News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Shipping not charged for some products – free shipping

Started by allseason, October 05, 2009, 11:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allseason

Our client's site has some products that have shipping charges included in the price (or don't require shipping charges), whilst other products are normal and need to have shipping added. We are having difficulty removing the free shipping products from the shipping methods.

The normal shipping is based on order totals (shipvalue.) This method needs to stay in principle/ process.

We have tried adding a Standard Shipping Module and making weights heavy for the free shipping items. This worked until the customer buys a normal product and a free shipping product – then all the shipping is free.

We then tried making the free shipping products have no weight, and other products heavier. This almost worked, but the free shipping products were still having an effect on the shipvalue method. The free shipping products get added to the normal products and make the shipping more expensive if over a certain order total.

We then tried using the ship_product method which allows Shipping based on Product SKUs. We tried adding the free shipping products to this, but in the cart, it defaults to the shipvalue method but still shows the free option. This isn't too much of a problem, unless both types of product are added – and the free option still shows.

We have also tried Bob Bloom's Ship Bypass method (http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=39126.0). It almost works, but when only the free shipping items are in the cart, the shipping address phase isn't shown. But the products still need to be shipped – just not be charged for shipping.

Does anybody know:

• Some method we haven't tried?
  • How to hard-code remove the products, probably using SKUs, from shipping costs (we maintain the site for the client and the free shipping products won't change often, so it wouldn't be a massive problem)?
  • Alter Bob Bloom's Ship Bypass to not bypass the shipping address phase?

The site is built using VM 1.1.3, Joomla 1.5

Thanks in advance

Joseph Kwan

You will need a modified shipvalue module. You will need to check the products in cart before outputing the shipvalue shipping rate. PM me if you still need help.
Joomla/VM Upgrade Services. Problems with your migration? We can help.
Custom extensions to VM. Performance Tuning. Template modifications and advices.
Pay service to make VM work according to your needs. Your Joomla/VM solutions are just a PM away.

k043

I need the same solution. I have many different wholesalers and some has free shipping and some dont. It would be great if there was any good solution where you for example can select sku numbers for free shipping. Those products that have free shipping could also have a nice free shipping picture beside it.

Is there any solution for this?

PRO

you can do an if statement

set free shipping weights to 0.
this will make a display of something on the product page if the weight is 0
<?php if ($product_weight == '0') { ?>HTML_HERE<?php }

k043

Hi,

So if I understand this right i can just make a change to an existing shipment module and set free shipping to 0 (weight) and those products witch has free shipment i set with to 0 also.

Witch shipment module should it configure. Now im also using flex2shippment awesome addon that generate shipment cost for each product. But also need working function for those who has free shipment. Would be great if there was a way to set a nice icon/picture with those products who has free shipment so it looks nice to.

PRO

mimontego

Hello to you all, (i have Joomla 1.5.20 and vm 1.1.5)
For quite a while, I have been looking for a free virtuemart module/hack to give free shipping on some product at my online-shop, and the closest i got is this http://extensions.virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=136&Itemid=2 , the i have installed and tested the "Product SKU based Shipping Module" , i did test it for various product SKU and yes it works good for untill someone carts the free shipping product with a non free, If any one on this forum can fix it to remove this little hitch as the developers seem to have stopped responding to requests(However, I thank them for having produced it this far and best of all for free). It also needs a little more touch to make it show "Free shipping" on the products display page and / or in flypage as well as better way to delete or change stored sku in its database,
I greatly thank you in advance for all the assistance i can get on this issue as i am not good at coding (but i am sure there are many good ones in this forum).  

Marian0

I was wondering if anyone has been able to use this contribution (SKU based shipping rate) with Virtuemart 1.1.9. I installed it and I cannot get the correct sum for shipping and handling fees. It shows the correct shipping total when prompted to select a shipping method, but the order total is not modified.

Thanks for any help!

walter07

I have done this the following way: activate the standard shipping module. Create a shipping rate with weight range 0.0kg to 0.0kg and the rate $0 and give it a name like "free shipping " or so. Make sure you have the right postcode range, mine goes from 0 to 100000, also the products you would like to ship for free have to show 0.0kg weight in their product weight and dimensions. Bob's your uncle!
If you have activated the right modules it will show the free shipping as an option for items without weight only, at the checkout and the customer can tick this option. No hacks no nothing!

walter07

I forgot to mention that I am using the above mentioned together with a customised shipping module which calculates dimensions and weight and gets accurate shipping cost over an API from the freight company's website. If the product has no weight and dimensions then no shipping cost will be added for that product. If the customer only wants to buy the product with free shipping then the free shipping option becomes visible at the checkout. It works like a charm. If you use a freight company which offers this service then I recommend to spend a few dollars to get a customised shipping module made up by an experienced coder. It set me back a few hundred dollars but it is worth every cent.