News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

UPS Rates are Wrong AND won't calculate above 80 lbs.

Started by rinny, November 03, 2008, 14:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rinny

-Tried all of the fixes from the forums on my UPS.php and NONE corrected the above 80 lbs. shipping problem.

-Had to add about 18 lbs. to each item to get the UPS rates to get somewhere close to what they should be.

-Tried to add shipping rates for orders above 80 LBS. so they could take over where UPS leaves off, but the jacked up weights hinder this from happening properly, not to mention the $0.00 amounts still show when the order goes above 80 lbs. and this looks incredibly sloppy.

I am so pissed off at this module now it's not funny.  Have 2 people working on it and even the owner of our local UPS Store is fed up with it and said he's going to warn people before they use this.  Even looking for outside help through freelancer sites and pretty much everyone responding so far says they don't think they can solve this.  Why have I gotten sucked into this black hole?!

Now to add insult to injury I've been adding shipping rates in by hand directly from the UPS retail rate chart, and it's doubling the total shipping cost upon checkout.  I'm so ready to ditch virtuemart right now.  This is our third project in this software and it keeps getting harder, not easier.

lowmips

Quote from: rinny on November 03, 2008, 14:10:41 PM
-Had to add about 18 lbs. to each item to get the UPS rates to get somewhere close to what they should be.

Are these items that are shipped individually? If so, the rates are wrong because all the weights are added and queried together in the original UPS module. See my UPS2.0 post for the fix for this.

If that isn't the problem, can you go into more detail about the rate issue? I've been using UPS for some time now and the queried rates are spot on for me.  My packages are generally 6-15 lbs each.

-Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

rinny

Reggie,

Thank you so much for your response.  I will try to provide information so I can get to the bottom of this, I don't want to leave this entire module in the dust.

My client ships some items individually (i.e. a box of adhesive that is approx. 53. lbs.) and some items are bundled together.  I have been working directly with our local UPS Store, which my client ships through, to replicate orders he had shipped in the past to see if the weight adds up and shipping tallies correctly.

All of my weights thus far have been spot on, whether the packages were broken up or in one box.  We compensated for packaging pretty accurately.  I did find a few fixes in the forums for both this problem and the "won't calculate over 80 lbs." problem; nothing has worked.

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.  Let me know if more info is needed to determine possible causes.  Thanks in advance for helping me, I'm just a poor graphic designer who someone stuck a web design hat on... ;_;

lowmips

Ah, sounds like you had the same problem as I did with bundled and unbundled items . Did you try the UPSv2.0 module I wrote?  It retrieves a more accurate shipping rate for bundled+unbundled items in the same cart.  Hopefully it can take care of any "weight compensation" issues you're having.  It does not do anything about the +80lb issue though.  I had no reason to solve that for my website, but maybe I can give it a try when I get some time.  Can you provide me with some real world weights/zip code/rates to play with?
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

rinny

I am not sure what my fiancee did, but he seemed to have fixed the module!  Shipping is now calculating correctly again (still testing so don't want to make assumptions too quickly).

Now my problems are calculating 70+ LBS.  I can do that through shipping rates, but then all of the UPS Module rates still show.

Is there any way to hide UPS Online Tools rates above 70 LBS?

lowmips

see attachment for a slightly modified version of my UPSv2.0 module.
see lines below comment labeled "// Added for rinny" to see the new code.

Instead of skipping anything 150lb+, it skips anything 70lb+.

Hope this helps,
Reggie

Update: modified the attachment..had a typo. *sheepish grin*

[attachment cleanup by admin]

rinny

Ok Reggie-

I think we are getting on the right track.  I have installed UPS v2.0 and went through and marked all of my larger items (well, anything 20 LBS+) as "Ships Separately".  This is to send separate queries to UPS for shipping costs.  It is a great feature, I just believe I might need to increase my understanding of how it works.

I tested an order first without the code changes you attached above.  I assembled an order made solely out of products I had marked as "Ships Separately", thinking it would send each product weight to UPS, gather a cost and send back to virtuemart.  None of these products are over 70 LBS. in and of themselves.

I was instead still given a shipping cost of $0.00.  I did everything listed in the Readme file; is there anything else I could've done wrong or am I using v2.0 improperly?

lowmips

rinny,
I have a feeling that the total weight of all items in the cart are probably greater than 70 lbs.  VM still assumes all items are shipped together, and still passes a variable to the shipping modules with that weight.  Can you please turn on debugging mode and see if it is exiting the UPS module due to the weight being above 70 lbs?  I never did "fix" that code to check each shipment individually, but if it is the problem I can look into it.  I have to leave the VM code that assumes all items ship together alone so other shipping modules will behave as expected, but in my UPS and USPS modules I can fix the problem there.

-Reggie

rinny

Debug: Using existing Session b759d7f14fa27e19126174620e90a743, ID: 84f808f72aa2acaa0c4e839c04972d04.

Debug: The Shipping Module 'standard_shipping' couldn't
find a Shipping Rate that matches the current Checkout configuration:
Weight: 239
ZIP: 48317

My lovely XML results:
<?xml version="1.0"?><RatingServiceSelectionResponse><Response><TransactionReference><CustomerContext>Shipping Estimate</CustomerContext><XpciVersion>1.0001</XpciVersion></TransactionReference><ResponseStatusCode>1</ResponseStatusCode><ResponseStatusDescription>Success</ResponseStatusDescription></Response><RatedShipment><Service><Code>03</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Additional Handling has automatically been set on Package 1.</RatedShipmentWarning><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>99.33</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>107.33</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery></GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime></ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>99.33</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>107.33</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>150.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>12</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Additional Handling has automatically been set on Package 1.</RatedShipmentWarning><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>131.33</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>139.33</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>3</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime></ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>131.33</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>139.33</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>150.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>59</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Additional Handling has automatically been set on Package 1.</RatedShipmentWarning><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>199.62</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>207.62</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>2</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime>10:30 A.M.</ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>199.62</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>207.62</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>150.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>02</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Additional Handling has automatically been set on Package 1.</RatedShipmentWarning><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>171.93</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>179.93</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>2</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime></ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>171.93</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>179.93</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>150.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>13</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Additional Handling has automatically been set on Package 1.</RatedShipmentWarning><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>258.03</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>266.03</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>1</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime>3:00 P.M.</ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>258.03</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>266.03</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>150.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>14</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Additional Handling has automatically been set on Package 1.</RatedShipmentWarning><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>337.51</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>345.51</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>1</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime>8:30 A.M.</ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>337.51</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>345.51</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>150.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment><RatedShipment><Service><Code>01</Code></Service><RatedShipmentWarning>Additional Handling has automatically been set on Package 1.</RatedShipmentWarning><RatedShipmentWarning>Your invoice may vary from the displayed reference rates</RatedShipmentWarning><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>300.88</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>308.88</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><GuaranteedDaysToDelivery>1</GuaranteedDaysToDelivery><ScheduledDeliveryTime>10:30 A.M.</ScheduledDeliveryTime><RatedPackage><TransportationCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>300.88</MonetaryValue></TransportationCharges><ServiceOptionsCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>8.00</MonetaryValue></ServiceOptionsCharges><TotalCharges><CurrencyCode>USD</CurrencyCode><MonetaryValue>308.88</MonetaryValue></TotalCharges><Weight>150.0</Weight><BillingWeight><UnitOfMeasurement><Code>LBS</Code></UnitOfMeasurement><Weight>150.0</Weight></BillingWeight></RatedPackage></RatedShipment></RatingServiceSelectionResponse>

rinny

Wish I knew more about PHP right about now....

I found out that I didn't have the UPS v2.0 module checked in my config.  Should I  have that one checked and the standard UPS module unchecked?

Also, when I did check it (leaving the original one checked as well) and tested checkout, the following code appeared where shipping costs should be calculating:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/content/m/o/i/moiikdotcom/html/products/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/classes/shipping/upsv2.php on line 48

lowmips

rinny,
I did not test that code before uploading it, and of course I had a typo in it. It should work now.

Sorry about that.
-Reggie

rinny

Ok, so, my fiancee doesn't know exactly what he did but now the shipping is correct for ground, 2nd day and next day for all shipments (unless it passes 150 lbs, at which point we post a notice that shipping will be invoiced separately).

If I ever figure out precisely what happened to make this possible I'll post it on here.  But for now my issue seems to be resolved.  Now we just need to work on getting this thing to work for orders of over 150 lbs. where no single package IS over 150 lbs. itself...

lowmips

Rinny,
Try the latest UPSv2.0 module. I added that functionality yesterday.

Reggie

rinny

Sweet!  I didn't put two and two together with that update.  My apologies.  I'll give it a thorough testing ASAP (meaning after lunchtime!) :)

SA_Chick

I can't wait to see how this turns out, and if you get the "over 80 lbs" thing licked. We ship diesel exhaust systems, which are anywhere from 75lbs to 125lbs, and today someone bought a system and it charged them $3.00 for shipping, which is our handling fee for the systems.

I will be watching to see if anything gets resolved.

At least I am not the only one running into this problem...

Let me know if I can help!
~*~Jodi M. aka SA_Chick~*~
www.SourceAutomotive.biz
Running: Joomla 1.0.15 & Virtuemart 1.1.2