Virtuemart Backup.

Started by dreynolds20, August 10, 2008, 10:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenkinhill

Akeeba will make a complete archive copy of a site exactly as it is in at the time the archive is made. It can be moved or restored to the same or another server and will be an excact copy of files, database etc..

I really don't understand why people don't install this automatically as the first component on any new Joomla site.
https://www.akeebabackup.com/software/akeeba-backup.html
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Iamjim

Hi Kelvyn, and again thanks for trying to help;;

re: It can be moved or restored to the same or another server and will be an excact copy of files, database etc..

That's the problem with what I am dealing with...In fact, it is for someone else who's paid other people to "screw things up" for lack of better words...yet i have not gotten a cent for my time yet...

1)  The present site is broke BAD... so backing up a DEAD HORSE to me does not make sense.

2)  There are already 3,xxx items and images she has entered...while someone else who was really indontrol of the site (way before I got involved).. Well, during a template modding...and who knows what else...could have corrputed what we know works "out of the box"

Something got seriously broken in this thing...and I took the steps to redo a core 1.5.22 and VM 1.6x etc..and I

a) Did a MySQL backup of her data...then I trashed any jos_ that not have jos_vm and then imported all of that

b) Then, it was like 750+ meg of images...that on her cheap hosting I had to FTP and it kept disconnecting.. Sad part is, they don't allow SSH so I could not simply have went in and zipped them up first..

c) It still did not work, so I trashed the new site....but I see that it was possibly the other file set mentioned that I might not have migrated...in order to see if it worked..

Does this make sense as to what I have done so far?

I just downloaded the Akeeba Admin and Backup...and I see new release dates as of today?

Will it work on 1.5.22?

And again, if I close a broken site...it's gonna be broke...<smile??>

I just need data-products, images...and I'll have to back up in this thread to see what folder I needed also and start over?

Is there anything else I am forgetting that I need to do please?

Regards, Jim

jenkinhill

A broken site will usually have all order/category/product/user data in the database and images in the relevant directories. So I would first make a full file backup with ftp as well as a database dump and an Akeeba archive (so I have all the data in formats I can work with).

Then I'd try CSVimproved first in such a case to if CSVI can provide a full product etc backup, which together with the image files could be used to recreate the site on a new Joomla/VM installation.  If not then I'd use the db dump to try to recreate a working site with products etc.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Iamjim

Thanks agai... and I had been here: http://www.csvimproved.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=sections&Itemid=147

But was insure which one to get/try...

Enviroment she "has" is 1.5.22 / VM 1.6 something.

(and not worried about this one below)
But, I also have tossed up a 1.7.3 & VM2x and done nothing with as of yet..

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
6+9-8:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview