News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Attributes/Custom Fields Thread

Started by PRO, September 12, 2011, 15:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corymp

That is where it gets limited it seems. I literally named the title of the child products "Almond 24mg" "Almond 16mg" etc.... I haven't tried the prices because for me, I sell all strengths at the same price. I would like to have just 24mg, 16mg, 11mg but then the title of the page would be just 24mg or 16mg etc.

Edit:

It's the glasslab template from Linelab to get parameters working takes a bit of modifying the php. I'm trying to get related products working now....
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

very nice template.

that`s what I was saying about vm2 seeming to be a step back in so many ways - something so simple in VM 1.1 is apparently not possible to recreate in VM2

I`ve got a bunch of clients who want to upgrade their joomla 1.5 / vm 2.0 shops & I`m stuck telling them all 'you can `t get there from here...'

now with 1.5 reaching end of life I have no answer when they ask 'so what am I supposed to do?

just last week I built 2 shops based on 1.5 / vm 1.1 even though that is going to cause me problems later -  I couldn `t in good conscience set them up with this vm2.0 setup

if it`s not hopelessly buggy & it`s just that no-one understands it, I hope someone understands it soon (someone who can explain it that is)

corymp

I think the problem was that joomla changed to a new system of views and so VM had to follow suit. Causing them to have to go back to the drawing board and start basically from scratch. Now that all the work is done, they have to work with what they got. Obviously they never thought this completely through when building their framework
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

I agree - and it`s completely understandable.

Over the years one of the things I have come to love about working with virtuemart is the community - incredibly brilliant, helpful people - I probably wouldn `t be working in web development today if I hadn `t stumbled across virtuemart a few years ago.

That being said it is very frustrating none the less that things as basic as parent/child relationships & migration from the old system haven `t been more fully worked out

corymp

Two things that are missing right now.
1. I would like an option for children to inherit the product name from the parent
2. I would like an option to hide the parent product's price.

That would fix things for me......for now...until the next problem arises

Edit:

And get rid of that stupid radio button as well as the parent product from the dropdown!
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

John2400

Hi corymp ,
That looks almost what we are looking for -
Yep a few issues in regards to set out and that radio button.

Site - looks great - the template.

Could you confirm what happens when you get to 0 products in one of your options and does the stock go down correctly.

* different prices for different sizes -dsrpmedia asked about the prices option - does different prices work?

corymp

Quote from: John2400 on March 18, 2012, 01:41:24 AM
Hi corymp ,
That looks almost what we are looking for -
Yep a few issues in regards to set out and that radio button.

Site - looks great - the template.

Could you confirm what happens when you get to 0 products in one of your options and does the stock go down correctly.

* different prices for different sizes -dsrpmedia asked about the prices option - does different prices work?
Please check this URL. I have different prices set for each child for example http://test2.firenl.com/store/eliquid/tobacco-flavors/flue-cured-tobacco-detail

Different prices does work. but the parent has to have a price and is independent of the children. Which is a problem, there should be no price displayed for the parent. In my case anyway

I have almost figured out how to fix the radio button. If I can style that particular radio to display:none, it will indeed disappear and leave the drop-down intact.

Stock, I haven't tested. All my products are 0 stock right now anyway. I have it set to allow selling of products with no stock in the back-end. I can definitely check it out for you though
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

QuoteTwo things that are missing right now.
1. I would like an option for children to inherit the product name from the parent
2. I would like an option to hide the parent product's price.

That would fix things for me......for now...until the next problem arises

Edit:

And get rid of that stupid radio button as well as the parent product from the dropdown!

I would add one more to that

3)  to have the child products size /color attribute & price visible in the dropdown the way it is in VM1.1 (that is a huge one for me)

those 3 things & I could move on to figuring out the shipping.

corymp

:) I got rid of the radio button

make this the last line of your templates stylesheet

.product-field-display input { display:none; }

I'm not sure what this will do if there are other custom field types in there. but the dropdown is still there so that says something
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

John2400

corymp

I'm sure in one forum there was a post about setting prices and a hack that got rid of the add to feature-
so the parent had a price and the varient had a price - independent of each other . (sorry that appears to be Ok on your site)

Thus you might be able to set the parent price to 0  and then your product description and cost will match each other.

I'm sure Bruce - was really after the issue of what happens when products get to 0 and does 'notify' appear or other options-

Thus - is you sell out of a size will that option disappear. or have any affect on the over selling , or have an affect on the other products.

I see you got rid of the radio button - in your post - well done.

John2400

corymp

Could you post your solution on this forum

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=99590.0

I'm sure Milbo reads this thread but I think you are very close to solving the issue.

* This will just add a  little support to helping solve the attribute issue.

* Try and explain in some detail what you did and see if that helps the team.

We apprecite you time and skill in this matter.

corymp

Quote from: John2400 on March 18, 2012, 02:15:29 AM
corymp

Could you post your solution on this forum

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=99590.0

I'm sure Milbo reads this thread but I think you are very close to solving the issue.

* This will just add a  little support to helping solve the attribute issue.

* Try and explain in some detail what you did and see if that helps the team.

We apprecite you time and skill in this matter.

I will write something up and post it there. In the meantime, my fix for the radio button DID work in safari... I was browsing the wrong product  :o It's late and I've been at this too long tonight. At least we have a workaround for that

As for tracking stock. It works correctly. When set to show notify instead of add-to-cart button on 0 stock. That doesn't seem to be working. but if you add it to cart, a popup states it is out of stock
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

Quotedsrpmedia ,
The actual line 'no additional charge'  lives in the language files - you can just delete this line
in en-GB.com_virtuemart.ini
(or the language you use) --
* the rest I am still working on as you can see my posts - previously.

I removed that line from the languge file & it is now gone - but that leaves the question - why was it there? it is the text for 'COM_VIRTUEMART_CART_PRICE_FREE' - there is nothing free there - in fact if you try to make the parent free the children disappear!

what happens if somewhere else in the store I actually have something which is free? (I`ve removed the  'no additional charge' text option so that it doesn `t appear under the child product drop downs)

corymp

create this file languages/overrides/en-GB.override.ini
add this line to it:
COM_VIRTUEMART_CART_PRICE_FREE=""

That's how I did it. That way if you update virtuemart your change will hold
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

much better solution, thank you

hopefully soon someone will address why it is showing up in the first place  8)