News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Error installing com_virtuemart.4.0.14.10805.zip

Started by man.of.earth, March 20, 2023, 20:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darko F.

The solution from Max is perfect, I personally have more trust in Virtuemart development now than before.

If you look at long term solution for your shop you want to have some solution which you can trust, they will continue with development in future.

Only problem I see is that people don't understand the concept, they think for each domain you will need to pay and they are afraid it will cost too much. That could be turn off for many.

So here is explanation:

I have subscription and I see the link to -> com_virtuemart.4.0.14.10805_package_or_extract.zip

You can download this package and update as many domains you want. Just install package via Joomla extensions.

Only support from developer team will be for one domain and only one domain will have auto update.

I think is more than fair this way.

There in no problem if you fall. Problem is if you don't get up

niosme

Also i am a joomla volunteer and i try to understand the concept and i want you to explain me how an open source user can make an installation at a joomla 4 site.
Prompting users to start with a joomla 3 installation which already stopped updating?
Can you explain me the steps to install it on a Joomla 4 site?

Tell me someone who is not afraid of doing the vm updates because the site can be destroyed or be buggy cause of not tested code etc?
Is virtuemart fully working at php 8 or we should use the outdated php versions with an outdated joomla3 also?
Is text editor really using the tinymce or we have to install the jceeditor?

Want to discuss and count about the tons of bugs still not solved? And not really bugs. But outdated code.
Pay and still have bugs in every site and exposing our selfs in our clients?Exposed already so many times and everyone knows the struggle of updating..because you have to check that everything works fine cause noone does this.

normal code, 20 errors in 100 lines
commercial matured code 10 errors in 100 lines

that is really funny.. so the code i write is a space/nuklear code?
The apps i made like demosites.deliveryplus.gr ( efood web app ) for joomla is a quick order complicated logic application that have no errors and is big enough.When i figure out something i fix it write away.Almost zero errors at uncountable lines of code.
And virtuemart got 10,20 or more errors in each 100 lines of code?

So we are talking about payed beta testers? Is there a really stable version after vm 3.8.8?

To pay is ok but what really changed?
Fullstack Developer and Joomla Expert

Darko F.

I'm using Virtuemart on live J4 websites.

Is not perfect but is the best tool we have for Joomla.

I agree than now for the payment you should get code without bugs.

But I didn't find any extension for Joomla at the moment with bug free  updates.

Except maybe
RO CSVI is bright example

But with all others extensions I always test before I go live or sometime, I just pray to not broke whole site after I update something withut testing :)
There in no problem if you fall. Problem is if you don't get up

loppan

Maybe a bit off topic but still wanted to chip in :

I'm still on VM 3.8.8 10472 & J3.10.11 due to the extreme amounts of custom work and extensions I have on my site. I have not yet dared to upgrade to J4 and VM4, but I understand it will come a day when it's a good idea to do so.

But my point is that I truly support this new business model. VM is a vital part of my business (and my life), and I understand funding has been an issue for a long time. I'm a "hobby developer", and the flexibility VM provides is superior to all other shop systems I've tried out (and that's quite a few).

Looking forward to what the future will bring. Well done @Milbo!

jenkinhill

@ViPeS  The new VM4.0.14 is a full Joomla plus Virtuemart package. Use it as a clean Joomla installation - it is not for updating existing Joomla sites, but functions as a starter for those trying out VM as it is pre-configured with sample data. Unfortunately, the "updater" in Joomla lists it incorrectly.

See http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=149706.msg534877#msg534877
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

pinochico

QuoteThe main think here is that there is no e commerce free solution in joomla 4 and later.

You are wrong...
If you know, then you can create installation package from SVN - we created copy into github.
Or you can use other app, not VirtueMart which is free.
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

niosme

"you can create installation package from SVN" does this have sql changes?

My question is how a normal user can add e commerce funtionallity to a joomla 4 already installed site.Can someone write down the steps?

Also the full installation package for joomla 3 throws 500 internal server error before installing. ( we cannot even check what is fixed or if it fits our needings in a demo installation ) Can someone write down the steps for this too?

This is so funny but the 1st of April didnt yet come!

kiro789

Maybe you can make stable and bug free version like 4.0.14 and then make it paid, from 4.0.14 and above.

Regards!

jenkinhill

Quote from: niosme on March 27, 2023, 11:54:58 AM

Also the full installation package for joomla 3 throws 500 internal server error before installing. ( we cannot even check what is fixed or if it fits our needings in a demo installation ) Can someone write down the steps for this too?

The http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/1362/VirtueMart4.0.14_Joomla_3.10.11-Stable-Full_Package.zip  installs just fine for me with no errors.

