News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Attributes/Custom Fields Thread

Started by PRO, September 12, 2011, 15:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRO

Quote from: lyrictech on February 01, 2012, 18:53:20 PM
If someone from VM could just reply to let us know what is going on with this issue, we'd appreciate it. Even a "we are working on the issue", or "'we are working on documentation to explain exactly how to do it" --- ANY kind of reply would be great. Thanks!

what is the issue?

SergioBo

The problem is that the attributes do not work, and specifically not the plugin VMCUSTOM_STOCKABLE.

Inserted products, children products and assigned classes will not appear on the selection of variants will drop down menu ... the photo shows what comes out ..

I think we tried every way possible, please check and give us feedback. thanks

[IMG=http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2948/errorvm2.jpg][/IMG]

mangotti

Also, what about inventory tracking for custom attributes? I've seen on here that it's possbile and even a thread on how to do it but it doesn't even work. I have that posted in another thread that VM Team will not answer. The community needs answers. This is frustrating for all of us and just as lyrictech posted
Quote from: lyrictech on February 01, 2012, 18:53:20 PM
If someone from VM could just reply to let us know what is going on with this issue, we'd appreciate it. Even a "we are working on the issue", or "'we are working on documentation to explain exactly how to do it" --- ANY kind of reply would be great. Thanks!

It would be nice to be addressed by the team with something instead of dead end posts and BARELY any documentation!  >:(

PRO

Quote from: SergioBo on February 01, 2012, 19:46:02 PM
The problem is that the attributes do not work, and specifically not the plugin VMCUSTOM_STOCKABLE.

Inserted products, children products and assigned classes will not appear on the selection of variants will drop down menu ... the photo shows what comes out ..

I think we tried every way possible, please check and give us feedback. thanks

[IMG=http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2948/errorvm2.jpg][/IMG]

what happens when you switch the custom field to "cart" variant?

I see by the position it is suposed to be in it is assigned to the "normal" position.

SergioBo

does not work. putting the cart custom field variation is not possible to manage inventory for variants will select products son. I attach image.
There is a solution to manage inventory and variations? I think it does not work. Furthermore, we have no confema by staff or other useful information

[IMG=http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1616/vmerror2.jpg][/IMG]

adamjakab

Ok! I have a solution 4 u!
And since just to understand how to add a select box to a product took me 4hrs I thought I'd share this with you.

I don't know if this is the right/only way to do this but it works.
Moreover this way you don't need to setup child products (obviously you won't have stock control on variants).

It will give you the possibility to:
1) define options for custom variables for your product in back-end (modifying products price if u need),
2) display custom variables as select boxes on product's page,
3) add product to cart with options selected

Let's say we want to add a product "CAT" and we want user to be able to select "SIZE" attributes.

I'll wal you through:
1) create product CAT (duh?!)
2) go to VM/PRODUCTS/Custom Fields
3) Add new
4) SET:
- Custom Field Type: Cart Variant
- Title: SIZE
- Description: Select the size of your cat
- Default: (don't put anything)
- Tooltip: (put whatever u want)
- Parent: (don't put anything - leave it "Please Select")
- Published: YES
- Admin only: NO
- Is a list: NO (this option is obscure for me)
- Hidden: NO
- Cart Attribute: YES

5) Save
6) go back to your CAT product and edit it
7) go to last "Custom Fields" tab
8) from the select box under "Custom Field Type" select "SIZE" (the name of your custom field added in #4)
9) repeat step #8 as many times as many options you want to add to SIZE field
10 (I do it 3 times and in the value boxes I put "Skiny", "Medium", "Fat")
11 (...for ordering you can just drag the lines up/down if u need)
12 (if you put +/-[number] into Price field the option will modify your product's price)
13 Save product
14 Go to front-end to your product's page
15 Enjoy.

