News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Frontpage/Default page with different template issues

Started by Martina L, February 05, 2008, 05:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martina L

I have a default template for my whole site, including all Virtuemart pages and then a different template for the sites Homepage/default page.

This all works perfectly fine accept for when I click next between "Shipping Address" and "Shipping Method" then site then switches to use teh template I have only set for the Homepage.

My main template is set as the default. I have assigned the homepage one to a menu item called Home which is the frontpage/Joomla Default page

I am using Joomla 1.5

jenkinhill

If you are using VirtueMart 1.0.x then that is not compatible with Joomla 1.5.

http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=263&Itemid=57

If you are using VM1.1. beta then please report bugs on the Quality & Testing forum
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?board=61.0
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Martina L

Just wondering if anyone had found a solution to this issue yet?

unleash.it

This is probably related to a problem I was having. I use Joomla 1.5 and VM 1.1 and I don't know what happens when you try other combinations, but on certain VM pages the Joomla framework is led to believe it is on the "frontpage" when it isn't. See this thread:

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=34989.0

It happens during some the checkout process and if you delete/update items in the shopping cart.

I was trying to code my theme changes via PHP and it's interesting to find out that the same problem occurs when you try to use different themes in the Joomla theme manager. If you read my last post, I did figure out a workaround...but it's definitely a hack and you'd have to do your theme changes with IF statements in your template.

Any new thoughts on this anyone? There may only be a few of us who care right now, but I think as VM becomes more popular more people will notice this.

Martina L

Just to confirm I am also using Joomla 1.5 and VM 1.1

jenkinhill

Barrie North from Joomlashack has steted that there are issues with template assignation in J1.5 - so there may be other difficulties with template switching.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

unleash.it

Thanks you guys for your input on this. Even though I've not had any trouble with Joomla (without VM installed ) in this department, it makes sense that the problem might be Joomla 1.5 related...possibly in how the router interacts with 3rd party components. It seems directly connected to URLs, because the URL suddenly turns to the root url at odd times...and this is exactly when the problem occurs.

Maybe at some point I'll have time to test  with the old Joomla, but I've been with J1.5 since RC1 and haven't even looked at 1.0x for over a year...

Jenkinhill, I'll check out what Barrie says. Barrie is where I really learned how to make a Joomla template (his killer 1.5 tutorial) and I know he's going to be a good source for those issues.