News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtuemart Dead or Alive ? Whats the roadmap and future ?

Started by dirkb, December 17, 2020, 15:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Smith

Well, here I am again after what could well be a decade and the sheer irony is that the same type of discussion is happening.  I can't remember what version the product was then, but I believe the dire do-or-die issue was the gargantuan refactoring of code to be properly compatible with Joomla and modern methods. 

I do want to say that I am grateful to those who have stuck with the project for all these years.  So glad that VM is still around and that it integrates with Joomla so well.  Also grateful that Joomlart (whom I have a subscription with) have a whole [Mod edit. Link removedtemplate section for those compatible with VirtueMart installs[/url].  23 VirtueMart templates for Joomla and the quickstart versions come loaded with VM + demo data! 

Having the template availability makes such a difference.  In the old days you'd be templating for Joomla (mystical knowledge in itself) and then having to sort out the remaining templating to make VM look the way you wanted it to.  I can still remember a friend of mine complaining about the difficulties of getting to the bottom of it all as he learned where to make changes.

Clearly there have been some amazing improvements over the years.  And what a joy it was to switch on the new admin template for VM as part of my current install.  It is a thing of streamlined beauty and really adds to the experience.

Andrew

GJC Web Design

GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

razor7

Beign a mambo/joomla/vm user since 2004, it's pretty sad to me to see a 6 months discussion thread with so little moderators/devs feedback. In my opinion Joomla/VM is great, but it's really sad to see new features pop out every new release in all competitors software but VM. Hope the VM team get it together and starts to get the project in the right direction.

PS: I hate WP and WC! all nice until you have to make a customization...then you need a real good PHP IDE and debugger!
MGS Creativa - VirtueMart Payment Plugin Experts
http://www.mgscreativa.com

Take a look at our downloads section for VirtueMart payment plugins and mouch more!
http://www.mgscreativa.com/en/online-store

GJC Web Design

Quotebut it's really sad to see new features pop out every new release in all competitors software but VM

what new features are u looking for?
GJC Web Design
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component

T.A. Garrison, LLC

I think new features are a good thing.

However, until and unless the "current" features are fixed so that they function 100% instead of 80% and then corrupt the database, or, go months after the latest release and there is no way to update VM, all of that has to stop in order for VM to move forward.

VM 4.0.12 cannot be updated. Period.
I have it installed in several sites and there is no way I'm going to completely destroy each site and rebuild the sites with the "Full Package" which is Joomla 3 and VM 4.0.14 - all I need is VM 4.0.14

Well, that's not all I need. I also need VM developers to go through the code and figure out why ANY Child product created for and within the Multi Variant Ramifications is "NOT" deleted from the database when it's been deleted in administration.

If someone creates a Multi Variant with Ramifications, but does not create it properly, then the Multi Variant needs to be deleted and start over.
If you do delete the Multi Variant - without first deleting all of the children 1-by-1 (and even then I have no idea if that will solve the problem), then the children remain in the database. I know...I'm staring at hundreds of them.

There is no "roadmap" for VM without assuring those of us who've been using VM since version 1 and Mambo until the "current" version is "rock solid" in functionality.

Worse, I can't get any response from VM developers, even if I offer them money!
T.A. Garrison, LLC
3150 Orleans St. # 28261
Bellingham, WA 98228

T.A. Garrison, LLC

Thank you for those links.
I'm glad that Milbo is taking that stand. I wish it were more widely published so that I wouldn't have spent the last 3 weeks pulling out what little hair I have left.

