News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Attributes/Custom Fields Thread

Started by PRO, September 12, 2011, 15:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRO

Quote from: dsrpmedia on March 29, 2012, 19:48:47 PM
BTP`s plugin looks to be very close - unfortunately all my attributes have to have their own SKU reference which I don `t see as an option - this is promising though, if it can be done for basic attributes one would think that it can be done for parents/children?

It can,

I cannot do it though, because I do not use childs, I made this plugin for me, because I have to migrate my shop ASAP. and I was very used to 1..1 attributes.

I made this plugin in a couple days. BUT::::: to make it to where OTHER people can use it, it has taken at least another week.

It would take a week or so worth of work for me to add child functionality (that i wont use) and I am not charging for it.

Thats the value that paid developers bring to the table, is they make their component/module/plugin work in many scenarios. countries, languages, currencies, if this, is that.

corymp

Quote from: BanquetTables.pro on March 29, 2012, 20:17:25 PM

Thats the value that paid developers bring to the table, is they make their component/module/plugin work in many scenarios. countries, languages, currencies, if this, is that.
Why don't you put a price tag on it. A well developed plugin to work with stock control is in pretty high demand around here
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

mowgs

+1 on the paid BTP plugin.

No pressure, If you havn't got the time or particular need to do it then  no worries, but I for one would be happy to donate/pay towards it!

jochem8

Same here!
It is quite sad that we need a plugin for something that should be standard, though.

dsrpmedia

exactly - this basic functionality has been a part of Virtuemart since the very beginning, I have no idea why they would cut it out of the new version - makes no sense

PRO

Quote from: dsrpmedia on March 30, 2012, 17:45:57 PM
exactly - this basic functionality has been a part of Virtuemart since the very beginning, I have no idea why they would cut it out of the new version - makes no sense

cut what out?

dsrpmedia

the basic functionality which seems to have been cut out is the ability to include the actual attribute & price of the child product in the dropdown the way you used to (vm 1.1)

eg (old version dropdown contents - see http://www.nutrawholesale.com/nutra-organic-plant-acids-opa/2-step-anti-flu-program?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=43 for a live page example)

hand shovel - Type (plastic) - $2.99
hand shovel - Type (metal) - $5.99
hand shovel - Type (aluminum) - $7.99

is now just

hand shovel
hand shovel
hand shovel

also,
- you can `t have a parent product without a price the way it used to be - all the children disappear if you remove the parent price
-and, the parent is added to the dropdown with apparently no option to remove it

I`ve been trying for months to replicate this (simple in VM 1.1) setup.

And I know from monitoring the forums there are a LOT of people in my position.

PRO

Quote from: dsrpmedia on March 30, 2012, 20:32:16 PM
the basic functionality which seems to have been cut out is the ability to include the actual attribute & price of the child product in the dropdown the way you used to (vm 1.1)

eg (old version dropdown contents - see http://www.nutrawholesale.com/nutra-organic-plant-acids-opa/2-step-anti-flu-program?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=43 for a live page example)

hand shovel - Type (plastic) - $2.99
hand shovel - Type (metal) - $5.99
hand shovel - Type (aluminum) - $7.99

is now just

hand shovel
hand shovel
hand shovel

also,
- you can `t have a parent product without a price the way it used to be - all the children disappear if you remove the parent price
-and, the parent is added to the dropdown with apparently no option to remove it

I`ve been trying for months to replicate this (simple in VM 1.1) setup.

And I know from monitoring the forums there are a LOT of people in my position.

does this thread help?

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100480.0

dsrpmedia

I really appreciate your help, but I am am having no luck at all, with this new format these tasks which used to be so simple just seem to be mind bendingly difficult.

I tried my best to follow the steps, but at the end I wound up getting a bunch of errors

'Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path-to-site/plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 187

it still does not appear that you can have a parent without a price with the children orderable....

this is a nightnmare... it used to be soooo easy

has anyone else manage to get this to work?

dsrpmedia

Quotedoes this thread help?

it appears that HG as well cannot replicate the basic parent / child functionality from VM 1.1 (see thread http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100480.0 )

with his technique you cannot have the parent as a 'shell' with no price & the children being the actual products you order as in VM 1.1 (parent must have price or child products do not appear in VM 2)

also you cannot simply put the price of the child product, you must make your potential customers do math to figure out your pricing

(parent product $1.37, child product is displayed as '+$2.68' client has to figure out on their own that the cost is $4.05)

whereas in VM 1.1 you could simply say 'child product name + attribute + price' in the dropdown.

If none of that is a concern then HG`s technique is great, unfortunately I have built several VM 1.1 shops which I need to switch to a cart which runs on joomla 2.5 & downgrading the basic display/functionality of these sites will be unacceptable to my clients.

phonky

OK, so first of all thanks for all the great work done on this. I was starting to write a whole cart and ordering app from scratch...

I have been asked to update a pizza shop to provide online ordering.
It is running on joomla1.5 so I'll probably want to stick to that to not complexify my life further :)

Now, I am creating pizzas as products.
We need to provide the user the possibility to choose additional ingredients.
So I created custom fields, and instinctively created them as boolean type.

However, when I look at my pizza, the options appear fine, but there is only one radio saying "Yes" and it is preselected.
I can't see no way to deselect the option.
I need to be able for the user to select/deselect the ingredient / custom field.

How to do that? Is that a bug for the boolean custom field, or should I use something else?
thanks

jenkinhill

Quote from: phonky on March 31, 2012, 10:05:14 AM
It is running on joomla1.5 so I'll probably want to stick to that to not complexify my life further :)

You need to think seriously about that. J1.5 goes end of life in 3 weeks time, with the possibility (not confirmed) that there may be security updates for critical issues only until September this year. After that you will be on your own.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

phonky

jenkinhill, thanks for your consideration.

Thing is, I am taking over a project someone else did a few years ago to extend the pizza shop with an online ordering option.
I have worked in php and used other CMS, but it's my first project in joomla.
And I have enough experience to know what it means to do a migration from a 1.5 to a 2.5 -rarely things just work out of the box.
I already checked the guide for upgrading. For example, my project is using CKForms, for which apparently there's no 2.5 version...
That holds me back to even try.
So lots of variables I am not willing to touch - also because I have been contracted to do the online ordering part, not a full upgrade...

I might need to talk to the client though and tell them.

dsrpmedia

if all you are being paid to do is add ordering to a joomla 1.5 site you should perhaps think about using vm 1.1

I have several clients in the same position, a couple have asked me to upgrade to vm 2.0 - and after several weeks I am still not able to get the basic functionality of vm 1.1 working in vm 2 - there are several people here with the same problem

see for example this thread (which if you can get it working will actually solve your problem - but I am not alone in having zero success)

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100480.new#new

-bottom line if you are going to try to get a vm2 shop going get paid for the upgrade (and factor in a lot of ARGHHH time)
-if they won `t pay for the upgrade vm 1.1 is sooooo much easier / bugfree - and at a later (more mature) time you can do the upgrade when absolutely neccessary.

I still have clients using joomla 1.0 / vm 1.0 & they are in no hurry to upgrade (if it aint broke why fix it? is their attitude)

webdesignforyou

Hello,

i am having a little trouble with my custom field wondering if you could help. i am getting an error message like this; Warning: Missing argument 4 for plgVmCustomStockable::plgVmOnViewCart() in /homepages/40/d376259668/htdocs/fightstore/plugins/vmcustom/stockable.php on line 345

when i try and add a field for sizes. please help :-)