extension install occurs.

I dont know if its in the free, or pro version.

Its called "restore points" or something like that

Milbo

hello alexsai. I am sorry that you had to reinstall vm2 so often again. When you want to backup your products, you must store all tables with virtuemart_product*, as you already described above.

But you should know that since RC2a or so,.. all virtuemart installers upgrade your database. When you want todo that manually, go to tools and use
"Install tables or if necessary update them". You can press this button as often as you want. You can always reset your database tables with the comands "Reset all tables and ....". This commands delete ALL virtuemart_ tables and execute the same sql as the installer. 
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

alexsai

@BanquetTables.pro
I seen that the selection of single components is a pro version feature. Anyway thanks, this is a great tool!

@Milbo
No problem, that's the price to pay for using a beta version :)
I used a lot the "reset function", it's very usefull. I'll try the other one soon. Thx!