News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Remove order confirmation email tracking info

Started by zheekan, April 20, 2021, 12:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zheekan

Hi all,
I've tried and failed to remove the last bit of information you get as a shopper in the order confirmation email which is the line with order number, password and tracking link.
The order tracking mode is set to NONE in Configuration > Checkout, and I've removed all the lines of code in mail_html_shopper.php (found in /components/com_virtuemart/views/invoice/tmpl).

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thank you!

Jörgen

You are using overrides, check your templates directory.
Please also Google how to use overrides in Joomla.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

zheekan

I went to check and unfortunately that is not the case.
I even tryed creating an override folder under templates/mytemplate/html/com_virtuemart/invoice and modified the mail_html.php file and commented out this:
// echo $this->loadTemplate($this->recipient . '_more');

Is that what I should do?

GJC Web Design

it is the first table row (<tr> ) 2nd & 3rd td in
components\com_virtuemart\views\invoice\tmpl\mail_html_shopper.php

over ride that

<tr>
   <!-- <td width="30%" align="left" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;">-->
     <td width="100%" align="left" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;" colspan="3">
<?php echo vmText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_MAIL_SHOPPER_YOUR_ORDER'); ?><br />
<strong><?php echo $this->orderDetails['details']['BT']->order_number ?></strong>
</td>
  <!-- <td width="30%" align="left" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;">
<?php
if( VmConfig::get('ordertracking','guests') == 'guestlink' or (VmConfig::get('ordertracking','guests') == 'guests' and empty($this->orderDetails['details']['BT']->virtuemart_user_id))){
    echo vmText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_MAIL_SHOPPER_YOUR_PASSWORD'); ?>
<br />
    <strong><?php echo $this->orderDetails['details']['BT']->order_pass ?></strong>
<?php ?>
</td>
    <td width="40%" align="center" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;">
<a class="default" title="<?php echo $this->vendor->vendor_store_name ?>" href="<?php echo $orderlink ?>" style="display: inline-block; padding: 5px 10px; background-color: #000000; color:#b9298b; text-decoration: none;">
<?php echo vmText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_MAIL_SHOPPER_YOUR_ORDER_LINK'); ?></a>
</td>-->
  </tr>
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

zheekan

Hi, thank you for your input!
Unfortunately it doesn't work, and I can't find what I'm doing wrong.
I've hidden those two td's with "display: none" and moved the file to /templates/mytemplate/html/com_virtuemart/invoice/mail_html_shopper.php

Jörgen

This is simple debugging. We can not make Your code for You.

Add somethin in the code for example in php add:

echo "this is a text for test";

This is to make sure that you are editing the correct file.

I am quite sure that You are using a custom template and this can have a quite different file structure compared to the standard file structure. This means that the file GJC is mentioning may not even be called in Your code or have a different layout.

It is like giving advice how to repair an Audi with the repair handbook for Ferrari.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

zheekan

Quote from: Jörgen on April 21, 2021, 20:42:07 PM
This is simple debugging. We can not make Your code for You.

Add somethin in the code for example in php add:

echo "this is a text for test";

This is to make sure that you are editing the correct file.

I am quite sure that You are using a custom template and this can have a quite different file structure compared to the standard file structure. This means that the file GJC is mentioning may not even be called in Your code or have a different layout.

It is like giving advice how to repair an Audi with the repair handbook for Ferrari.

Aaaaand (drumroll), you were right  ;D

But, just to make it easier for someone that might have the same issues as me:
I'm using yootheme pro, and to be able to use their builder for creating virtuemart layouts I had to buy and instal VMuikit X plugin that enables that.
As the yootheme template does not have com_virtuemart files in its HTML folder I thought that the template had nothing to do with those emails, but it turns out that the plugin has all the views   :o
Also, I use a child theme for yootheme, so I had to create a html/com_virtuemart/invoice/ folder there and upload the override there.

Sorry for the time used, but you all helped.
Thank you

GJC Web Design

QuoteI'm using yootheme pro, and to be able to use their builder for creating virtuemart layouts I had to buy and instal VMuikit X plugin that enables that.

sounds like a money making racket to me ....

have never understood why the likes of Yoo vastly complicate what is essentially a simple system for no conceivable gain apart from to make any adjustments difficult...
GJC Web Design
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component

zheekan

Couldn't the same be said for Virtuemart and the number of commercial plugins that follow it?  ;)

I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say and I'm definitely not here to defend Yootheme, but I'll give you my view as a person that has been with joomla from 2007 and version 1.0.13.
I create websites, but more as a designer, not as a programmer, even though I deliver the end product all done by myself. I understand and use HTML and CSS, but don't have a clue what to do with PHP :D
From my perspective, with yootheme pro builder they delivered an amazing templating system with which I can create just about anything (visually) in a short period of time and for me that's a game changer. I have to give them kudos for that as now I'm able to produce a bigger number of websites than I could before.
I don't see why would they extend their builder functionality to external plugins, that's a thing other developers should do if they see there is a (commercial) need for that. And there is definitely a need for someone to make virtuemart templating system easier, because I really don't see how modifying a virtuemart template is easy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way I see that it can be done is by coding it yourself, right?
So, from what you said in your comment I believe you're more of a programmer than a designer, and if so then your view on their product is correct for you :)

But let me tell you this, I consider myself skilled enough with Joomla and multiple plugins I use to extend its functionality (I've created a few hundred websites to date, to satisfied customers), but working with Virtuemart was a first trully bad experience for me.
This was the first time I encountered an extension that was much more complicated in areas I would expect to be much more user friendly. That does not mean that the extension itself is bad, but it definitely isn't created for an average Joe like myself.

Also, Virtuemart is the sole reason I gave wordpress another chance (tried a few times, abandoned every time after a few hours). And, from what I see, Woocommerce is MUCH more user friendly for "developers" like me. Again, I'm not bashing Virtuemart here, but from my perspective it was done by programmers, for programmers.

This is definitely something I wanted to discuss with the community here on the forum after I finish this project, but here they are, my thoughts about working with Virtuemart. I hate the fact I had to go to Wordpress to find an alternative because I really value Joomla. It's stable, functional, and does what it says it does.
I installed a wordpress copy on my work server, installed woocommerce, and created an awesome test shop easily. And then it was down in two weeks because someone broke in to it and trashed it. Something like that never happened with joomla. And even after that I'm not tempted to learn how to manage Virtuemart, instead I'm tempted to learn how to make wordpress more secure. And I dont even like wordpress  ;D

GJC Web Design

QuoteCouldn't the same be said for Virtuemart and the number of commercial plugins that follow it?
Not really ...  my point is why should u need a commercial plugin to do something that can be done in Notepad in 30 seconds?

QuoteCorrect me if I'm wrong, but the only way I see that it can be done is by coding it yourself, right?
correct

GJC Web Design

zheekan

QuoteNot really ...  my point is why should u need a commercial plugin to do something that can be done in Notepad in 30 seconds?

I'd really, really like to see those layouts done in 30 seconds.

Jörgen

I think You are talking about different things.

zheekan means ALL the layout changes that he has done, GJC means the change zheekan is writing about. Even though 30 seconds is a very optimistic estimation  ;)

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

AH

Zeehan

30 seconds sounds about right to me - maybe an extra 5 to upload to live - so lets say 35 or push it and say 1 minute.

QuoteI understand and use HTML and CSS, but don't have a clue what to do with PHP :D

A basic working knowledge of CSS and HTML is no longer enough for professional web designers/deliverers.  Joomla and its components are built in PHP and SQL and JS if you use it - your customers should be expecting more for any money they part with.

QuoteFrom my perspective, with yootheme pro builder they delivered an amazing templating system
They probably do - I love term "pro" - It be better named "Amateur builder" - which for the vast majority of amateurs will be enough.

QuoteAnd there is definitely a need for someone to make virtuemart templating system easier, because I really don't see how modifying a virtuemart template is easy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way I see that it can be done is by coding it yourself, right?
Modifying a template is super easier if you have learned the skills necessary to trade under the term "web designer"

QuoteSo, from what you said in your comment I believe you're more of a programmer than a designer, and if so then your view on their product is correct for you :)
Just for the record - the comment was made by someone who has worked internationally on delivering complete solutions - both in terms of design and technical capabilities.
But let me tell you this, I consider myself skilled enough with Joomla and multiple plugins I use to extend its functionality
Which makes you a competent user of existing functionality. Like thousands in the Joomla community.