ADVANCED/OPTIONAL: For my needs I actually modified 3 VM files (NOTE: this version ov VM2 is much better written and organized than v1) and so I can actually add custom parameters on each custom field option. This, for what I have seen is NOT supported, so needs some modding.
Let's say each variant of your CAT has different product code that needs to be shown on products page when option is selected and needs to be evidenced in Cart when product is added. like:
"CAT.S" = "Skiny Cat"
"CAT.M" = "Medium Cat"
"CAT.F" = "Fat Cat"
It can be done - but i must run now - i you're interested drop a line here and i'll write it up (maybe som VM Admin will shout me for that - but meybe it is a good idea and could be integrated into base functionallity)

ciao

PS: I am using J!1.5.18 with VM2.0.0

John2400

Hi adamjakab,

Just to let you know and ask maybe a silly question but - You like all the others using VM2 tell us to choose the "custom field" Cart Variant and you actually have it highlighted in red.

I am using 2.0.1 and JM1.7.3 and there is no option to choose "cart variant" we have adrop down box that gives us , string,integer,parent,boolean,date. time, image and plug in ( if you choose plug in) another box appears - with 3 options. Do you have these or is yours different?
This might be the cause of some - like me as "cart Variant" the actual words  is not in my options.
Thus we are having great difficulty making simple - drop down boxes.

Lexiboy

I do not want to sound obnoxious but are you sure that the option cart variant is not in the list? I use the same version. I first totally overlooked it, but it is in between image and plugins. I was looking for Variant instead of Card Variant.

Apart from that, I cannot say that it works well.

• First of all: I want the variants to be listed with radion buttons, but they show as dropdown.
  • Second, I cannot sort them. The only way to sort is to enter them in the correct order. The latest addition goes to the top. Very nasty if you later have to add to the list.
  • Third, I cannot make one as default.

Is there a way to solve this?
With kind regards,
Alex Stienstra

John2400

Lexiboy

Just so you can see - Version exact - 2.0.1 and JM 1.7.3 -
( You say you are using an earlier version 1.5? 

No choice -?

Am I looking in the wrong place - this just seems odd to me and thus we will both know why others might not see what others migh see.

No harm in double checking.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

jenkinhill

John download 2.0.1b - that includes Cart Variant.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

John2400

Thanks Jenkinhill - look in the first Forum message - it is not really clear that 2.0.1 is(a) and 2.0.1b are two separate downloads.

It appears to me that the release of 2.0.1 was released and then one was called a and then b. ( as an updated forum post)

But thanks _ I'll download and update now -

j 1.7.3 and VM now 2.0.1b

I can now see the cart variant -and I'll play with that tomorrow

Sitting here late at night - 11.19 pm - Actually playing on the computer trying to get my site right -
* now all I needs is Paypal payment to send correctly - an invoice from the shop, but if it doesn't work Paypal will still send an invoice. 
* on a basic level my shop will work --

* just as by line I'm up waiting for my house to flood - as the river has just broken its banks and will flood my street and house in about 6 hours.

SergioBo

there is no way to create attributes with stock control even with the version 2.0.2b. No one can tell you there is a problem or providing a solution ....

nickybutler

Quote from: zzsser on November 06, 2011, 12:59:47 PM
Thank you for your reply but this is not what we are trying to do.

What you mean is grouping custom fields, for example like this:

Inserting Parent "all_my_fields" add automatically:
       Child "colour" (showing a list with only one colour, all other colors have to be manually typed)
       Child "size" (showing a list with only one size, all other sizes have to be manually typed)
       Child "..." (showing a list with only one ..., all other ... have to be manually typed)

What we would like is inserting Field "Colour" with all its variables (blue, red, grey,...) automatically.

This way doesn't work:

Inserting Parent "Colour" doesn't add automatically:
       Child "blue"
       Child "red"
       Child "..."

Is it possible to do this yet and if so how? If not when is it planned to be available?

Jeff

this will be a deal breaker for many if it cannot work in a simple fashion.
Jeff MacDougall

SergioBo

can anyone able to give a clear and decisive. The plugin custom variants stockable works or not?