News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

System keeps sending email notifications

Started by wicko, April 06, 2021, 11:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicko

I can see that the order status are definitely being set to confirmed so looks like the PayPal status is being returned ok. The issue is that Virtuemart keeps sening the customer notifications that their order has been received. Must be someting else that keeps updating the order status and then sending the customer notifications.
Designing and maintaining Joomla websites since 2007

Jörgen

How does the order status log look like. Are the notifications logged ? Order edit view.

I guess paypal gets a error reply on the update URL which leed to more replies. This seem to be leading to your provider filtering traffic to and from your site.

Jörgen
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

wicko

Hi Jörgen

For instance I see one of the latest order staus updated reported here.

Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:04    No   Pending   
Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:09    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:15    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:21    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:27    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:32    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:39    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 18:47    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 19:00    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 19:22    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 20:05    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Thursday, 08 April 2021 21:53    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Friday, 09 April 2021 00:44    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal
Friday, 09 April 2021 06:26    Yes   Confirmed   Your payment for order A75V0139 has been confirmed by PayPal

When I look at the tarnsaction logs they all appear the same.

Checked the server error logs and see nothing there.

David

Jörgen

The call from Paypal is clearly coming through. It is the return call that does not get sent from VM. Probably caught by some filtering in htaccess, mayby CDN or otherwise from your host. This is usually not a VM issue.

As long as PayPal deos not see a correct return value PayPal will continue to send updates.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotgrafi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

AH

Look into any plugins you have - shipping - payments - cmsmart

The base VM paypal system does not continually send an email on a confirmed payment
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

wicko

I keep it fairly simple
Using the PayPal standard plugin VM Payment - PayPal
Shipping is the standard  VM Shipment - By weight, ZIP and countries
Only additional plugin used is CMSmart one page checkout which is hanfdles the checkout and not the email confirmations.

I do get the follow errors on the update page
Update: :Extension: Could not parse http://virtuemart.net/releases/vm3/plg_vmpayment_eway_update.xml
Update: :Extension: Could not parse http://virtuemart.net/releases/vm3/plg_vmcustom_download_simple_update.xml

regards

David

AH

Glad you kept it simple

QuoteOnly additional plugin used is CMSmart one page checkout which is handles the checkout and not the email confirmations.

David, what you think handles the triggering of an email - is not the same as what actually triggers an email.  It is quite possible for a plugin to generate a trigger that affects a payment method and causes such behaviour that you have seen.

The trigger -
function plgVmConfirmedOrder

Can be incorrectly called by other plugins and cause the behaviour that you are experiencing

The default VM paypal plugin is tested widely and we do not see your problem.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

wicko

The site runs on
PHP 7.3.27
Joomla 3.9.25
VM 3.8.8

I would have thought that a confirmation email is sent by the system when an order is updates. The repeat confirmations are only send for confirmed orders.

Will also connect with CMSmart to see if they have anything that would be causing this. I thik CMSmart have recently been taken over by Cloodo and they have issue with their own account area so could be related.

David

pinochico

Check CMSmart one page checkout
can call payment plugins triggers repeteally

After change VM 3.2 to 3.4 we have to change our payment Gopay plugin - we have the same problem
But Paypal plugin is core VM, then only one extensions who call payment triggers can be OPC, I think
Or wrong setup Paypal

About this issues in my head is no more :)
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

AH

Pinochio

It is not a wrong setup in PayPal - nothing changed there.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

wicko

Still no real joy with this. Not heard back from CMSmart regarding the One Page checkout.
It is odd as some orders get more notifications than others.
I will disable One Page checkout and use the Virtuemart default to see if this resovede the issue.

David

wicko

I have had an updated list of IPNs from PayPal but this still has not fixed the issue.

This was the list:
66.211.170.66, 173.0.81.1, 173.0.81.0/24, 173.0.81.33, 173.0.81.65, 173.0.81.140, 64.4.240.0/21, 64.4.248.0/22, 66.211.168.0/22, 173.0.80.0/20, 91.243.72.0/23

having checked the paypal.1.log.php and see the following error
2021-05-01 16:52:19 ERROR validateIpnContent: Invalid IPN validation: NO ANSWER FROM PAYPAL

GJC Web Design

ips like 64.4.240.0/21 are a range so if your inputting them this is a shed load of ip addresses ...    2048 in this case

I have switched off the IPN check on my clients sites till a better solution is found
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

wicko

Ok so here is an update.

I have gone into PayPal and turned off IPN notifications. Then made a few test orders and I am still getting multiple notifications. I got 5 notifications as a customer within the first 5 minutes.

So when I then refunded the payments from PayPal I started to get multiple refund notifications from the site also. But I didn't update anything on the site so it must still be getting notificatiojs from PayPal even though I have turned it off. This is crazy.

Think we will be removing PayPal very soon and switching to another payment gateway.

AH

From what I can tell

You cannot turn off IPN notifications via PayPal

It always sends the as VM sends the relevant URL for IPN responses
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0