News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Is there inventory control for attributes ?

Started by netboard, July 12, 2011, 22:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netboard

I tried it and can't understand how it works. I try and try.
I don't say that another systems are very easy and virtuemart is not . You have to same work but not as hard as vm.
There is no select option for child just select box ?

woonydanny

Quote from: Milbo on July 29, 2011, 22:11:11 PM
It seems you did not understand what a child product is.

I think you dont even know that you can create a product pattern in vm2.

A child product is inheriting ALL attributes of the parent, if not overwritten by the child.

There is no big difference compared to the others systems. In fact the creation of the child will later be done in the background maybe  ( a kind of wizard doing that for you).

to underline, what you have todo is ONLY - add child relation> add children, in each children change stock and relation name.

In every system, you must define the stock and the name and add something. The others add variants, we add childproducts.

Why we do add childproducts? you can show different images for every variant. Every variant can have its own description or is taking the description of the parent.

You can have 50 stocks in your storage and present them as one product.

Sorry that I sound angry, but this is really a bit stupid. You did not even tried it and why do you constantly state that there is no inventory controll, when in fact there is an inventory controll, hmm.

Hi Max,

Maybe if you could do a quick video tutorial it would help clear this up for alot of people.

:)

Studio 42

I think whe do a tutorial and a video.

The system is simple but the way to do it, is sometime confusing the first time.

Advantage of the system is you can do child relation as image or value or in next times with plugins(color picker or flash or image uploading.

The new system is "writing from scratch" and is not totally perfect but think not harder to understand as vm 1.1.x series.

What you don't understand he's you can use the Cloning products to setup your child
create a clone of a child , edit  it (name, stock) and voila you have your second child.
YOu set each variant in 2 minutes and if you use update/migrate for your medias( after uploading it to your product images folder ) you can set the images for each childrend in 10 secondes.
If you use the right methodes you can't do it faster ;)

But sure the first time you loose a litle time, but you win it after

Patrick

Awerso

I'm trying to setup the product colors but it won't work for me...

How do I make something like http://demo.virtuemart.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6 ? From that view I want to "copy" the color choose.

From another demo view: http://demo.virtuemart.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=22&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8
I want to use this view for a couple of products where the amount in stock is important.

Using: 2.0.0-RC-2F / Joomla 1.7

cas

I am also trying to setup products with attributes with Joomla 1.7 & Virtuemart 1.9.8F, but cannot seem to get the Custom Fields to work properly.  I don't need inventory control or all the other features child products allows.  I just need simple attributes.  Besides, I have thousands of products, and each product could have a hundred different options, so creating child products is just not practical.  I just need the easiest way to create attributes and attach them to the products.  Some of the attributes need to be images with radio-button selection, and others just drop-down lists.  They need to have + - price adjustments.   Since I have so many products & attributes, I don't want to create the attributes over and over again for each product, so hopefully there is a way to create the attributes once and then attach them to the products as needed.  Here is a product page from the website I am trying to rewrite in Joomla:  http://www.designerdirectresource.com/shop/sofa-p-1931.html   Can this be done with Virtuemart 1.9.8F ?

Thanks,
Chuck

Milbo

Cas I think you mix up with stocking or not.

When you have stocking there is no other way than a child product. Why? because every real stock is a real product. When you have a lot variants without stocking, you dont need child products.

Quote from: cas on September 09, 2011, 08:57:42 AM
I just need the easiest way to create attributes and attach them to the products. .... I don't want to create the attributes over and over again for each product, so hopefully there is a way to create the attributes once and then attach them to the products as needed. 

The system works exactly that way, you define a custom field and you can reuse it for other products.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Hello Milbo,

Thanks for your fast reply!  To explain again, I do not need stocking levels, so I just tried to use the Custom Fields to define simple attributes, but they don't seem to be functioning properly on the site.  I'm sure it's just something I don't understand about how to setup Custom Fields properly, but I cannot find any documentation on setting up Custom Fields as drop-down and/or images.     

Maybe you can explain how to attach images to each Custom Field?  When I define the custom field as Image, I don't see any where to upload & attach the new image I want to use for that Custom Field.  In the product drop-down to pick the image for the custom field, it only has the main product image to pick from.  Where do I add the new image for that attribute?

For the attributes that I want in a simple drop-down list, I don't see how to do that.  When I added a couple of attributes as Custom Fields and picked List as the type of Custom Field, the attributes just display on the site as separate items and not in a drop-down.    How do I setup Custom Fields to display in a drop-down list?

Please take a look at this link to see the product options I need to setup:  http://www.designerdirectresource.com/shop/sofa-p-1931.html

Thanks,
Chuck

Awerso

Quote from: Milbo on September 09, 2011, 09:01:50 AM
When you have stocking there is no other way than a child product. Why? because every real stock is a real product. When you have a lot variants without stocking, you dont need child products.

The system works exactly that way, you define a custom field and you can reuse it for other products.

How does the variant without stocking work in Virtuemart 2? In virtuemart 1.19 you can edit it at the main product, in virtuemart 2 I don't see this option.

When doe you expect a documentation about the stocking variant? A page like: http://demo.virtuemart.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=22&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8 is important for my comping shop.

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Hi Milbo,

Yes, a manual would be great.  But for now can you just list the steps to add attributes to products using the new Custom Fields, similar to how attributes were added to products in previous VM versions with the Title & Property fields.  The main 2 types of attributes I need is an attribute with an image, and also for non-image attributes to display as a list of attributes in a drop-down as in previous VM versions.  Did you look at the link I sent in previous post so you can see exactly what I need to create?    I tried to get it to work, but I could not see how to upload and attach an image to each attribute, and I could not see how to get the non-image attributes to display in a drop-down list.   I think the new approach is much better because it separates the definition of attributes outside of the products so we can reuse the same attributes for multiple products, but now I just need to understand how to set them up.  Anything you can document here as far as the steps would be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks,
Chuck   

dimkoup

that would also be helpfull for me, thank you guys  :D

cas

Please, can anyone list the steps required to add attributes to products using the new Custom Fields as we did in the previous VM version.  Be sure to include how to set the price adjustments (+ -) per attribute, and have them listed in a drop-down on the frontend website.   I also see we can now have an image attached to an attribute, which is great news, so please include the steps to upload and attach an image to an attribute, and how to have a price adjustment (+ -) with the image attribute.   Also, how to group image attributes together so the customer can select one of these image attributes via radio button.  I gave it a try and got parts of it to work, but I need help to make it work completely.   I have thousands of products and each has almost a hundred attributes with images, so I want to get it right the first time, so please help list the steps to make it to work properly.   

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

Hi Shimi,

That link is for for osCommerce.  I don't need concepts about attributes.  That I fully understand.   I need specific steps that someone has successfully done with the new version of VM to get the new Custom Fields to work like the Attributes worked in the previous version of VM.  I tried to get it to work and either there are missing fields & functions in the user interface, or there is something I am doing wrong.  That's why I hope someone who really knows how it works can help us.

Regards,
Chuck

Milbo