News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Attributes/Custom Fields Thread

Started by PRO, September 12, 2011, 15:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

programador.5

Hello. I've been reading the thread so far, and I have the following issue with custom fields: Our client has asked us to add certain fields to the products (mostly string and textarea types), so he can fill additional information about the product. I've already created these custom fields and tried adding them to one test product, and they're working fine.

However, I need to add the custom fields to all of the products in the store. Is there any easy way to do this?

(The values of the custom fields I'll add them through a CSVI import, but first I need all the products to have the fields)

I'm using Joomla 2.5.7 and virtuemart 2.0.18b

PRO

programador.5

if you do the import right it will add it with csv improved (I think)

programador.5

So far, I haven't been able to make it work. I add the custom_title and the custom_value fields. But when I do the actual import, only those productz that had the fields added manually get the values updated. The rest don't...
I'll take another look at the csvi manual, though.

programador.5

As far as I can see, CSV Improved updates the custom values only as long as the given product has the custom fields. I've tried to add both the custom_field and the custom_value to products with no custom fields and it isn't working... So far, it seems that indeed you have to add first all of the custom fields to the products before being able to mass import the values.

Taking a look at the database, it seems that each custom field has a product id field, which tells each custom field to which product is assigned... It seems the easiest option to be able to add this information would be to modify the product creation rules to include all of the custom fields, so when a new product is created, it already has assigned said custom fields.

I'm rather new to virtuemart, is there any guide as to which files handle the product creation rules?

Thanks!

PRO

you can also import straight into database

You export via csv improved.

Then change the column names etc.

also, and see attached for custom fields for csv improved

[attachment cleanup by admin]

programador.5

Thanks for the databse tip, PRO. Although I managed to get it working by accident.
I imported all my products as usual through CSV Improved, and then imported another CSV with only product_sku, custom_title and custom_value, and worked allright.

I've been testing it for a couple of hours and it works every time I do both imports, but doesn't works if I only import the file with all of the product data... I admit I have no idea what's going on, but since it's working so far, I'm not going to complain too much  ;D

Rittermann

Hi,

Yesterday my custom fields worked just fine, but today I get what is on the attached image?

I don't know what I have done to make the change?  ???

I'm running Virtuemart 2.0.20b on Joomla 2.5.9

[attachment cleanup by admin]

Adam Bazaroff

For example:
I have jewelry item. It has an pearl, silver & a bead.Another item has a diamond, silver & a gold.
Can I make list of all variations in custom field, and then select some of it for every product.

List of possible materials is: metal; gold; silver; bead; chain; stone; wood; pearl; diamond; etc...
But I want to select multiple fields for every product.

And it only for customer information & product description, no needs to price variations or stock control. Any help?
/Adam'B ... Poor english mode [ON] ;D

walkout_

Hi,

I have a Custom Field Type: Cart Variant ; for a Product Size (XS, S, M, L, XL, etc.).

Custom field shows in productdetails view (default_addtocart.php) but not in category view (default.php) even files contains a same code:

<?php // Product custom_fields
if (!empty($this->product->customfieldsCart)) {  ?>

<div class="product-fields">
<?php foreach ($this->product->customfieldsCart as $field)
?>
<div style="display:inline-block;" class="product-field product-field-type-<?php echo $field->field_type ?>">
<span class="product-fields-title" ><b><?php echo  JText::_($field->custom_title?></b></span>
<?php echo JHTML::tooltip($field->custom_tip,  JText::_($field->custom_title), 'tooltip.png'); ?>
<span class="product-field-display"><?php echo $field->display ?></span>

<span class="product-field-desc"><?php echo $field->custom_field_desc ?></span>
</div>
<?php
}
?>

</div>
<?php ?>

What do do to get my custom filed show in Add Chart Button in category view?

Ninjab

hi there,

I am having a problem with the generic child variant feature. It is not showing my child products in my parent product when I add the generic child variant custom field. My steps are as follows:

1. Create parent product.

2. Create 2-3 child variant products under the parent product.

3. Goto custom fields menu (from the main menu, not the parent product submenu) and create a new custom field. I select generic child variant, give it a title and then click save.

4. Go to the parent product again and then to custom fields. I select the generic cart variant I just made and add it, click on the drop down but there is no child products in the list.

Can someone please advise if I have been doing it wrong? I have read various tutorials and I followed what they did and I cannot get it to work. Thanks.

Ninjab

Can someone please help on my issue above? I cannot go any further into doing my website if the generic child variant doesnt work.

Thanks.

PRO

Quote from: Ninjab on May 03, 2013, 04:20:42 AM
Can someone please help on my issue above? I cannot go any further into doing my website if the generic child variant doesnt work.

Thanks.

its better to create a thread about this

t68

I want to use a custom field were customers add their own lettering and pay per character when ordering a product with text printed on it. Got it almost working but the character limitation of the input that i define in VM admin doesn't work on the front end. I can ad infinite number of characters there.

I'm on j2.5.9 and vm2.0.1. Is there any fix/coding i can apply to sort this?

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk 2

PRO

Quote from: t68 on June 19, 2013, 20:29:27 PM
I want to use a custom field were customers add their own lettering and pay per character when ordering a product with text printed on it. Got it almost working but the character limitation of the input that i define in VM admin doesn't work on the front end. I can ad infinite number of characters there.

I think its the version you have

t68

Quote from: PRO on June 21, 2013, 21:25:37 PM
Quote from: t68 on June 19, 2013, 20:29:27 PM

I think its the version you have

Thanks for answering!
... And damn, have to stick to this version since my payment module doesn't support newer versions of vm :-(.