Author Topic: Home Improvement Hardware On-Line Store Wish List  (Read 8024 times)

dhdtv

• Beginner
Home Improvement Hardware On-Line Store Wish List
« on: November 07, 2005, 05:44:35 am »
Hi,

I have a home improvement hardware site and store at http://www.joneakes.com

The store features a varied list of products.  The website features various articles, newsletters and an information database with 2000 records and 3000 images/animations.

I want to use Joomla/VirtureMart.  Joomla looks great.  It's the store side, which we're still evaluating.

Home improvement articles can be anything from books to videos to clothing to tools to liquids to solids to gases to building materials to ad nauseum.  In other words, when trying to sell home improvement items in an on-line store, you're pretty much going to go up against every challenge in the on-line store universe, that's possible to go up against, and then some!

For whatever it's worth here is my partial wish list.  I hope it helps you by triggering your imagination and ideas that may work not only for my type of products but for those of other products as well.  Take a deep breath, get a coffee...

1) Be able to charge both province/state & federal taxes based on shipping destinations.  Out of province/state sales require only federal taxes.  Taxes must be able to be calculated as either a tax on a tax or separately and then added to total.  Taxes should be able to be toggled on/off on a per tax, per product basis as not all territories charge tax on same products e.g. books.
2)  Have both taxes show up as separate line items on all invoices.
3)  Be able to export all sales record information collected, especially taxes, in separate columns or rows, to an Excel file for various bookkeeping / accounting software.
4)  Be able to display all products in at least two currencies at same time (e.g. Euro & USD or USD & CAD, etc.).
5)  Be able to display various shipping module query returns in whatever currency is selected regardless of base currency.  e.g. Base currency is CAD but a US customer has selected "Display products in USD and so if shipping from Canada to USA, various shipping modules will return shipping queries in CAD which then needs to be translated into USD before displaying order totals to the US customer.  Same for all foreign customer purchases regardless of what country you're based in and what base currency you select.
6)  Be able to have separate admin user access so that warehouse (fulfillment center) can see only pertinent sales order information, be able to print packing slip (essentially an invoice without pricing) and be able to change order status from pending to processed to shipped.
7)  Be able to charge in at least two separate currencies having respective funds deposited into respective currency merchant bank accounts.
8)  If two carts are required to accommodate two currencies, be able to have both carts' inventory synchronised so that when a sale is made in either currency/cart, it is deducted from the master inventory.
9)  Be able to install any information, content, images, etc., only once and have it appear in both currency/carts.
10) Be able to display all navigation in multiple languages.
11) Have both multiple dimensions and multiple weights per product page.  Some items, e.g. pipe wrenches, may vary in length from 10" to 36", so not only does this variance require a completely different package size but these different package sizes, as well as completely different weights, will increase shipping costs dramatically.  Preferred to have one product page selling pipe wrenches with a drop down list to select the various sizes required and have those selections add the correct weight and dimensions of the selected item into the cart for accurate shipping query returns as well as accurate box size choices made by some 3rd party shipping modules.
12)  Have cart to be suitable for call centers to use in cases where telephone sales are handled by a call center.  Requires a separate area viewed only by call center where a sales script asks various questions to guide the customer through the purchase ensuring an unknowledgeable call center agent asks all the right questions and gets all the required details on a per product basis to reduce customer returns and increase customer satisfaction.  Also enables companies to sell using non-experienced personnel, as it would be too costly to have home improvement technical experts spend all day answering phone sales.
13)  Have desired countries appear at top of country list on customer shipping address page, thus making easier selection for majority of a store's customers.
14)  Have sophisticated dashboard interface to be able to perform all variables of possible searches of customer database and sales records.
15)  Be able to have handling charge displayed separately from shipping charge on all invoices and in carts.
16)  Be able to have links from information content databases to individual store product pages and vice versa.
17)  Have downloadable gift certificates and discount coupons with individual serial numbers and redeemable on-line
18)  Have built in live stats from Web Trends or any other reputable statistical analyzer
19)  Have export feature also provide Excel file format and not just txt and csv
20)  Customer list management for e-mailings, mailings, promotions, etc.
21)  Built-in VirtueMart backup shipping module, which only appears if 3rd party shipping servers go down.
22)  Inclusion of 3rd party order tracking systems

etc.

Some of the above may already be incorporated into VirtueMart such as the moveable country list but features such as multiple currencies, variable weight & dimensions per product page and export to Excel files I'm sure would be very popular improvements to an already very interesting OS solution.  Thanks for taking the time to consider my suggestions and best of luck.

David

Emerald10

• Beginner
Re: Home Improvement Hardware On-Line Store Wish List
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 05:02:20 am »
Hi,

I have a home improvement hardware site and store at http://www.joneakes.com

The store features a varied list of products.  The website features various articles, newsletters and an information database with 2000 records and 3000 images/animations.

