Author Topic: MOD: Child list instead of drop down. UPDATE(1.0.11) + store wide quantity mod  (Read 456080 times)

macallf

• Mark Callf Design
Re: MOD: Child list instead of drop down. UPDATE (
« Reply #285 on: November 30, 2006, 08:21:24 am »
Mark,
Sorry if this is obvious and I'm just not seeing it...

My understanding is that I should just unzip childList107-2.zip into <site>/components/com_virtuemart/ and then...
But I don't see anything new on Product Information tab. I also don't see the store product page attribute dropdown switch into a form for each variant.

Was the mod supposed to add classes, html, & languages folders to com_virtuemart directory?
Is there a howto somewhere?

Thanks

You were close

it's your-site/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/

You had missed out the administrator part. In doing so you have added all the files to where they will never be accessed.

Mark
Mark
All of My old mods are now available on my website.
Mark Callf Designs

If you like the work I've done for VM please fell free to Donate

Please Note: I am no longer actively developing or involved with VM development.

Davec

Re: MOD: Child list instead of drop down. UPDATE (1.0.7) + store wide quantity m
« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2006, 09:34:35 am »
Finally sorted it out. Involved changing the SKU to something else, then putting how I wanted it in the right order. I then cloned each size and changed colour and all seems to be working well. Still puzzled though as to why this happened on product 3 only...

Dave

Justin Z

• Beginner
Re: MOD: Child list instead of drop down. UPDATE (1.0.7) + store wide quantity m
« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2006, 19:42:42 pm »
Ah, thanks!
But I'm totally not getting this  ???
I added childList107-2.zip to the proper place, and now I see the Child options under the 'Display Options' tab. But selecting anything & everything makes no difference to item view in the store -- still has same drop-down box for varient (attribute) selection.
I also tried changing the SKU and adding Attribues via the Add Attribute form (which goes into the void  -- I can't find where the two new attributes I created went).

Davec

« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2006, 10:15:35 am »
Have you created a New Item? This then becomes the child product. The settings in the attached image produced the look in the actual cart.

If you check the manual for Virtuemart it explains how to creat a new item.

Dave

[attachment cleanup by admin]

pikibou

• Beginner
Hi!

First of all, Thank you very much for that solution!

I just have a little problem and hope you'll be abble to help me.

I have 709 product parents and they all have child products.

The hack works great if I edit the products One by One and choose "Use List box for child products".

But, is there a way to do that for all product at the same time?

Thanks,

Piki

doggy4s

• Beginner
one little problem still

I am getting a gray add to cart button in a list ( others are the graphical one)

G

Justin Z

• Beginner
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2006, 16:51:15 pm »
In the example above you have a table of choices -- two columns: Color and Size. Looks great, but for the life of me I can't replicate that :(

Without the mod, the method of creating varients is using the Attributes form:

Attrb1,var1a,var1b,...;Attrb2,var2a,var2b,...

As everyone here knows, this gives the product two pulls down forms. And that's all I'm able to get.

With the mod, do you still use the Attribute form to enter the variables?

** Edited for the sake of not leaving stale incorrect info in the forums **

When, with the mod, I create a new product catagory, product type, and product, and setup several attributes with a few varients each, and use the settings shown in the image above, I see the same pull downs as before.

Correction: I was not aware that the child products are created as separate products but ONLY UNDER the menu: Curret product -> Add Item or New item icon. They also have "attributes", but they are different from the attribute field used to create radio buttons or pull-downs for a parent item (3rd tab).

So either my mod isn't installed properly (or there's some other problem with the site), or I'm not creating/configuring the product as prescribed (I haven't seen a detailed guide for the mod -- is there one?). 

And it seems that the switch to enable/disable the mod is simply the "List: Use list box for child products" checkbox. Is that correct?

Thanks again for any clarifications.
-Justin

----
ps, can anyone tell me why my IP is shown, vs "logged"?

mog

• ione - world's finest input devices
« Reply #292 on: December 04, 2006, 15:25:30 pm »
This mod is not for changing how the attributes are displayed, it is for the child products only. Add an attribute to a product using the top left menue, then select "Add item" (or similar) from the same menue. This item becomes the child items, you can enter a value for the previously added attribute on the third tab (product status or something like that).

Justin Z

• Beginner
« Reply #293 on: December 04, 2006, 20:44:13 pm »
Quote from: mog
This mod is not for changing how the attributes are displayed, it is for the child products only. Add an attribute to a product using the top left menue, then select "Add item" (or similar) from the same menue. This item becomes the child items, you can enter a value for the previously added attribute on the third tab (product status or something like that).