I have no problem paying for assistance. Just let everybody know that is an option now.
Where was that link posted?
T.A. Garrison, LLC
3150 Orleans St. # 28261
Bellingham, WA 98228

GJC Web Design

GJC Web Design

fapi2

About VM Support membership ... on 2023/04/17 i have open a ticket, unanswered to date :(
I accidentally didn't enter my domain name when registering the Membership Bronze order (on 2023/04/06), thinking it would be possible to enter it later. I was misled by the text that read "You may enter domains to register here, but you can also use the live registration, which will register any domain you want as long as you have free slots"... so I was thinking of a registration live, but I don't know how to do it.
I entered the code RU4zUTAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in the VirtueMart configuration as card number, but I get the following message: "Domains do not match stored sent fapi2.it".
Can you kindly help me figure out how to fix it?
The system now offers me an upgrade from version 4.0.12 to 4.0.14 which I can't do. I can only download version 4.0.18 manually, but "automatically" nothing seems to work. What did I do wrong? :'(

ViPeS

Registration Membership for domain started working with version 4.0.14 10805
See https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=149474.msg534936#msg534936
But auto-upgrade is not implemented.
Upgrade manually to 4.0.18
VM 4.2.6 10972, Joomla 4.4.3, PHP 8.1.13

fapi2

with VM x.18, : "Domains do not match" message remaine :'(

Studio 42

Modify administrator/components/com_virtuemart/helpers/adminui.php
function writeVmm
I hate to show this and has contributed more the 15 months to VM code and no standard solution to remove this advertisement

unpsnae

Quote from: zheekan on April 29, 2021, 23:03:23 PM
Anyway, let's continue  ;D

A question, is there any publicly available statistical data about how many users VM has right now?

I know that my opinion is irrelevant but i have to post it to vent on the VM issues.

The question above, although it is 2 year old, intrigued me. I am not a "new user" of the Virtuemart Platform. I used at least 8 accounts owned by my customers & colleagues over the years (web designing companies) as i use it since 2012 and i considered it (past tense) to be one of the most innovative and beautifully community created eCommerce solutions on the internet, that alongside Joomla! Project was the perfect match.

The current standings for Virtuemart are:

• Οut of 335 E-commerce Technologies, it is ranked at 109th place, used by 464 eShops pulling on 0.013% of the market share.
  • At the same time the dramatically inferior, stubborn and complex without any reason Woocommerce, is ranked as no 1 used by 1,415,247 companies sitting at 41.03% of the market.

I understand that VM and Joomla! are community distributions that all of us source our magic and our knowledge to create it, in comparison to WP that is a Company Created Project and VM lacks in funding but i am so mad, frustrated and discouraged with the new "members" only update situation and overall on the state the platform stands...

All those years i was so hard on the prices of the Virtuemart store. 170€-200€ for Templates that were never updated to the new UI/UX standards and were so outdated that the only thing older on the internet was Flash sites! 70€-90€ for plugins and addons that third party individuals created and sold for 19€-35€?

With those prices and the lack of visual innovation, it was hard for us (loyal users and helping community) to even think about convincing our customers to buy a Virtuemart addon-theme so to sustain the momentum of the initial developer (our hero) and the community around the project. Even the Donate button had a fixed price on it(!!!).

I always thought that if the prices were normal, e.g. 50€ for a nice template and 35€-45€ for a good plugin-addon, then we would not jump to other external solutions, but we would buy the VM template and we would work on it as Web Designers and bring it Up to Date.

At the same time, if the fee for the membership was based on normal standards considering it is an annual expense for a Company, or if it was kept at the same level but as an "one off payment", then we wouldn't be standing at 0.014% of the market.

I have used, designed and Sold eShops based on Woocommerce, HikaShop, J2Store, OpenCart, Pestashop, Shopify and Virtuemart is the best CMS to own and work (when it works properly without bugs... so rarely). But long story short, to ask from me to pay 75€/year per Customer (each customer has to own an account) you are crazy!

Even pagination needs fixing out of the box!

That situation saddens all people that were always there even for the translation part of the CMS and loved the platform. We are forced to rebuild our eShops on other inferior technologies, either free or paid, in order to not pay the constantly bug infested 4 version high priced updates and annual fees of an OPEN SOURCE PROJECT.

Kuubs

Is is dead? I have a couple of bugs that seem to be not respond to on this forum. But also the hour bought i dont get any response.. it seems that virtuemart is abonded :(

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum