News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

'Selective' Migration

Started by Hammerhead, September 09, 2011, 03:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerhead

I would like to migrate to J1.7 and VM2.x, but do NOT wish to take the former catalog with me because we are changing our store strategy so dramatically for this year that none of the old catalog information pertains.  The only thing I wish to migrate are users, order history/invoices (etc.) and some settings if possible.  How would one go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Milbo

There are different tasks. We want to add even some more options, like port flypages to layout and things like this.

But afaik you can do that.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

PRO

Milbo, the flypages use different php variables etc. I dont think its worth the trouble.

Milbo

You misunderstood me Banquet, when people already heavily used different flypges in vm1.1 then they should port them to layouts, give them the same name and when they import their products then, the products use the old "flypages".
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Hammerhead

Mibo, thanks for the reply.

I'm presently running VM 1.1.5 - not sure which current version of VM is recommended - do I want 1.9?  2.0?  In either case, where would I find the migration script to upgrade and bring my data to a new installation?  Not seeing it in the downloads area.

Thanks!

Milbo

You dont need that, just wait for the next release. We enhanced the migrator again. The migrator is IN vm2, you don't need to uninstall vm, just unistall the old modules /plugins for vm1.1

Hammerhead

Sounds good... when's the new release due?  I'm rather anxious to relaunch my store soon, so that we can capture the opportunity in this upcoming holiday season.  Is it not possible to start the migration now?  Remember - all I really need are customer/users , order history and the other components/modules are already available.

IOW, could I not use Akeeba to create a 'migrate' installation, upgrade that VM install, then bring the result to a new fresh Joomla/VM installation to begin rebuilding my catalog?

Just not really sure what the 'order of operations' should be, here.  Would appreciate some guidance... I'm a bit lost in the woods.

Thanks!!!

Milbo

Hammerhead

Mibo, thanks for your reply, that information helps.

I think what I want to do is still not clear.

I want to start with a new fresh installation.  But I do want to bring over only users and orders from the existing store.

Here's what I plan to do.  Let me know if you see anything wrong?

1) Use Akeeba to backup and install old store to a temporary folder and temporary DB
2) Disable all VM plugins on temporary site.
3) Install VM2 and use migration tool on temporary site.
4) ?  - Not sure what to do about getting the old users/orders to the new fresh install.

To clarify, I will NOT be needing any old templates, store settings, manufacturers, items, images or anything.

My objective is to start over, as though I were beginning "from scratch", but with the benefit of having legacy customer information only.

Milbo

I could do a file for you, doing this.

Hammerhead

That's a possibility, but it would help me to go through the exercise to understand more about VM and how it works.  I'm still learning.

So, if I follow the above procedures, what table(s) would I need from the temporary DB?  I presume I'd need some Joomla tables also, yes?  Is it safe to just import those tables directly into the target DB after changing the prefix accordingly?

Milbo

oh, for exampel for the orders you need the products, I would write it in your case so, that the products are not published
of course you can migrate them without products, but I may have todo some extra work.

Hammerhead

Is there no way to import legacy data without having the corresponding product?  What if the items are no longer made or carried in the store, but we still want to know what a customer ordered, when, and how much they spent with us?

Again, all I really want is to bring forward legacy order and customer information.  I presume I'll need both VM and Joomla user information, but I need to understand what data is required and how to get it over to a new (vanilla) install.

Thanks!

Hammerhead

Quote from: Hammerhead on September 20, 2011, 16:46:16 PM
Is there no way to import legacy data without having the corresponding product?  What if the items are no longer made or carried in the store, but we still want to know what a customer ordered, when, and how much they spent with us?

Again, all I really want is to bring forward legacy order and customer information.  I presume I'll need both VM and Joomla user information, but I need to understand what data is required and how to get it over to a new (vanilla) install.

Thanks!
Bump.

PRO

hammerhead. YOU can bring the whole site over. THEN, change the order items to a new products called. "Former Product etc."

THEN, delete all the products from the database.

That will save the price they paid. BUT not the product