News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Won't let other shipping mods work

Started by jkosick, January 28, 2010, 18:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkosick

I just instlled the newest version and it works ok but it will not let me select the other shipping options like fedex or usp. The radio button looks differnt in the usps compaired to the other buttons for fedex. Also since installing it my virtuemart backend has been a little strange. things are not layed out as they should be and everything loads slower and get jumbled sometimes.

lowmips

Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

jkosick

v5.2009.10.03.  It will not work with the other shippings that installed with VM 1.1.4. If I install the fedex mod 2.0.2010.01.02 with it they seems to work together.

But....it is causing all sorts of errors in VM. I can't update or change the product description. I have to manually refresh the page after every change I make in the shipping mods config. And overall the site is slower and has other misc. issues. Once I deleted the shipping mods and went back to the orignal files all was back to normal. 

lowmips

Are you sure you got all the SQL updates in?
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

jkosick

I tried to do the updates but it would not run some of them due an existing entry in the database from the usps sql update. I dropped the existing entry and updated the fedex sql update. Does that sound right? I am not very knowledgeable on the data base workings.

So if I upgrade the usps sql which went fine then how do I update the fedex and ups sql properly? Because it wont run the import in php my admin because of the exisiting entry created by the usps update.

lowmips

So you're using several of my updated modules? No wonder you're seeing so many issues.  They have not been designed to work together, which would result in some pretty bad behaviour if installed together.  I believe another user on the forums did spend time making them work together, perhaps he can assist.

See this post: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=58818.msg219727#msg219727

jkosick

ok, well that makes sense....I am not complaining, but why not make them all work together? I was only going to install the fedex mod, but it would not let me select the other shipping option on the old shipping mods. Not sure if it is my theme or template but for now I will stick with the old shipping mods. I will however do as you suggest and contact the person on the link you provided. Many Thanks.

lowmips

These modules were developed independently of one another (for the most part), and there has never been a major push for making them work all together.  There have been to date only 3 people that have even voiced a need for this ;).

The easiest way to make them all work together would be to aggregate them into one source tree instead of 3 individual ones, otherwise each time someone requests an update, I would have to replicate the changes among the 3 modules in order to make them work together.  With one big tree I could apply the changes to core files once, even if it only affects one shipping method.  The one big tree would then require more documentation to explain which features go with with shipping method, which isn't a bad thing really.  Alternatively, each time a feature is requested, I could give the requester an option of paying a bit more to add the feature for all shipping methods, not just the one they require. 

If more people show interest in this, and someone is willing to underwrite it, I'd be happy to merge all three sources into one.

-Reggie

Forrest

Ya, I have all three mods working on my site. The biggest chore was to combine the code for the core VM files.

After that, then there was just a confict in Classes. Where class.shipment and calls.package were called out twice, once for UPSv2 and once for FedExv2. Since these classes in fact have different functions, the easiest thing is to keep them separate, but go into the FedEx classes and rename them (inside the files/the actual class calls) to Shimpment1 and Package1 respectively. Then search in Shipment1, Package1, and Fedexv2.php for any calls to these classes where functions reside and change them to be Shimpment1 and Package1. There are only a few changes to make there.

I could shoot some files over if it helps, but as for combining the files for core replacements, I have very heavily hacked files, so sending those won't do much good.

Beware, even if you integrate the two, unless you hack the hack, things like Hazmat, ground-ship-only, and other settings DO NOT work for both shipping methods, as they were only designed for either FedEx or UPS, not both.

jkosick

Thank you for the information. I however don't think I am skilled enough to make all those changes. I really only need USPS for the most part and FEDEX on occasion. My current setup is ok for me. I may choose at a later date to underwrite the combination of the three when my site business picks up more. How much of a donation would be required for this Reggie?

lowmips

It would take several hours to combine and test.  I am willing to donate part of the time.  I could also use a "release to and support donators" system much like I did with FedExv2.

I just want to be sure this is the right way to go. Once they are combined, I will not want to split them back out again, nor do I want to support the combined version + individual versions.

Here's a poll, for anyone interested.

jkosick

How do I remove your upgrade to get back to the old USPS???? I have reinstalled VM but it still shows priority mail as flat rate and prices seem way to high.

Forrest

If you really uninstalled and reinstalled VM I wouldn't think his hack is the issue. Sounds like maybe you have flat rates setup under shipping menu?

jkosick

Because of all the setup of my VM I only have a full database backup that I had to restore, The problem is the SQL upgrade that comes with the shipping mod. It has changed something in the old usps shipping that give the wrong frontend label and wrong pricing. It is priority mail in the backend but Priority flat rat email in the front end. which is a completely different shipping option. I know it is a data base problem because it worked properly before the sql update for the new usps shipping mod.

lowmips

jkosick:
The SQL update that comes with my module does one thing.  It adds one field to the product table, which designates whether or not the product is bundled.  If you did a full database restore from a version of your database prior to installing my module, this field will no longer exist on your system.  This field is in no way shape or form tied to the service names in the front or back end.

As for the service names, those are defined in the usps.cfg.php file.  My module's are defined in uspsv5.cfg.php.   The old module and new module in no way use each other files. Be aware that USPS has changed their service names several times.  This may have bearing on the issue you are describing with the original USPS module.

Since you have restored a backup of your database, be sure to restore the backup of your VirtueMart files as well.  You will absolutely need to restore them or you will definitely have issues.

-Reggie