News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Removing shipping cost from a product

Started by enolbos, October 12, 2006, 22:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enolbos

Good afternoon,
I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable shipping cost on products?  I have a site full of tangible products.  But, one is a downloadable and doesn't need shipping costs.  The others do.  So, I need to know how to turn this off for only one product.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Brian

LongBranchAssociates

The 'out of the box' configurations only allow either Physical products that require a shipping method or downloadable products that obviously do not require a shipping method.  There appears to be no standard configuration to apply different options to different categories

Perhaps someone has a hack that works
lba-tech.com::VirtueMart eCommerce Online Stores for Small and Medium size businesses

HulaQueen

When you set up your shipping rates you can do one for 0.000 weight products. Set the rate to $0.00. We do that for products we sell that are not downloads and it works great. We just use the standard shipping module, and have configures two sets of rates:

One for our country, with a couple of rates (0.00, 0.001-.1kg, .1001-1.0 kg etc). Then one where we have selected ALL other countries, with a title of "We will send you a quote on shipping for approval after your order". We can send anywhere in the world, however I do not want to set up valid numbers for everywhere!

That works for us, and does allow non downloaded products to be set up with 0.00 shipping.

Cheers,
Hula

LongBranchAssociates

Just to confirm what you are saying

You use the Standard Shipping functionality
Admin > configuration > downloads > Enable Downloads > enabled
Down-loadable products set to weight 0.0000 and other products set to weight > 0.0000
This enables shippable products to operate normally, displays the Dowloads link and allows the download functionality to operate as standard for products with weight = 0.0000

Is this correct?
lba-tech.com::VirtueMart eCommerce Online Stores for Small and Medium size businesses

HulaQueen

I do not have downloads enabled... so if you do that might change the functionality I have described. I just 0.000 weight to indicate things that are non-shippable (like a course) where information is delivered via email.

Cheers,
Hula

LongBranchAssociates

I have a site where we have used the same approach you have used i.e. the download content is emialed to the customer but in this case we applied a shipper "Download" at shipping cost $0 and applied a very low weight value [below the weights of physical items]

I was hoping that you had figured out how to get the standard download funtionality working through the download link and functionality concurrently with shipping physical products

HulaQueen

A product being a download or not is controlled by you saying it is with a check box in the actual product listing (3rd tab I think). I have not tested it but I do believe you could do both.

* Enable downloads in config
* If a product is a true automatic download tick the download tab in the product and set the file type
* If a product is one you want to deal with manually do the low weight trick so it's free, but do not tick the downloadable product check box.

I haven't tried it, but it seems logical it should work! Do let us know what you come up with.

Cheers,
Hula