News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Delayed Capture for Authorize.net orders

Started by Joeymad, July 14, 2010, 22:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeymad

Firstly, I apologize if this has already been answered and/or detailed. I have spent quite a few hours searching google and these forums for an answer and I have not come across a solution using Authorize.net payment processor. If the answer is simple, please accept my apologies.

The Credit Card payment module using Authorize.net (code AN) does not appear to have the ability to do a delayed capture.

What I want to happen is the following:

• customer puts items into cart, and checks out
  • credit card information is verified
  • order is created and email sent to admin
  • admin checks to see if items ordered are currently available
  • if everything is good, change order status to confirmed
  • customer's credit card is charged

This is what currently happens:
Note: Authentication type is set to AUTH_CAPTURE

• customer's credit card is charged
  • !!!! Problem: if the item is not available, the customer has already been charged.

There is one other option within the "AN" payment module in Virtuemart, and that is to set authentication type to AUTH_ONLY

• if everything is good, change order status to confirmed
  • log into authorize.net merchant account and manually "capture" the credit card, charging the customer the amount on the invoice

This method is too tedious for a large volume of transactions. I need an automated method built into Virtuemart to which it will delay the capture until the order status is changed to "confirmed".

Authorize.net clearly has the capability to do this, as I have found a page on authorize.net's developer page detailing the specifics of "Prior Authorization and Capture." Now it is just a matter of getting Virtuemart to incorporate this feature.

Joeymad

I have been sifting through the code and I have finally discovered that Virtuemart has this built in already. I should be able to set Authorize.net to AUTH_ONLY and when I change a "Pending" order to "Confirmed" it should capture the payment from Authorize.net. Why is it that this feature isn't documented?

Kalen

Very interesting...
I am looking in to this my self right now.