I want to use Joomla/VirtureMart.  Joomla looks great.  It's the store side, which we're still evaluating.

Home improvement articles can be anything from books to videos to clothing to tools to liquids to solids to gases to building materials to ad nauseum.  In other words, when trying to sell home improvement items in an on-line store, you're pretty much going to go up against every challenge in the on-line store universe, that's possible to go up against, and then some!

For whatever it's worth here is my partial wish list.  I hope it helps you by triggering your imagination and ideas that may work not only for my type of products but for those of other products as well.  Take a deep breath, get a coffee...

1) Be able to charge both province/state & federal taxes based on shipping destinations.  Out of province/state sales require only federal taxes.  Taxes must be able to be calculated as either a tax on a tax or separately and then added to total.  Taxes should be able to be toggled on/off on a per tax, per product basis as not all territories charge tax on same products e.g. books.
2)  Have both taxes show up as separate line items on all invoices.
3)  Be able to export all sales record information collected, especially taxes, in separate columns or rows, to an Excel file for various bookkeeping / accounting software.
4)  Be able to display all products in at least two currencies at same time (e.g. Euro & USD or USD & CAD, etc.).
5)  Be able to display various shipping module query returns in whatever currency is selected regardless of base currency.  e.g. Base currency is CAD but a US customer has selected "Display products in USD and so if shipping from Canada to USA, various shipping modules will return shipping queries in CAD which then needs to be translated into USD before displaying order totals to the US customer.  Same for all foreign customer purchases regardless of what country you're based in and what base currency you select.
6)  Be able to have separate admin user access so that warehouse (fulfillment center) can see only pertinent sales order information, be able to print packing slip (essentially an invoice without pricing) and be able to change order status from pending to processed to shipped.
7)  Be able to charge in at least two separate currencies having respective funds deposited into respective currency merchant bank accounts.
8)  If two carts are required to accommodate two currencies, be able to have both carts' inventory synchronised so that when a sale is made in either currency/cart, it is deducted from the master inventory.
9)  Be able to install any information, content, images, etc., only once and have it appear in both currency/carts.
10) Be able to display all navigation in multiple languages.
11) Have both multiple dimensions and multiple weights per product page.  Some items, e.g. pipe wrenches, may vary in length from 10" to 36", so not only does this variance require a completely different package size but these different package sizes, as well as completely different weights, will increase shipping costs dramatically.  Preferred to have one product page selling pipe wrenches with a drop down list to select the various sizes required and have those selections add the correct weight and dimensions of the selected item into the cart for accurate shipping query returns as well as accurate box size choices made by some 3rd party shipping modules.
12)  Have cart to be suitable for call centers to use in cases where telephone sales are handled by a call center.  Requires a separate area viewed only by call center where a sales script asks various questions to guide the customer through the purchase ensuring an unknowledgeable call center agent asks all the right questions and gets all the required details on a per product basis to reduce customer returns and increase customer satisfaction.  Also enables companies to sell using non-experienced personnel, as it would be too costly to have home improvement technical experts spend all day answering phone sales.
13)  Have desired countries appear at top of country list on customer shipping address page, thus making easier selection for majority of a store's customers.
14)  Have sophisticated dashboard interface to be able to perform all variables of possible searches of customer database and sales records.
15)  Be able to have handling charge displayed separately from shipping charge on all invoices and in carts.
16)  Be able to have links from information content databases to individual store product pages and vice versa.
17)  Have downloadable gift certificates and discount coupons with individual serial numbers and redeemable on-line
18)  Have built in live stats from Web Trends or any other reputable statistical analyzer
19)  Have export feature also provide Excel file format and not just txt and csv
20)  Customer list management for e-mailings, mailings, promotions, etc.
21)  Built-in VirtueMart backup shipping module, which only appears if 3rd party shipping servers go down.
22)  Inclusion of 3rd party order tracking systems

etc.

Some of the above may already be incorporated into VirtueMart such as the moveable country list but features such as multiple currencies, variable weight & dimensions per product page and export to Excel files I'm sure would be very popular improvements to an already very interesting OS solution.  Thanks for taking the time to consider my suggestions and best of luck.

David
It says here that when trying to sell home improvement items in an on-line store, you're pretty much going to go up against every challenge in the on-line store universe, that's possible to go up against, and then some and I am agree on it.

Markylane

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:54 am »
          I agree one of the best you get an application is Joomla.

luckystar09

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:36:47 am »
Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.
comparatif simulation pret personnel en ligne taux credit[/color] Faire un pret immobilier en ligne avec un bon creditcomparatif simulation pret personnel en ligne taux credit[/color]

mikulasring

• Beginner
    • red ring of death fix
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 14:24:03 pm »

I would say that some of these wishes are really great.
I am working on the Rrod fix guide.