Author Topic: New Products & Categories Menu - J! Style, Suffix, Itemid, SSL, Cat Start, Hide  (Read 376325 times)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
[UPDATE] 03-31-2010 -> download v1.9

You may download the update from the first post of this thread.

lombiz

It works just great !

Thanks for taking the time to fix this error.

BR,
Peter

minou

• Beginner
hi :)
i like this mod very much but i have some problems since i completed inserting all my categories in vm (about 1800 categories)
i installed v1.8 and today v1.9 but i have still the same problem, that is when i activate the mod, sometimes i cant see the whole menu but only some categories, sometimes i can see part of the menu and a "<li" after the last item. Anyway, i cant see the graphic in the page and loading any page is too too slow, even if it's a page as term of use.
Maybe is there a limit on the number of categories?
I have the same problem both on IE and Firefox and if i use firebug i can see a
"505 server error" and sometimes a "301 Moved permanently" error.
Can you help me plz?

thanks in advance :)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Have you tried the default products category module that comes with VM? Is it much faster?

As for <li issues. I can only assume you have some funny characters in your category or product names that is throwing off my menu mod. I may be best if you PM me your URL.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Peter: Glad to help :)

minou

• Beginner
yes, the default is faster and with it the graphic is correct.
about funny characters i dont think so, else the menu would be interrupted always in the same point

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
PM me your site pls.

Fresher

• Beginner
THANK YOU. great support and mod :)

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
minou:

I'm not seeing any <li issues.

As for slowness, everything on your site is super slow to me, but I don't notice a speed issue directly related to the mod. Again, everything is super slow for me here (server response, image loading, etc), so it's hard to tell. Are you still seeing slow performance?

The only issue I see is when I tell the menu to ALWAYS show all menu items (all 1800 cats) in which, best I can tell, the server times or ends execution out after about 550-600 categories.

My concern is your server. Not to say my mod couldn't be improved code wise for better speed, because I know it can be. I will work to improve that over the coming weeks. But overall, this should not make a huge difference on a decent server. In comparison, it takes longer for me to list the categories on the back-end (admin) side of your site.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer

minou

• Beginner
so u think the matter is the server speed, right?

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
That is my guess. Again, my mod can improve on speed, as I know I pass variables unnecessary, and I will work to change that. But again, overall this should not make a big difference. If you drop me a PM attachment with a sql dump of your category tables I can test it on one of my servers as well to verify.

lombiz

This could be me missing something. but..........

Look at the attached category pic.

If I set start cat 14 it shows perfectly fine cat 14 and all subcats(6,12,11) but if I click a subcat it jumps back showing cat id# 8,2,1 again.
Am I missing something in the settings or is this a bug?

BR,
Peter

[attachment cleanup by admin]

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
Do you have caching on? Sounds like that page has cached an another menu setting.

I can't say I don't have a bug, but I have not seen anything this before.

@ALL: A new release is due this evening. Major code revisions to clean up unnecessary queries and redundant parameter passing. Check back in 12 hrs.

Forrest

• Me and my baby
    • Web Developer
[UPDATE] 04-02-2010 -> download v2.0
  • Major Update in Code; No alterations to available settings
  • Removed redundant processes (better performance)
  • Changed way code passing parameters (better performance)
  • Altered queries to find if subs exist (better performance)
  • Fix: Minor CSS fix with product items
  • Files modified: All Files Modified

Note: If you already have this module installed, you can just overwrite the old files with new ones so you don't lose your mod settings! In other words, you do not need to uninstall old mod and reinstall new one.

Note: Update download is available from fist page/ first post of this thread.

Lombiz: see if this new update helps?
Minou: While I haven't checked your category list on my server, this update will help.