Download the package and FTP onto the server. Unzip the package (if your host does not support zip then unzip locally and FTP all the files to the server). Then follow the standard Jooml installation procedure:  https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing_Joomla

cPanel can usually be used where FTP is not available.

When Joomla installation completes you are offered to install VirtueMart or VirtueMart with sample data. I always recommend installing sample data as then there is already a working shop demo.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

niosme

Joomla installs just fine when i unzip it but the vm stable full package throws 500 error.
Also i prefer to use joomla 4 as joomla 3 is not recommended and abbandoned.

It maybe its the folders rights i cannot imagine why is this happening. Because i am the host also with my own ip's and server i upload it via ftp also via cpanel unzip it and called the url to continue installation. I will do more tries to see if a can achieve that. I have done uncountouble installations before this is the first time this is happening.

Quote"You are wrong...
If you know, then you can create installation package from SVN - we created copy into github."
Still cant find the sql changes on the svn package you all guys saying which is a main think on updates.

Free for buggy known versions is like a trap. Its not the right way to go. But paying to become just a payed beta tester? as i see the latest version have still a lot of bugs/errors.At least before we got kwown bugs that we fixed them by changing the core code or by overwrites to get it work,but now like before and in every installation or update its like opening a box of bugs and randomly choosing from the box.Something fixing something else its been destroyed.

Quote"Or you can use other app, not VirtueMart which is free."
Free by what meaning? In our case what i clearly can say we have the free beta testers to a kwown buggy version and payed ones to kwown and ukwown bugs.

One ananswered question i have also is
"How a normal user can add e commerce funtionallity to a joomla 4 already installed site.Can someone write down the steps?"

We still must use old joomla 3 instead of joomla 4 and an completly outaded php version to have vm running.

And i ask again. Is really something changed? For me is just getting more and more difficutl every time which i already kwon the steps.Imagine someone who is new on that headache.
Best regards.

pinochico

QuoteStill cant find the sql changes on the svn package you all guys saying which is a main think on updates.

SQL what?

We have VirtueMart and VirtueMart AIO in our github from SVN.
I save from github to zip and install into Joomla.
What do you mean SQL changes?
Do you want package only for update (as Joomla)?

I don't see anytime for VM

QuoteFree by what meaning?

The idea is that other ecommerce applications for Joomla are free.
But for my purposes they don't suit
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

niosme

Whoever wants a bug free version i am posting my customized installation where i fixed some common and uncommon bugs.
It doesnt include frontend templates as i never use them cause i have made my own.Αlso this version runs perfect with php 8 and joomla 3 & 4.
I done some customizations on the backend template for joomla 4 cause it looks like crap but i ll not post them.You can add that kind of customizations in custom.css or user.css file template file you use.

Here is my bug free version if anyone needs it.Its what i use to be calm.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1v1xtomlrf4n7g3/com_virtuemart.4.0.12.10777_package_or_extract_CUSTOMIZED_LAST.zip/file

Studio 42

niosme. VM have an internal checking tool on install for SQL table updates. So no you don not see directly the mysql changes
About your package. You can perhaps explain what you fix in your custom package ?

niosme

QuoteVM have an internal checking tool on install for SQL table updates. So no you don not see directly the mysql changes
That was on reference that we can create our own installation of 4.0.14 but we see only files and we have not the internal checking tool for SQL table updates.
You can make an installation for free to check what solved or not but that installation will have outdated database. So this installation will not work as expected is what i am saying. So as a result we cannot create installation from SVN.

So i fixed router , editor custom field which was buggy , done some changes to work with php8, fixed router problems by replacing with the latest version vm files, children product prices which they not inherting price.Also passed some files from the latest vm version.
Now i dont remember if something else is fixed but i dont think show. I pass the changes inside when i see something fixed.

Also i use your extensions which are awesome like the vmcustom_variant which is brilliant and small which i found it before a week or two. Also from minijoomla which he have awesome extensions also as product import.
You guys doing a nice job there.

But as i am saying letting a buggy version to let users install it and the prompt them to buy another buggy as we see in the forum posts is not a way to go.
Its like setting a trap waiting a user to be disappointed to make him pay.
As i dont expect your extensions that i pay to have bugs vm should have not have that kind of bugs like not running on php8 and a lot of other problems like routing.

So in conlcusion i just fixed some common problems, i made it work in joomla 4 with latest php.Also i replaced some of the updated files of the latest version 4.0.14.

hazael

In this new version I found a bug and went back to the previous 4.0.12

After launching the new version, additional images in the product list stopped showing up.

I believe that everything should be tested before publishing a stable version.