News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtuemart Data Migration from 1.0.* to 1.5.*

Started by steve1084, March 27, 2008, 14:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlight

Quote from: aravot on April 25, 2008, 17:58:16 PM
That is a Joomla question to be 100% it is better to ask in their forum, I have not yet updated a site from Joomla 1.0.x to Joomla 1.5 so not sure of side effects.
Make sure you BACKUP before proceeding.
It's not really a Joomla question, because migrating Joomla is easily doable by moving the database over. Virtuemart puts its own tables in, which Joomla will ignore if not migrated properly. So it's up to the developers to come up with a way for us to do that. Thanks in advance, developers! ;)

Vinh

Hi guys,
I just tried to migrate from VM1.0.2 -> VM1.1 and at the same time migrate to Joomla 1.5 and it was rather a desaster...

the VM transition is really quite simple, getting VM1.1 to run was no problem. You just have to be aware that the templating system changed so if you have modified something in your browse or flypages (and I'm sure you did), you have to manually change that to the new structure (e.g. no all data is now directly derived from php variables instead of "{product_or_whatever}"). I haven't done it, but it looks rather painless in my case - at least I could see my old shop in VM1.1, just here and there needing some fix and all.

The transition to Joomla 1.5 was hell. =D
First, there is no migration script for VM as far as I know (might be wrong), so you have to kind of migrate manually. What I did was to have the database backed up during the joomla installation (They rename the tables to "bak_..."). After that, I reinstalled Virtuemart 1.1 directly onto the new and fresh Joomla 1.5 (you cannot use your old joomla as the internal structure has changed). Then I wrote a small script to rename all bak_vm_** back to jos_vm_**

Well, the biggest problem and the reason why I'm now switching back to the previous Joomla installation is:

1) My template needs to again be adapted to Joomla 1.5. I think they have a new structure too. So at least for my template, it didn't work at all in the new Joomla.

2) I don't need a new fancy Joomla. The only reason I have Joomla is because Virtuemart runs on it, I'm actually just using VM anyways   =)

Yep...just wanted to share my small "night" experience.

pablo0713

I was able to migrate from Virtuemart/Joomla 1.1/1.0.15 to 1.1/1.5 without too many hiccups. I'm a newb at such things, but was able to figure it out from reading this thread (so thank you!!!). Basically this is what I did:

1. Backed up web site.
2. Upgraded Virtuemart to the latest version.
3. Ran Migration tool for Joomla for SQL data dump.
4. Used phpMyAdmin to export the _vm tables for virtuemart.
5. Installed Joomla 1.5 in a new folder.
6. Imported Joomla data from SQL data dump.
7. Installed Virtuemart 1.1.
8. Deleted new _vm tables in phpMyAdmin.
9. Imported previous _vm tables in phpMyAdmin
10. Renamed tables to match the database prefix.
11. Uploaded images to the /shop_image/product directory.

My biggest hurdle was having to deal with file permissions and not being able to write to certain folders. All it took were a couple of emails to my web hosting tech support, they reset permissions, and I was good to go.

Obviously, I need to redo all templates - but the catalog is functional. Although, I am noticing some missing product images...but not too many. If I can't figure out why this is happening, I can always upload them again.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but feel free to ask me questions as I've spent a good day trying to migrate/upgrade Joomla and Virtuemart so it is fresh in my head! I'm no expert but I'll do my best to help.

graham

Hi I have tried what you have said to the letter and when it goes to import the Imported Joomla data from SQL data dump. I just get errors, I have also had my tec team try this and the same thing happened to them.
anyone esle running into this problem or have found a way round this????

pablo0713

Quote from: graham on April 30, 2008, 14:54:36 PM
Hi I have tried what you have said to the letter and when it goes to import the Imported Joomla data from SQL data dump. I just get errors, I have also had my tec team try this and the same thing happened to them.
anyone esle running into this problem or have found a way round this????
I did not experience any errors during the importing process of the Joomla SQL dump. It was an option during the installation process so it went smoothly for me.

What sort of error messages are you receiving? Perhaps I or someone else can help if we know what kind of errors are occurring.

gwilym

Hi there,

I have just followed the excellent advice above and have everything smoothly into 1.5 - the only problem I have is that the product detail pages are not showing up. They are there because I can see the SQL and in the menu and in the 'latest products' module etc they are all there - but when you click on a product there is no product info.

Is this a flypage problem? Any advice appreciated...

Gwilym

BTW - I've tried different templates but that makes no diference...

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

pablo0713

Quote from: gwilym on May 20, 2008, 13:24:42 PM
Hi there,
I have just followed the excellent advice above and have everything smoothly into 1.5 - the only problem I have is that the product detail pages are not showing up. They are there because I can see the SQL and in the menu and in the 'latest products' module etc they are all there - but when you click on a product there is no product info.
Is this a flypage problem? Any advice appreciated...
Gwilym
BTW - I've tried different templates but that makes no diference...
Not sure if you solved your problem, but try turning off SEF links (under SEO section of Joomla global config). I had this same problem and thanks to the advice by Jenkinhill, turning off SEF links fixed my product detail pages (which also weren't showing up)