Ah-ha! So I've been creating the Child items incorrectly. I see where this is going.

Ok, if I open a product, then on main Virtumart menu, I see: Product | Current Product | Add Item (note that this menu link is not available as an icon at the top Virtumart's Product view).  However this takes me to a New Item form, not Child.

Mog, can you please explain "top left menue" -- where are you creating Child product items?

Thanks
-Jaz

macallf

• Mark Callf Design
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2006, 11:12:35 am »
Once your parent product has been created, edit that product and select add attribute from the icons at the top. This attribute is the reference for the child product such as color, size or whatever you want. Once this has been created you can then select add item. This will add the child product.

Mark
Mark
All of My old mods are now available on my website.
Mark Callf Designs

If you like the work I've done for VM please fell free to Donate

Please Note: I am no longer actively developing or involved with VM development.

mog

« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2006, 11:32:02 am »
Yeah that is right, I keep mixing up left an right XD the buttons mentioned come together with the save/apply/cancel... buttons.

Justin Z

• Beginner
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2006, 14:40:12 pm »
Thanks guys. But it just ain't happening for me.
This is so frustrating -- I feel like I seem like an idiot on this board, but I'm not an idiot, I swear!  I've been doing web/sql stuff for 8 years, and working with Mambo/Joomla for 5  :-\

From what read and been told:

0. Backup files
1. Unpack childList107-2.zip into <site>/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/
2. Creat a new product, checking boxes and radio button as in above post by Davec, Save
** Edited for the sake of not leaving stale incorrect info in the forums **
3. Edit product, and choose new attribute from top, right icon. This creates a child product.
** Should have been:
3. Edit parent product, then pick New Item icon (from top right icon group) or choose VM menu Products | Current product | Add Item -- this creates a CHILD item! **

I did this, adding five child items, and I still see only a normal format when I view the product.

(sigh).

If I have the parent product open, and browse the menu to: Product | Current product | List Attributes, then I see the 5 children.

Are the above steps incomplete?

-Jaz

[attachment cleanup by admin]

mog

« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2006, 15:36:51 pm »
Ah ok i got the mistake.

These are not the children, but just the attributes.

Delete these attributes and create 1 new one. In your case a mathcing name would be "size".
Now go back to the parent item and select "add item". You will see a page with blank fields, same like setting up a whole new product. you can add your own sku, price or whatever. everything that is empty will take the data from the parent product.

On the third tab (product status or something like that) you will now see a field labelled "size", this is the attribute that you definied earlier. You can now enter "8 inch". save this item and go back to the frontend.
if you check your product now you should see the item - parent product with 8 inch- at the bottom of the page.

thomas_freeman

• Contributing Developer
    • Kustom Services
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2006, 17:50:42 pm »
This brings up an issue that I also had with Attributes when I first attempted to set up child items.

We use the term Attribute for two very different purposes.  I don't know the history on this but I'm guessing that someone created the child concept from an existing attribute system and never separated the procedures to work with them.

This makes it complicated, not only for us to learn and work with but also for my clients.  I have used different names for it in training so that they see a difference.

Just a quick note while thinking about it.

Justin Z

• Beginner
« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2006, 18:03:11 pm »
Thank you!

I'm now able to use child products!! Yea!!

So, after trying a few things, here are some nit picky observations:

1. Once the parent item is created and the attribute set, There are two ways to add the child:
  a) from the New Item icon in the upper left,
  b) from the horizontal VM menu: Product | Current product | Add Item.

Since one says New and the other Add, it's a bit confusing.

2. Once the "New Item" is saved, the next page says "Item Add Results: <child name>". At this point, I can
  a) goto horizontal VM menu: Products | Current product | Add another item -- in which case it takes me to a new-new item, not a child creation of current item. Since this is different from 1.b (above), this is quite confusing.
  b) click on <child name>, which takes me to the child, not the parent. -- so to add another child I have to navigate the to full product list and select the parent product.

Now that i have the hang of it it's cake, but these concepts were a bit much to guess since I just started using VM a few days ago.

Also, I see that the child products are sorted by name not order of creation, nor do I see the typical form to set the display order.

last, I would like to have a table of sizes, but a pulldown for colors. I tried adding Attributes to both the regular and custom fields, but I don't see any dropdowns.

**Can I not combine the use of child products and attribute dropdowns?