News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

[RESOLVED] Shopper Registration Error

Started by drmk, March 21, 2008, 11:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmk

hello everyone
My virtuemart is looking great but then when i try to register a new shopper i get the following error-

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in C:\Domains\dentalguru.in\SubDomains\gurumall\administrator\components\com_virtuemart\classes\ps_shopper.php on line 542

j-1.5, vm-1.1rc1
what could lbe the possible reason and solution
thanking you in anticipation
DR MK Pillai

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

drmk

thanks jenkinhill,
Last time around I did just you had told. I had to uninstall the entire Joomla and the start all over again.
but this time i have a lot of data so i will get back as soon as i put up the latest version
i wanted to know what is the reason and what is the possible solution.
in fact such bugs should be isolated and sorted out individually for more robust stable version later.
That is the reason why i chose this forum ,anyways Thanks a million - for your keen interest and prompt response.
i will upgrade and then get back
bye
DR PILLAi

aravot

VirtueMart 1.1 is still in development and is not meant for production site, furthermore I can not duplicate the error in the latest build of VirtueMart 1.1

drmk

hi aravot,
this is the first time you have posted for my query -Thank you so much( I am youradmirerand soerens too - regularly check your form nightly builds -and a few others)
I did mention i was using rc1 downloaded from your 1.1 nightly builds around  a month or so back.
Further i downloaded the latest nightly build VM_1.1-19th march from your forum and installed the same- as usual and all the modules also.
My whole site crashed -error 4
Now i am restoring from back up once done-
is it possible for you to log on if i give you the id
thanks

aravot

I am flattered, I do try to reply to all post if Joomla and VirtueMart version is mentioned (ignored if not, even if I know the answer), but time is what I don't have enough, as for your request I would look ONLY if it is a new installation, I understand that you might have your site already build but as mentioned many time VM 1.1 is in development and is not meant for production site, I don't have time to go through the files to find the problem for an old installation.

drmk

Hi Aravot,
i have reinstalled Vm-
19 March 2008
VirtueMart 1.1 revision 1320 Complete Package -> Download
now there are two problems-
-product image thumbnails dont show
-Horizontal product categories - breadcrumbs dont show in FF while they show in IE-7
- main problem continues on trying to register new shopper
Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in C:\Domains\dentalguru.in\SubDomains\gurumall\administrator\components\com_virtuemart\classes\ps_shopper.php on line 542

-
http://www.gurumall.dentalguru.in/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.registration&Itemid=1

is the link
It is a new installation and how do i give you access to the files?- backend-
or do you want to see any specific directory/files..
thanking you in anticiption
Dr MK Pillai

aravot

There is something wrong with your Joomla installation, clicking on top menus (features, news, ...) gives error. I am busy all of this week, hopefully someone will be able to help you, otherwise first week of April.

Please write your server info too, as I can not reproduce your issue, I just installed for a client, it works fine without tweaking anything.

drmk

hi
thanks again
dont worry about top menu -the links are pending page construction-  so cut off deliberatly
its only the shopper registration
we are on windows server.helm-4 cp.
line-542 is--
// Bind the post array to the user object
      if (!$user->bind( JRequest::get('post'), 'usertype' )) {
         JError::raiseError( 500, $user->getError());
      }
if i remove this part of code and try to register- i get the error- pl enter your name
now i replace this file wiht that of vm-1.0.13 older version then it works fine as far as the registration is concerned- it runs ok
so it may not be joomla
another reason is this is happening only following VM upgrade not at the very first installation- so again joomla is not the culprit
thanking you
Dr MK PILLai

drmk

Hi  aravot/ all good samaritans,
i have done all that is possible from my end .
I deleted my entire virtue mart. joomla . and database,
now using j1.5.2,vm-1.1 rc2 from you forum- nightly builds- 26 th march
still i get a registration message-

could it be that I am on a windows server

i am not a software professional
jpl help
thanking you in anticipaton
DR MK

drmk

RESOLVED- WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY
here is  a good example of a maxillofacial surgeon becoming an expert programmer
changed the line  ps_shopper-542 to-
// Bind the post array to the user object
      if (!$user->bind($foo= JRequest::get('post'), 'usertype' )) {
         JError::raiseError( 500, $user->getError());
$foo function creates a variable reference as the problem was -because it sounds like PHP is forcing the argument to be a variable, and maybe it is treating the results of the function as the string  instead of a variable.
Any was i feel elated
Thanks to every one , special thanks to ARAVOT