News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

performance benchmark

Started by ew6014, August 14, 2010, 06:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ew6014

hi guys,

i am proposing a ecommerce site for one of my client. they have about 5000 products. i am not sure how many people might use once they go live. if lets say, at any one time at least 3000 people use the site, will it give issues? 

how about scalability? i read that joomla starts to give problems should more than 33k visit the site per day. will it work with cloud.(for scaling up and down)

also, at what point should i need to start looking at other ecommerce apps?

Joseph Kwan

I don't think there is a rigid answer for this. VM performance will depends on a number of factors. The bottleneck usually lies in the database server. Of course memory and resources in the web server is also critical.
Don't expect too much if you are on a shared hosting.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

ew6014

thank you for your reply.

im using hostgator and they do have limitations.

suppose if i put on a very powerful dedicated server. with lots of ram and cpu speed.   will virtuemart in itself able to handle loads like 1million visitors per hour. im taking into consideration that virtuemart is using mysql.

Joseph Kwan

Usually the major bottleneck is on the database. To be honest, Virtuemart (and Joomla as well) is not optimized in its database query. This is understandable as the projects aim for vast of different types of application.

And if you have million visitors per hour, you probably can hire lots of professionals to help you optimize the code.

Given sufficient resources, VM should be able to handle thousands of visitors without problem.

Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

ew6014

Quote from: Joseph Kwan on August 15, 2010, 00:49:58 AM
And if you have million visitors per hour, you probably can hire lots of professionals to help you optimize the code.

Given sufficient resources, VM should be able to handle thousands of visitors without problem.

so in your opinion, is virtuemart a good solution when it comes to 1 million visitors per hour?  will cloud computing work with virtuemart? or will i need to look at other solutions? if so, what other solutions can handle that much traffic

also, can one change the database to say for example, oracle to curb with this sorta issue?

Joseph Kwan

I am not a web hosting expert. Hosting a site with 1 million visitors per hour needs technology in that area.
If you plan for 1 million visitors, my suggestion is you start from scratch to build your own. Don't rely on a generic web application which cannot be optimized in order to cater for general needs. Joomla and VM database queries are no difference. This is not the problem of the database engine, but a development philosophy.

However, heavy traffic can be handled by a more powerful servers, load balancing, web farms etc. Creating a data tier with Oracle is possible but will depend on your actual requirement as welll.

Template Designer

In this case, magento may suit you most.
VirtueMart Templates gear up your sales...