Quote(I've created a few hundred websites to date, to satisfied customers), but working with Virtuemart was a first trully bad experience for me. This was the first time I encountered an extension that was much more complicated in areas I would expect to be much more user friendly. That does not mean that the extension itself is bad, but it definitely isn't created for an average Joe like myself.
Which makes me wonder why you class yourself as a web designer?

QuoteWoocommerce is MUCH more user friendly for "developers" like me.
You have already said you are not a developer - you are at best a competent user of existing tools and software to deliver a website.

I installed a wordpress copy on my work server, installed woocommerce, and created an awesome test shop easily. And then it was down in two weeks because someone broke in to it and trashed it. Something like that never happened with joomla. And even after that I'm not tempted to learn how to manage Virtuemart, instead I'm tempted to learn how to make wordpress more secure. And I dont even like wordpress 
And this is the comment that has made me respond to the rest of the post! - You use a package that was not secure, you will still continue to use it  - You profess not to know how to code (CSS and HTML is not considered coding in most circles) and you intend to learn how secure wordpress better - Surely you start at that point and move forward !

I agree that it would be great if VM could have a wonderfully simple templating system developed for it so every user could deliver great looking and working sites.  Many webshops employ people with the pre-requisite skills required to work with CMS systems and have already developed and continue to develop great customised templates for their customers.

Millions of people think that WIX, Squarespace,  Wordpress, Shopify etc meet their needs.  Why bother with a designer in the first place.

If all a designer offers is package knowledge and a bit of drag and drop - then users may be on the right track for their project.  Just grab a free template, pay your subscription and off you go!  Unless, of course, there is more to it than that ........
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

zheekan

The way this conversation is going benefits absolutely no one, so let me try and offer my thoughts to anyone who might care, as clear as I can.
I trully value Joomla and its' ecosystem, including Virteumart as a part of it even though I see you got the impression that I don't.
Joomla is a big part of what puts bread on my table, and even though you might consider me to be something less than a web designer, it is still something that I do and will do in the future, using Joomla.
Yes, my strenghts are very unevenly distributed among all the skills and knowledge a person should posess to be able to produce anything online. Nevertheless, I am able to acquire new clients, find out what their needs are, and if we're compatible I create all the visuals they need, plus a website with some functionality beyond it being just a pretty flyer with a domain name. Usualy my client is a person/company that either never had a website or has a really bad one, and I believe I give them a push to the next level. Certainly not the ultimate level, but next level for sure. If I'm not able to deliver that, I don't take the project.

Web creators that create web sites the way I do, and I'm quite sure there is many more like me out there, value extensions that extend the functionality of Joomla and are willing to pay for them. The more user friendly and functional the software is, the more I'm willing to pay. That's why GJC's comment about yootheme was weird to me because something that is so straight forward and user friendly in doing what it says it does is called a money racket, but saying that Virtuemart is not user friendly is a no no. I found out that there is a Virtuemart addon that enables you to solve the problem I had with the email - it costs 149€. If I applied the same logic you did, that would sound awfully lot like a money racket to me, but it doesn't. Someone spent time to create it, and they believe it's worth that ammount of money. What I usually do in a situation like that is that I read the documentation and ask the community to see if there is a different solution to the problem. If not, I have to buy.

Through the years I went through many, many joomla plugins and my experience is that Virtuemart has one of the least intuitive interfaces out there in the joomla ecosystem, and I believe the experience gets even worse once you try to go through the documentation to find a solution for whatever you're trying to alter that isn't a standard install. What bugs me the most is that I belive that that's just the front face of an otherwise really powerfull component. After all, I went with Virtuemart and not any of the other components offered on the market.

As I said in my post before, this was something that I was quite interested in discussing with the community here, but somehow the conversation got where it got.
I am genuinely interesed if there are any plans to make Virtuemart any better in the user experience area, and I'm willing to help if help from a guy like me is possible or wanted.

I value different opinions and I believe that a conversation is the best way to go forward, so if anyone wants to have a conversation about that - great. If not, I thank you for your help with solving the issue I had.

Cheers from Croatia

Jörgen

@zheekan

Thanks for Your input, I appreciate that You have a sensible approach and more insight than many other web developers.Every project, paid or not is depending on involved users. I hope we haven´t scared You off and that You will continue to be a VM user.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x